I fear my PS3 shall soon be kaput... {sigh}{sniffle}

Started by JasonPratt, January 15, 2017, 09:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

In the past few months, the Blu/DVD drive in my Playstation 3 has been weakening in its ability to play DVDs. (Oddly not Blus, or not yet.) I'm staring at it right now as it feebly tries and fails, repeatedly, to play DVD #2 of the documentary The Ten Thousand Day War. I suppose I shall have to research migration options: moving the drive, if possible, to a new PS3. I sure don't want to lose access to a number of things I've bought on the PSN over the years. (I don't think I have any game saves I care about losing.)

This has been a moderately depressing day.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jamus34

Agreed Jason...it's one of the maddening things about Sony not including backwards capability in their hardware.

Especially since I have most of the MegaTen game series downloaded to my PS3 - would be uber upset to lose that.
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

I seem to recall I can move my hard drive on to a new PS3 -- in fact, I'm about 90% sure I recall doing this already from my original first or second generation PS3 (back when they included PS2 hardware for full backwards PS2 compatibility). But it might depend on the PS3 model. I have the kind that pretty much has to sit horizontally, with a top cover that slides manually back and forth to put the Blu or DVD down into.

(Not the slim version as in the link, Stagger, but I dang well bookmarked that site generally!  :smitten:)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!