Brazil 2016 Summer Olympics

Started by steve58, July 04, 2016, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Because in most cases their legal status in the country they're in now precludes them from representing them.  You're supposed to be able to claim citizenship in that country, and while some countries will shelter refugees from conflict, they don't necessarily offer them citizenship.  But since they are refugees, it's not like they can go home to try out for the team.  Some of them may have fled religious persecution; others might be political refugees.  Honestly, I'm a little surprised none of them are from Zimbabwe.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

This Syrian girl on the refugee team, Yusra Mardini, is a badass: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/yusra-mardini-rio-2016-olympics-womens-swimming-the-syrian-refugee-competing-in-the-olympics-who-a7173546.html

QuoteThirty minutes after setting off from Turkey, the motor on their boat, which was meant for six people but carrying 20, began to fail. Most of those on board it could not swim. With no other alternative, Mardini, Sarah and two strong swimmers jumped into the sea and swam for three hours in open water to stop their dinghy from capsizing, eventually reaching Lesbos.

"We were the only four who knew how to swim," she said of the experience. "I had one hand with the rope attached to the boat as I moved my two legs and one arm. It was three and half hours in cold water. Your body is almost like ... done. I don't know if I can describe that."

DoctorQuest

Give her a gold medal right now. That is some serious moxie.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bayonetbrant

she won her heat in the 100m butterfly, too, but wasn't fast enough to qualify for the semifinals

edit: she's the one in the front left of the Refugee team when they're coming in (our left, their right) with the purse.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Why not represent your country instead?

Better to walk out carrying a Syria flag as a symbol of 'I'm still standing you bastards' than a refugee one

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 07, 2016, 02:06:25 AM

Better to walk out carrying a Syria flag as a symbol of 'I'm still standing you bastards' than a refugee one

O0

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on August 07, 2016, 06:23:01 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 07, 2016, 02:06:25 AM

O0

Because there's already an 'official' Syrian team (read: politically acceptable).
Think about some Yazidi kid who was forced out of home by the Syrian regime.  No way to return to Syria to compete for a spot - might actually be killed by the regime just for being there - but also not a citizen of wherever they're living at the moment (and may not ever want to become one if they harbor any hope of returning home).
What about religious persecution in Sudan?
What about 1990s-era Bosnia Muslims forced out of their homes by the Serbs, but still fast enough to run in the track events?  Might've been sheltered in Germany until the war ended and then try to return home.  There was no refugee team then, but if there was, there probably would've been some Balkan participants.

bayonetbrant

Michael Phelps has 21 Gold medals, and at least 1 more race to swim.

In their Olympic history, the entire nation of Brazil has 24 gold medals.

BanzaiCat

Rio is a mess, as are the Olympics, but I've yet to see a 'mainstream' news story reporting any of it.

Rio 2016: Media Bus Attacked In High-Crime Area Of Deodoro

Crime wave and political unrest plague Rio Olympics

Australian athletes 'robbed' during fire evacuation

A firefighter was raped by a security guard, and the Head of Security was mugged at knifepoint. But everything's all Shiny Happy People Holding Hands according to NBC!  O:-)

mirth

I am happy to report that I have watched, at most, about 30 seconds of the Olympics.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I've had it on for the last 15 minutes. The pre-game report they do, anyway. There has been 10 minutes of commercials in that time.

Ten.

Minutes.

Lots of pro-Rio coverage in the scant few minutes left, like 'Celebrating Brazil's Cultural Heritage' and 'Sampling Rio's Food and Nightlife.' Some real hard-hitting fluff pieces, here.

My daughter likes to watch them and I'm trying to do that too, and not to spend too much time playing games. But these commercials annoy the crap out of me so I won't last long.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2016, 06:31:03 PM
I am happy to report that I have watched, at most, about 30 seconds of the Olympics.

You've missed not much. Phelps winning by the skin of his teeth last night was entertaining, and Katie Ledecky's win was huge. But so far, this has felt more like "Corporate Advertising: Brought To You By The Olympics."

mirth

I just saw Team USA barely eke out a win against Australia in basketball. That was something  :crazy2:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

8 minutes of content in the last 30. No wonder broadcast TV sucks.

BanzaiCat

Oh, look, Women's Volleyball.

Of course Team USA is wearing the speedo panties and the Swiss are wearring full body suits.