Java Sea battle war graves violated and warships possibly sold for scrap

Started by ComradeP, November 16, 2016, 07:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComradeP

With the 75th anniversary of the battle of the Java Sea approaching, a Dutch film crew travelled to the area to film the wrecks and show the wrecks to surviving children and relatives of the Dutch sailors who died during the battle.

They discovered that the wrecks of the Dutch cruisers Hr. Ms. De Ruyter and Hr. Ms. Java as well as the destroyer Hr. Ms. Kortenaer have disappeared from the Java Sea. There are only some pieces of Kortenaer still on the sea floor. The ships were the final resting place for some 1150 Dutch and Indonesian sailors.

One possibility is that the ships were recovered and sold for scrap.

It is unclear at this point if other Allied ships belonging to the task force that were sunk during the battle are still there.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Martok

That's f-ing low.  >:(  I hope whatever twat-mops stole the ships found the sailors' remains to be a most unpleasant surprise. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

How the hell do you salvage that much metal without being noticed?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2016, 01:06:23 PM

Hasn't that area been infested with pirates for a long time, too?

Perhaps some of them were involved, or people didn't hang around and investigate when they saw activity in the area.

Uberhaus

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2016, 01:06:23 PM

Apparently long hoses and explosives and the Malaysian Navy did make some arrests.

Three British ships and a US submarine are also missing http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37997640
and linked to in the BBC article
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/16/british-second-world-war-ships-illegal-scavenging-java-sea

This is despicable, I hope the scavengers fucking drown.

Greybriar

Despicable as it may be, I am not surprised at what happened. You can't expect anything of value to stay in the middle of the ocean without being guarded.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

I hope the ghost of Admiral Doorman comes back and haunts those responsible into raving madness.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 16, 2016, 07:07:56 PM
I hope the ghost of Admiral Doorman comes back and haunts those responsible into raving madness.
+1

i think the best way to protect this sides in our times of social media viral spread 'news' would be carefully staged and injecting stories of local (simple) people involved getting haunted by ghosts of disturbed maritime grave sites in conjunction with a ton of bad karma things that happend to them and their relatives, and those who had handled an bought scarp items... 

in conjunction with a hidden/disguised high tech technical device placed at the gravesides that cause nausea and vision distortions by acoustics (i guess infrasound? - dunno if that works underwater too) when divers are getting close to the wrack   

also some high radioactive scrap item splinters placed inside the wracks. the ghostly blue Cherenkov glow of 'bones' (bent uranium rods spliters) would help too >:D 

Con

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell