REALLY OUT TO GET ME, TOO! -- JRP vs Bartheart on Twilight Struggle PC (DONE)

Started by JasonPratt, April 17, 2016, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

TURN SEVEN -- ROUND 4

I'm in pretty good shape so far this Round -- I haven't made any improvements in Europe yet, but I've set up a nice scoring in Central America eventually (or a major distraction there for Bart eventually as I concentrate on rooting out freedom and democracy in Yrryp or however it's spelled without the borgeoise luxury of vowels.)

Bart's nuclear sub card suggests he's about to try a coup in order to put points safely into MilOps without triggering an autowin for me (and so to avoid giving me back those 2 points he got from a similar problem I had last Turn).

That being the case, I ponder whether to improve my holdings in the Middle East a little (and if so, by direct influence or by an OPEC event)? Or put some more 3-point influence in Southeast Asia (where his coup seems likely to shoot, and where I could stand to get farther ahead of his expected coming score)? Or is it time to work on Europe a little again?

Either way, if things go to plan, I've only got this and next Round to play, because I expect to be putting some dangerous cards into the Space Race the last two Rounds!

Barth, though, must be feeling a lot of pressure for someone still 13 points ahead...!

This suggests to me that he has at least one, maybe both, of the Asia scorers now.

That being the case, after a bunnnnch of pondering, I decide to try a 2-part strategy of setting up an OPEC event score by playing COMINTERN for influence and taking back Iran and Iraq -- plus nudging up Poland a point back toward control.

At worst, I can still play OPEC for influence points next Round to adjust any good coup results he gets, and I'll still have improved my MidEast position substantially while partially fixing the Ultrapope's damage in Poland. But if things look okay enough, I've set up a little 2-point layup to cushion the evident fact that I'm not going to get my coup-difference Victory Points back this Turn.

On the other hand, who knows? -- Bart surprisingly doesn't play for a coup yet, but drops 3 points of influence (from temporarily sacrificing the Cuban Missile Crisis) into Mexico (to break my control there) and Panama (to keep a bit of an edge there).

He still has plenty of time to get his coup points, but now I'm wondering whether he plans to make use of those Unclear Subs at all... ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

TURN SEVEN -- ROUND 5

With three Rounds remaining in the Turn, I'm still planning to spend the last two Space Racing some dangerous cards away, and ignoring two other dangerous cards -- thus playing OPEC by the process of deduction. Originally I meant to play this as an event, and cash it in for a single VP.

But after a ton of pondering, I've decided to sacrifice it temporarily for 3 influence instead, putting one point back into Mexico for 1:3 control (which will also re-establish control on a border territory to the US), and the other two points into West Germany: because while that still leaves me behind 8:4, and him still in control there, I need to be getting back to my Europa!Win plan sometime and that means clawing West Germany away from him.

Then Barth plays, as somewhat expected, the Southeast Asia scoring card.

And you know what? Fine. I'm sorry I wasn't able to keep a good lead here, but it's a heck of a lot better than the giant lead Bart had been building, and I'm glad to escape with a VP in my favor. Let us never speak of this again. (Which we won't, because this particular scoring card leaves the game once someone plays it!)

What surprises me is that with 3 Rounds left, he's already throwing out this scoring card rather than trying to improve his situation again. I think on the balance this is probably a good sign for me in the next few rounds...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

TURN SEVEN -- ROUND 6

With two rounds left, my racy Space plan comes into play, which I feel safer about now that Barth already played the Asia Scoring card unexpectedly last round: that probably means he has a ton of harsh or scoring cards remaining in his hand, which I'm nearly sure to benefit from.

And no bad Space Luck (tm) this Turn -- yet! -- since I roll a natural one for success.

Then Barth sacrifices Latin American Death Squads for influence, not for the event -- which doesn't trigger for me because it's a neutral card -- and I don't know what the heck he was thinking, playing SEasia score already. He could have used that influence to take away my VP there. Instead, he takes control of Panama, and Guatamala.

Which isn't going to help him much whenever the time to score this comes.

JasonPratt

TURN SEVEN -- ROUND 7 of 7

As my final Round this Turn arrives, I discover what veterans of the game have doubtless been chuckling about in the background:

the twice-a-turn Space Race play only factors for the first player to put a man in space.

Leaving me with three crappy cards from which to choose a final play.

