Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by OJsDad, December 09, 2016, 08:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I have an annoying female coworker who says that to someone or other at least three times a day. 'Blend', not 'throb', just to be clear...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 10, 2017, 07:20:43 PM
I have an annoying female coworker who says that to someone or other at least three times a day. 'Blend', not 'throb', just to be clear...

But does she say it in that totally hot Jersey accent?  :buck2:

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

airboy

Wife and I saw it tonight.

It was really good.  We had goofy, not exactly completely competent 15 year old Peter Parker.  Lots of fight quips and he acts like a 15 year old.  Keaton was a very good villain.  Probably third in superhero villains behind Loki and the first Green Goblin.  Really solid villain. Poor villains are the great weakness in superhero movies.

All of the characters were very good.  We thought more about the characters than the fight scenes (which were really good). 

The only gripe my wife had was no "spidey sense" of danger.   

Sir Slash

I guess Stark hasn't installed it yet.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Wait, what, really? They just left out the Spider-sense altogether?!?

I mean, it's difficult to write around, sure, but that seems awfully extreme, since that's one of the few super-powers that is a legitimate cultural icon in itself.

Read recently that Kevin Feige and Tom Holland confirmed that the little boy pretending to be Iron Man in IM2, during the fight sequence at the end, was Peter Parker (long a fan theory but naturally unconfirmed)!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Saw it today, and I admit I did not like it nearly as much as some of you.

The kid playing Spider-man/Peter Parker was pretty good. I totally agree that he epitomized what an awkward 15-year-old boy would do as a super-hero, and it was highly entertaining in that regard.

Michael Keaton was very good as Vulture, and big kudos to the movie for...well, how his name was revealed, let's just say that.

Farveau is looking way too plump and old, and Downey, Jr. is showing signs of age big time too.

Marisa Tomei was okay, but not nearly as important a character as I thought they might make her out to be (being Aunt May and all, a central pillar to Parker). I felt like she was a cardboard cut-out put in place, like the movie's trying to be all "nudge nudge wink wink she's hawt wooooooah eh?" to the audience, and having her be just that and nothing else.

The "Washington Monument built by slaves" thing was just utterly awful; it absolutely reeked of SJW bullshit and seemed completely out of place right at that moment, like the movie was trying to make some grandiose statement to a captive audience, and it completely fell flat. Not to mention made me lose all respect for the character that spouted it in the first place.

I don't know. I think Marvel's starting to lose a lot of steam, and this movie was like a broken bridge that the train just kind of plummeted off of...in grand style and an entertaining way, sure, but plummet it did.

Sir Slash

Disagree BC. I saw it today too and thought it was great. Another Marvel character that you instantly grabs your interest and compassion and makes you care about them and their problems as much as them saving the world. Everybody seems just about right in their roles and I though Keaton made an excellent villain. There was action, humor, and a whole bunch of references to the other Marvel films. It might have tried a little bit too hard to be funny and cute at times and I wish somebody would slow the action down a little so I can tell what the hell's going on sometimes but otherwise I'd put it right up there with Guardians of the Galaxy. The final, final scene was a hoot and I never saw it coming.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

We've been lucky so far that the infamous levels of story-and-character-trashing SJW agendizing in Marvel the past few years, haven't translated to the big screen yet. Though I've seen signs of it creeping into the SHIELD show (albeit not to the detriment of its increasing quality yet, thank goodness. It doesn't necessarily have to destroy good work, but how they've been implementing it...  :pullhair:)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

I guess the Washington monument SJW thing wasn't that big a deal to me. It was a passing reference and overall unimportant to the rest of the movie.

Favreau looking plump and old also not a big deal to me. Happy is minor secondary character that has always been played as comic relief.

I don't see how anyone can think Marvel is losing steam based on this movie. It is a critical and financial success and a far better Spiderman movie than anything we've had since 2004.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on July 16, 2017, 10:18:12 AM
I guess the Washington monument SJW thing wasn't that big a deal to me. It was a passing reference and overall unimportant to the rest of the movie.

I just remember rolling my eyes and thinking, "really? You just HAD to go there and do that?" while watching it. I'm just tired of that kind of crap.

Favreau looking plump and old also not a big deal to me. Happy is minor secondary character that has always been played as comic relief.

He does have good chemistry with Robert Downey, Jr. I guess his plumpness relates too much to mine, perhaps.

I don't see how anyone can think Marvel is losing steam based on this movie. It is a critical and financial success and a far better Spiderman movie than anything we've had since 2004.

I guess. I don't disparage any of you for liking it, I'm just pointing out what completely rubbed me the wrong way. Potato, potatoe.

Sir Slash

I understand BC. The line about protesting being patriotic kind of slapped me in the head for a second or two.  >:(

Steelgrave

Wife and I caught it today and absolutely loved it. Easily one of the top four or five Marvel films IMHO and I think the best Spider-Man of them all. The whole Tony Stark as mentor played very well and Keaton was a very convincing villain. A solid, solid film and a great addition to the Golden Age of Marvel.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus