The Magicians

Started by bayonetbrant, April 15, 2017, 08:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Anyone watching this one?

I'm through S1 Ep2 on Netflix and hooked...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I saw the ads on Syfy last year but have not checked it out. With that endorsement of yours I may do so now.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2017, 09:04:53 PM
I saw the ads on Syfy last year but have not checked it out. With that endorsement of yours I may do so now.

it's Harry Potter for grown-ups. 
The kids are all in grad school, so there's a lot of adult themes of sex, drugs, bad decision-making, regret, revenge...  or as Mirth calls it - "Thursday"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jamus34

I read the books, looking to check out the show...I will give the author credit that he did a good good job showing growth and changing tone in the books.

Book 1 I likened to Holden Caulfield goes to Hogwarts.

Book 2's ending almost had me give up on the series. I doubt that I've read a more disturbing conclusion to a novel; and I've read some doozies.

Book 3 concluded things a little too neatly but better than most trilogies that I've read.
Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

I'm up to S1 Ep5 at this point.  Might get Ep6 before the wife & son get back from the RHCP concert

jamus34

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 15, 2017, 09:59:47 PM
I'm up to S1 Ep5 at this point.  Might get Ep6 before the wife & son get back from the RHCP concert

Question - is it GOT level of not appropriate for anyone under the age of 18 or do they tone it down a bit?

bayonetbrant

There's some language, but it's nowhere near GoT-level explicit

There's one 'sex scene' in the first episode, but no one is naked.

Honestly, I could see my 14-yo watching these with me.

jamus34

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 15, 2017, 10:08:45 PM
There's some language, but it's nowhere near GoT-level explicit

There's one 'sex scene' in the first episode, but no one is naked.

Honestly, I could see my 14-yo watching these with me.

Thanks BB!

bayonetbrant

It's not like it's anything he hasn't heard while riding in the car with me during rush hour.  He's used to language :)

MetalDog

Quote from: jamus34 on April 15, 2017, 09:40:22 PM
I read the books, looking to check out the show...I will give the author credit that he did a good good job showing growth and changing tone in the books.

Book 1 I likened to Holden Caulfield goes to Hogwarts.

Book 2's ending almost had me give up on the series. I doubt that I've read a more disturbing conclusion to a novel; and I've read some doozies.

Book 3 concluded things a little too neatly but better than most trilogies that I've read.

I did give up at Book 2.  Don't remember if I finished it or not.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

egg_salad

I watched all of Season 1.  Other than the protagonist being a bit whiny, I liked it.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

bayonetbrant

I'm up thru Ep8 now.  Slowed down a bit now that I have to share the TV in the evening.  The first 4-5 episodes I got thru when the wife had our son at a concert

bayonetbrant

Ok, update to the question earlier about being kid-friendly

There's more sexual content in later episodes, and I don't know that if let my son watch at this point
There's a whole episode on sex magic
There's a rape scene that becomes a primary motivation for one of the main characters
There's way more than I'd let him watch
It's not quite GoT, but maybe I've step below that

JasonPratt

I gather there's some pretty hard-core darkness in the series, since the concept essentially deconstructs the Narnia and Potter stories (and some of Potter is already pretty dark). The author himself states that everything including the Potter series exists in the story except C. S. Lewis and the Narnia novels -- these having been replaced by the "Filory and Further" novels and their secretly evil author.  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I understand real magicians are planning on boycotting the show. Or else just making it disappear behind a curtain.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.