Started by -budd-, March 24, 2017, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

acctingman

-budd-

If i'm not mistaken i believe they mentioned this year sometime.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

acctingman

Well, there is another job I could never handle....public relations for a game developer. I'd be telling 70% of the whinny little bitches on forums to go take a flying leap  :bd:

Apocalypse 31

At this point, Close Combat fans are like rabid dogs - not an excuse for the behavior - but they've had a piece of meat dangling in front of them for several years.

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up for this new CC. I thought that last few were ....not good. In fact, everything after CC IV (BOTB) has been pretty bad.

The AI, in particular, has a lot of issues: It cannot seem to attack or find proper defensive terrain - the result is usually finding large clumps of enemy units bunched up in one area of the map. That all being said, if H2H is your purpose for buying CC, then you should be ok. The pathfinding is not great either, but can be excusable.

Nefaro

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2017, 08:48:47 AM
It will be all about the AI for me.

+1

That along with it's pathfinding.  Used to drive me absolutely nuts with the vehicles and, occasionally, some squads.

Although the last and final time I rage quit a CC game, long ago, was due to an LOS bug.  In which an AI anti-tank gun (iirc) had a clear LOS through a tiny lane between a couple buildings, and kept firing through it.  While I could not return fire due to my LOS showing as blocked through the same line, from the other direction.   :tickedoff:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

I am no programmer, but have managed programming content in multiple projects.  The comment that unity didn't fit close combat seemed like a pretty obvious conclusion and should have been noted very early in development.  I know it look like 20/20 hindsight, but look at the games that come out on that engine and then look at the detail level of the CC games.  Just a semi-educated opinion.

Destraex

Close Combat 3D aka The Bloody First has been announced for a release this year! weoot. It seems the campaign is not able to be played from the German perspective. Although you may be able to play each mission from the German side without any actual progress to the next mission. This may indicate a very special and new form of campaign strategic layer?
I have to say those screenshots seem to show that you can zoom in which I like. You can also rotate the map. Will this game have more than two player multiplayer? Will it be competition for Eugen's wargame series or the combat mission series of games? Will the game be clunky and ugly, like so many cheaper 3D games. The time delay was allegedly because of a need to change from unity to a new house Slitherine engine called Archon.
Will the AI have been new and well written or are they using the old files underneath the hood?
All these questions will need to be answered before paying what will I am guessing be an exorbitant price tag.

Cyrano

Loins are arid on this one.  Parched even.

I haven't programmed since basic so I'm even farther out on this than RyanE, but, shoot, Unity seemed a horror show from the beginning.

The GoG editions of CC, for their faults, remain a joy.  A game so long delayed will get no such breaks.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Destraex

Quote from: RyanE on February 21, 2018, 04:07:46 PM
I am no programmer, but have managed programming content in multiple projects.  The comment that unity didn't fit close combat seemed like a pretty obvious conclusion and should have been noted very early in development.  I know it look like 20/20 hindsight, but look at the games that come out on that engine and then look at the detail level of the CC games.  Just a semi-educated opinion.

Why would unity not be a fit for CC?

Cyrano

Again, not myself an expert, but talking to those who are, it's a very difficult environment to program in on the PC, designed as it is as way to ease multi-platform development. 
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806