Main Menu

VPN

Started by mirth, March 29, 2017, 10:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Now that Congress has totally screwed us on Internet Privacy, I am seriously considering using a VPN service.

These are a couple of links from my early research:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

https://www.lifewire.com/best-vpn-service-providers-4061659

If anyone here has experience with a VPN service for personal use, please let me know.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

No experience with this but I'll be watching this thread because it sounds like a great idea.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

I admittedly don't know much about VPNs other than the recent vote has really pissed me off.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

mirth

This article does a good job of breaking down the entire issue and the differences between what Google and Facebook do to track you and what your ISP can do

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/28/congress_approves_sale_of_internet_histories/

mirth

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on March 29, 2017, 02:21:13 PM
I started by installing this plugin - https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

It goes without saying but....don't install any "plugins" that Star recommends. Or if you do, don't post pictures   8) :o

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I was all set to switch to Opera until I read this:

QuoteAlso, I'm obligated to point out that even though Opera's parent company is European, it was recently purchased by a consortium of Chinese tech companies, and there is a non-zero risk that it could be compromised by the Chinese government.

:tickedoff:

Staggerwing

There's always the option of doing all your browsing of 'questionable' searches on a cash-pre-paid android phone so your employer/ex-wife's lawyer/megacorp injury defense lawyer can't buy your browsing history from LexisNexis or the like.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I think I'm going to give this a try, just to screw with the system

https://adnauseam.io/

Nefaro

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-internet-idUSKBN1702TA

What is it with GOP congressmen and their hard-on for this BS? One of the few subjects in which I agree with the Donks.

I understand the "small government" angle, and that there's an imbalance between ISPs and web sites regarding the ability to sell their collected data.  But for F's sake this is about selling off private information without personal acceptance.  Which is already happening too much with everyone else (i.e. websites), so the ISPs have been crying that they cannot.  As if they don't charge hefty enough fees for use, as it is.   ::)  We should be getting laws pushing back this nonsense, not spreading it further in the name of business equality.

Much worse, it has also regularly been about letting ISPs subjectively force internet speed throttling on users depending on the content they're using.  Which is just soft censorship at best, and downright consumer fleecing at worst.  This concerns me the most, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it getting pushed again in the next year or two since it's been on just such a regular cycle over the years, getting shot down every time thus far.  But they keep trying & trying.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on March 30, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
there's an imbalance between ISPs and web sites regarding the ability to sell their collected data.

This is a fallacy promoted by the large ISPs that lobbied for overturning the privacy rules. There is no imbalance. If you don't want Google collecting your data, don't use Google services. Same for Facebook or any other company along those lines. You don't have to use those services, but you do absolutely need an ISP to connect to the internet.

Furthermore, Google is only going to capture the data you choose to give it access to by using there services. It isn't going to track your activity if you're using Firefox, not logged into a Google account and searching with Duck Duck Go or Bing. Your ISP can track you all the time, no matter what. It can see every site you visit and it you're data isn't encrypted, it can see all of that too.

If this were 25 years ago and Congress said it was okay for every phone company in America to listen to, record and sell every phone conversation of their customers, there would have been riots in the streets. Today, the internet equivalent is met with a shrug of the shoulders by most of America.