The Truman Doctrine would be super-deadly as Barth could use it to wipe all my influence from West Germany, requiring me to start over again from scratch at 2 Ops a point to catch up for four points, and that's assuming he doesn't feed more into WGerm to screw with me! No way I'm playing that.

And Grain Sales to Soviets would suck because it gives him a 50/50 chance to pull the Truman Doctrine from my hand and play it! No way there either. (Although that's the card I was going to play on the Race, since it's my final 2 point card.)

By deduction, that leaves:

Which gives him even more control in Panama (fine, I don't care if he's ever rooted out of there, we'll fight over the two battleground states that also give me special scoring), and starts him on Venezuela (which is a battleground-scoring state for South America).

(Forgot to zoom in there, so apologies for the low res.)

What he should have done earlier was run a coup attempt in Venezuela, since he could do that safely thanks to his Nukey Subs, and even if he failed I'd hand him 2 VPs for not being able to do any coups at all. We'll see if he thinks of that this Round.

Meanwhile, where to put my lone VP of influence? -- and it has to be influence because I can't try a coup at all without auto-losing right now, and I hate realignment attempts (which I currently can't even try safely anywhere valid without serious risk of losing my own influence).

After some thought about Israel (to match him 1:1) or Mexico (to help lock in next-door points for all future Central America scores), I decided to buff up Italy a little, 5:8, so he'll have a harder time taking it away from me again. (He's already had to waste some points trying to nix me there.)

This, however, is stupid, because I forgot I don't currently control Poland. I should have put the point there and regained control! Argh.

Fortunately, one of my guesses did turn out right: Barth had another scoring card, and it was...

This improves my score quite a bit -- or rather it reduces Barth's score. He's still ahead at the end of the Mid War, by 7 points. oof.

JasonPratt

TURN EIGHT -- ROUND 0 of 7

With three Turns remaining (and nominally 24 Rounds, counting the Headliner), we go into the Late War (and a nice quote from Jimmy Carter). This also means the Late War cards get shuffled into the deck for the deal, no reshuffle yet.

And my hand could be a lot worse:

Granted, East European Unrest and the Iron Lady are no joke, but if I can finagle control of West Germany before playing the Truman Doctrine, I can keep EEU in my hand indefinitely. Maybe. Grain Sales may have to be played eventually. (I can space Thatcher or EEU or Grain Sales, any one, whichever is more bothersome. And at least the others have 3 Ops.)

But I definitely have to play an event for Round Zero (the Headline phase), and... well, I would rather hold the Warsaw Pact as long as possible or play it for Ops, since as long as it doesn't trigger I'm keeping NATO from being playable. Summit is something I prefer not to risk on a gamble, being still far behind, even though I'm one region ahead on the die roll -- especially since Barth, remember, will be able to see my card pick thanks to his Space Raciness! (Note: do not do a Google search for this.)

Since that problem affects any choice, there's only one card I have which won't make a difference if he sees it first:

SLUT Negotiations! :D

...wait, sorry read that wrong. SALT. Okay, that's much better.

Since Bart chose a 2-power event, mine triggers first, reducing the Defclock to 5 (already reduced to 3 from 2 at the start of the Turn), and making any further coup attempts by anyone worth -1 power this Turn.

Also I get to pick any any one non-scoring card from the discard pile; and after lots and lots of soul-searching I decide to take back a particular neutral 4-power card, not for its event (which I don't care about) but because I think (or maybe feel) it's time to power on in Europe again and none of the discard events will help me with that but 4 safe influence will.

What won't help me, and what very well might lose me the game, is the ouchy card Barth plays for his Headline:

Aww, that doesn't seem so bad, it doesn't even affect Europe...?

Yeah, but Barth uses it to remove one point of influence each from Iran and Iraq, nixing my controls there, and two points from South Africa, tightening his grip on it.

Effectively this means I have zero scoring power in the Middle East and Africa now. Whereas Bart has 6 potential scoring each place. And a current score of 7.

Know what that adds up to?

Know what he needs to autowin outright?

As some of my oppressed and/or fleeing Russian citizens would say: oy.

JasonPratt

TURN EIGHT -- ROUND 1 of 7

So, you may be asking yourself, "Self, does Jason have any chance at all of avoiding a loss?!"

Sure. I mean kind of! I mean maybe!

As dangerous as things are, they could be at least one order of magnitude worse. If I hadn't managed to engineer a huge score in Central America, and turn around Bart's eventual score in Southeast Asia for a point in my favor, Bart would be in position now to win pretty much whenever he could play either the Africa or Middle East scoring card.

