Blade Runner 2049

Started by mirth, December 19, 2016, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: MetalDog on May 08, 2017, 07:34:07 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 08, 2017, 05:07:44 PM
I really need to watch the first one.

Don't bother  :-"

this is why you have the kharma that you do.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 08, 2017, 10:22:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on May 08, 2017, 07:34:07 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 08, 2017, 05:07:44 PM
I really need to watch the first one.

Don't bother  :-"

this is why you have the kharma that you do.

My karma is earned and I accept it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

besilarius

A rumor that has gained a lot of traction at work is that Harrison Ford's character is actually a replicant.
Why his partner hated him in the first movie, because the partner would lose his job to a replicant.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on May 10, 2017, 06:49:45 AM
A rumor that has gained a lot of traction at work is that Harrison Ford's character is actually a replicant.
Why his partner hated him in the first movie, because the partner would lose his job to a replicant.

IIRC, that idea was actually one of the unresolved questions in the original Phillip K. Dick novel that Bladerunner is based on. It is also implied in later editions of the film when the deleted Unicorn Dream/Origami sequences were added back in to the film.

http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Deckard_as_Replicant
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I am not encouraged  :-\

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

And remember the trailers are supposed to be the impressive parts.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

The trailer for Alien Covenant was better than that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jarhead0331

Hollywood ruins everything it touches.

This movie is going to be abysmal.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2017, 02:20:25 PM

That wasn't always the case, back when they took chances on movies. Now they use their little formulas to plug in the same stupid ideas (lame love story, pandering to Asian market, utilize nostalgia to milk it further, etc.) each time, and even if a movie sucks it still makes a billion dollars. And if they make a billion each time, they have no reason to try any other formula. Except when they redo Ghostbusters and totally screw the pooch.

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 24, 2017, 07:49:01 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2017, 02:20:25 PM

That wasn't always the case, back when they took chances on movies. Now they use their little formulas to plug in the same stupid ideas (lame love story, pandering to Asian market, utilize nostalgia to milk it further, etc.) each time, and even if a movie sucks it still makes a billion dollars. And if they make a billion each time, they have no reason to try any other formula. Except when they redo Ghostbusters and totally screw the pooch.

This.

They just choose from the same handful of plots, and jam the same kind of tired action scene focus into many.

Many of the big budget movies just draw from the same formulaic pool over & over.  Even when they're supposed to be a remake of an oldie that didn't fit those few formulae, they'll still jam in what they believe to be the tried & true go-to crap.

Old classics are often considered so because they weren't something you'd see all the time.  Apparently the orgs funding Hollywood movies are terrified of risking their millions in order to make a big blockbuster.  Settling for small gains via repeatedly running the same movies in different guises.  Even if those guises are the flayed skin of an older, and more unique, great movie.

It's a large part of the reason American moviegoer numbers have steadily dropped over the years, having been subjected to the repetition.  We've become jaded with that crap.  Whereas places like China aren't since they've only recently had many big movies playing in their theaters.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Sir Slash

Interesting, but not overwhelming. You've got my attention because there's so little else worth watching. So, play-on.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

The short was okay. Still not terribly excited about the movie.

Nefaro

This prequel short was quite enjoyable. 

I still hope the actual movie doesn't turn into another 80 minute explosionfest chase scene in a 90 minute movie, like so many others.  Fingers crossed it's more like this short.