2017 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, February 07, 2017, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Wish I were there today.

Gusington

My same buddy who was there Monday was there again tonight!! Bastard.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap!  LETS-GO AST-ROS! Clap Clap clapclapclap! 
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Nicely done by the Astros.  They were the best team in the regular season, have two legit aces at the front of the rotation and figure to give the Dodgers a run for their money.  And because they beat my guys, I will root for them to win it all.  Doesn't hurt to be a team that lost to the eventual Champs. ;)  Let's go Astros!

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on October 21, 2017, 10:27:53 PM
Doesn't hurt to be a team that lost to the eventual Champs.

L:-)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on October 22, 2017, 03:17:46 AM

L:-) L:-)

Cuz your guys lost to them first.

bayonetbrant

chuckling thru the tears at this one...

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/22/16515638/astros-world-series-alex-bregman-throw

QuoteThe Houston Astros, the butt of every baseball joke just a few years ago, are going to the World Series. There are a lot of reasons for this. They had to lose so many games that they were able to draft Carlos Correa before anyone else. They had to scout, secure, and develop Jose Altuve. Charlie Morton had to go to the 97-mph-fastball store and get him a 97-mph fastball. Someone had to teach Lance McCullers, Jr. his curveball, and someone else had to have the confidence that led to him throwing 24 of them in a row to finish his four-out save. Justin Verlander's parents had to meet each other.

It's a long, long list.

What I'll remember from Game 7 of the ALCS is the play. Or, The Play. The dumb, daring, brilliantly executed play that changed everything. You don't have to believe this is why the Astros are going to the World Series. This is why I believe the Astros are going to the World Series.

and later in the same article

QuoteOne grounder was going to be enough to tie the game. And when that grounder tied the game, there would still be runners on base with just one out. The foundation would tremble. A couple shingles would fall off the roof. The bullpen would stir, but there wouldn't be anyone overflowing with confidence in there. That one, lonely home run wasn't any match for the Yankees' continuous onslaught.

That's the backdrop for The Throw. Or, The Play. Or, as I like to call it, The Holy Hell What Are You Doing, Alex Bre   gman, Ha Ha, Just Kidding, You Beautiful Bastard Play.

When Bregman fielded the ball awkwardly like that, the runner was halfway to home. I don't care if the runner is Greg Bird, Yadier Molina, or Bartolo Colon doing cartwheels. The Astros needed outs. They needed to stay out of the big inning. It stunk that a wild pitch got the tying run to third with just one out, but that was the past. The future was keeping the game close. Bregman threw home anyway.

He threw it there. HE THREW IT THERE.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on October 22, 2017, 10:15:54 AM

Not my guys.

Don't be bitter. Loser.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

I am happy. The Yankees went further than I thought they would this year, that's for sure. Especially considering I was unsure if they would even get to the wild card. The challenge no way is to keep most of these young Yankee players on the team for next year.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

It was a very good year for the Yanks. They exceeded just about everyone's expectations.

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on October 22, 2017, 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 22, 2017, 10:15:54 AM

Not my guys.

Don't be bitter. Loser.

I was being gracious in defeat.  Is that how Red Sox fans define, "loser?"