Currently he has to play both, plus get a point from somewhere.

As it is, he might have both cards in his hand (they sure weren't in the discard pile, although they might still be in the dealing deck), and play them both across the next two Rounds. But he might not either.

But since he might, I've got to hit hard as quickly as possible as often as possible.

Now, I could have chosen to try to fight off his coming scores in those places; but if I'm pressuring Europe then... well, in hindsight maybe that isn't so great: he can coast in those two areas while punching to keep me from winning outright in Europe, and pick up those 12 points automagically along the way. Especially since I don't have control of the European score card, and don't know where it is -- Bart could have it! If he plays it soon, that would block me from a Europe autowin for, well, possibly the rest of the game. But in that case I know the situation and can focus on working elsewhere; besides which I'll have pulled quite a few points making his own autowin (on points) much harder.

The worst case situation if I set up the Euro auto-win, is that he doesn't have EuroScore (thus delaying a score there by a Turn or so), and just fights my efforts there while coasting on his wave.

Well, anyway this is kind of moot since by the time I wrote out this analysis I had already committed to fighting for a Eurowin.

How to start with that? Several options commended themselves, but eventually I decided I needed to secure my dangling Poland, so:

It's time to Pact 'em up and move 'em out!

I was fuzzy about playing this earlier when I had a chance (or two? can't recall, slept a lot since then...), because I didn't want to allow Bart to trigger NATO. At this point, though, I don't care -- it would only mean I can't try coups anymore in Europe, which is nearly impossible for even Barth to try.

Naturally, I don't give a fig about most of the East European nations, so I don't care to add influence there. But I'll be perfectly happy to remove all US influence from up to four East nations! Starting with Poland (now 0:4), and then including Austria and East Germany (now 0:6 and 0:5).

That locks those battleground states solidly off (plus Austria as my token non-bg state that I need for proper dominance and eventually control of the continent). It isn't very likely Bart will be breaking my hold on any of those before game-end. France and Italy are also locked solidly in my favor with a 2 point lead of control in each.

That leaves West Germany. And I have some plans for it.

Much to my not-surprise:

And that kicks him back up to 13 points ahead.

At this point I should probably be fighting him for Africa, but nope. Perish the thought!

JasonPratt

TURN EIGHT -- ROUND 2 of 7

Wait, did I say "perish the thought" of fighting to keep him from putting close to a win scoring Africa?

Sorry. I meant "PERSHING THE THOUGHT!"

This not only breaks his control of West Germany, but solidifies my hold on Italy and France even farther, plus gives me a VP back to make his autowin a little harder.

That screenshot summarizes my last two Rounds. And also how my worthless dalliances with Canada haunt my dreams of ever winning the game, sigh. Those points, put instead in West Germ, could have been decisive for me by now.

Then, Bart, feeling the pressure, makes a mistake. Not one he can't come back from, surely, but still a mistake:

Playing this card itself isn't the mistake -- it's actually rather clever, since while the event triggers for me, it triggers too late to stop him from scoring huge in the MidEast.

The mistake is using this card for influence, and then NOT socking all those points into bolstering West Germany.

Oh, he does put a point into WestGerm, taking back control, but the other three points he puts into... Benelux? What the heck is that? That isn't a real place! Is that Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, and... and what?? I feel like that's supposed to be Holland and Belgium.

Anyway, woo, he controls them now -- which helps his scoring not at all (unless there's a special card he's holding I don't know about), since he already controls a non-battleground state somewhere in Europe for his own bid at domination.

He could have seriously ruined my day with that 4 point card. And could still do so! -- but not as much.

JasonPratt

TURN EIGHT -- ROUND 3 of 7

Last Round, Bart chose a play which, if I end up pulling a win out of this game after all, will be the main reason: instead of loading up influence into West Germany, forcing me into an attrition fight to wrest control away, he plopped one point there for re-establishing control, and then three points somewhere that made no sense.

He did this by sacrificing "Muslim Revolution", which is a USSR event, thus triggering for me. And I took what advantage I could by removing all his influence in Egypt and Jordan.

Not that that helps me even slightly, because we'll probably never see MidEast scoring again. But that's the genius of him sacrificing that card right now.

But since he didn't dump all his points into WestGerm, even though he could, then I can play Red Scare for Influence (instead of its event, which being neutral doesn't trigger for anyone), and get:

...that. That isn't control, yet, but now if Bart plays another 4 influence card -- and I know he has at least one, namely the China Card -- he'll secure control only 2 points ahead. And that's something I can whittle on. He could have put a Euro win completely out of my feasible grasp, but now I have a small chance.

