Kong: Skull Island

Started by mirth, July 23, 2016, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Sorry. Forgot you hadn't seen Deep Blue Sea.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

That's the one with Laura Dern and the dinosaurs, right?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on August 14, 2017, 07:58:41 PM
Yes and Brundlefly.

Geena Davis is in it too? Now I really have to see it. She was great in 'Riding in cars with boys'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I'd rather watch Deep Rising again. Treat Williams is excellent in that movie.

mirth

BanzaiCat

I've got it cued up to turn on later this morning. Already seen it many times but it's one of those comfort background films.

Harrison Ford turned down the role that Treat played in that flick. I can't imagine Ford doing that role, though. I mean, I could, but Treat fits it better I think.

Sir Slash

Deep Rising is what I get every time I eat Mexican.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, back on topic  ::)

The director of the film has launched a bit of a backlash war against Cinema Sins for their EWW video.

Uh, not sure where the director's Twitter account is, but I gather there are links in the comments somewhere.

Now, granted, a significant number of Jeremy's "sins" are meant to be humorously unfair -- he even pokes fun at himself sometimes about this -- but they're unfair for sake of humor, not as actual criticism. This gets fuzzy, though, when he combines those with legitimate critiques of the plot and production of a film. And as those of us who've seen it know, there are A TON of such problems in the film. Which isn't to say it isn't enjoyable; I myself like it a lot more than the G14 film, and I appreciate that the director (and presumably the producers) set out to address problems from the first film. But having an aggressively stupid plot combined with convenient production design goofs, especially where those goofs seem very intentional in order to make the 'story' seem to work better, were among the critiques -- and K:SI still has those. Lots of them. I counted no less than four or five major ones that Jeremy either didn't bother to include or didn't notice or only mentioned offhand. Maybe he was being charitable? (Not likely; he didn't go far giving credit to the creature action, not as much as he occasionally did for G14 which features much less of it. Kong has some genuinely badass moments, which I guess Jeremy just wasn't feeling.)

Anyway. Have fun with EWW Kong: Skull Island.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!