Main Menu

The Orville

Started by mirth, May 16, 2017, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on September 13, 2017, 05:34:01 AM
I'm sticking with Quark.

You just want his gold-pressed latinum.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

It's a good thing I don't live on DS9. I'd never leave Quark's.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

The first episode was meh, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Sir Slash

Not quite as much fun as watching Roller Derby. But close.  L:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Did this get better? I watched Vietnam instead last night.

MetalDog

I've watched most of both episodes and I am super unimpressed.  It's not funny, and its homage to Star Trek, while neat to look at, I have the real thing if I am feeling nostalgic.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

WallysWorld

I thought the second episode was good. Better than the premiere. Enough to keep me watching for now.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

WallysWorld

Quote from: Tuna on September 18, 2017, 05:41:55 AM
Did this get better? I watched Vietnam instead last night.
PBS' "The Vietnam War" was very good last night. The only other Vietnam documentary that I consider just as good is "The Ten Thousand Day War".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

I'll watch episode 2 tonight.

JasonPratt

Watched Ep 1 last week; aside from the continuous toilet humor, I was pretty impressed with the level of loving homage satire. Enough so that I was annoyed the NFL game delayed last night's ep being recorded. Dad liked it, too. We'll probably watch the whole thing on Blu or Prime or Netflix someday.

Haven't caught the new Vietnam series, which I was a little amazed Dad was recording since he didn't want to watch The Ten Thousand Day War (itself more skewed as an apologetic for the NVA/VC than the book, although otherwise pretty accurate as an account).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

I expect it will take at least half a season to find itself properly.
go back and watch the first season of TNG for a truly painful experience.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2017, 12:48:47 PM
I expect it will take at least half a season to find itself properly.
go back and watch the first season of TNG for a truly painful experience.

That's what I was thinking too.

JasonPratt

Aside from cribbing character and aesthetic design heavily from TNG (and poking fun at it, including what sounds a lot like Brent Spiner playing the android, although I didn't notice him in the credits), I would say the first ep solidly beat either half of "Encounter At Farpoint".

To clarify, TNG's opening two-parter definitely created an iconic look, and its plotline (either half) was more ambitious. But the story in the Orville pilot meant more, personally, to several characters involved. Also, it looked sharp as hell -- Dad and I both commented favorably on the production design several times. "Shield", owned and funded by ABC/Disney, looks mostly rat-assy by comparison, even after what is it, five seasons now? At least four seasons. (I mention this comparison via Adrienne Palicki, who was adorable on Shield, and starting off well here.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

3 of the first 5 episodes were directed by Star Trek alum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orville#Episodes