Or do I?

Not too surprisingly, he does play the China Card for influence. More surprisingly, but very worryingly, he plays that influence in South America:

Instantly taking control of enough states that he would score 7 points.

There isn't much I can do about it, either.

JasonPratt

TURN EIGHT -- ROUND 4 of 7

At this point, Bart is about to win at will if he plays both South America and African scoring. And there isn't much I can feasibly do about it: I don't have enough influence on either continent to blunt his control in battleground states.

(Also he just sent me a Steam message after playing his upcoming Round, with simply a smile emoticon. That doesn't bode well...)

My best play under the circumstances, is to trigger the Iron Lady:

Not gonna lie, Thatcher is freaking awesome -- for Barth! But in a backhanded way, this helps me put down 4 Ops, not just three.

First, I put 2 points into WestGerm, bringing me finally ahead there 8:9.

Then, I put 1 point into Poland, so that when I have to play another tough card later I'll be able to survive it.

Then the game gives me a free point in Argentina! -- which will give me access to two battleground states there, next Round, which Barth won't be able to get to anytime soon (assuming he even needs to, which he might not).

For this, "Socialist Governments" (whatever that is) is no longer playable; I tried to find it in the card list and failed, so as grand finaleish as this Turn looks I'm not going to worry about it.

Also, Bart gets a VP back. And I lose all influence in the UK but that isn't important to me.

You will notice this is a desperate gamble, because if Barth really does have SAmScoring...

...like that (sigh)...

...then he'll have the 7 points he needs to win the game instead of being 1 point short.

And that's the game. {Shaking my dang head}

Well, with my Horrible Blue Hand of a few turns ago, I can't say I'm surprised; but Bart turned it around again fast by wisely concentrating on spreading out quick scores instead of trying to prevent my European autowin.

In that light, maybe taking control of Brexit or whatever that fake country was, was just a joke on his part, or him being nice and not putting Europe out of reach. Although had he done so, I would have concentrated on the secondary continents a little quicker and maybe staved off the end for another Turn. But I doubt it.

All hail Bartheart, for persevering past some personal tragedies to come roaring back with only a few days of gameclock remaining, to take the win!  O:-) 8)

And now he can read the gamethread!  :D

JasonPratt

As a reminder, Barth's side (up to whenever he stopped making notes on it, which was a while back) can be found here.

Barthheart

Good read as always Jason. And a good hard fought game. I thought I had it sewn up 2 turns previous but I muffed it by NOT playing the SE Asia scoring card in the headline phase then your card play costing me a huge lead...well done.
O0

JasonPratt

Man, Turn 6.

But aside from being dealt a deadly hand there, other contributions to my loss:

0.) Yeah, focusing on Canada for a mere few points of score when-if-ever that card came back around, was stupid. But ultimately it didn't count one way or another. But it was still gravely stupid and could have cost me an autowin later.

1.) Too much focus on Europe for the autowin. This allowed Barth to recover (Asia) and develop well everywhere else, eventually tugging my attention away from Europe after all to fight rearguard actions attempting to minimize his coming scores. New principle then: a European autowin is fine, as long as it can be feasibly set up in the first few Turns or picked up after some good luck in a Turn later. Once the mid-war started, I should have dropped that focus (if not before) and just looked for an opportunity to chip and putt in. But I was already soooo close, I thought I could force Barth to keep fighting to keep me out of it; whereas, until the EuroScore was even on the table again, he could ignore me all day long and work on other regions, and even allow I'd score well in Europe as long as he could spoil my control for the autowin there -- because he'd be setting up multiple decent or very good scores elsewhere. Not incidentally, this is what largely happened.

2.) Very much relatedly, once I saw evidence early in Turn 8 that he had scoring cards he was having to deal with, I should have immediately focused my attentions elsewhere. Indeed, I already had thought seriously about picking up one of a couple of major West Hemisphere cards (each applicable to both Central or South America) from the discard pile thanks to my SALT Negotiations, so in my head I must have already seen danger looming. But even if I had kept my 4-point Red Scare choice, I might have delayed my loss long enough to turn it around had I stopped trying to hope he had a Euroscore he was trying to win before he played -- which, notice, made no sense as a strategy anyway! If Bart did have the EuroScore, and was working hard on winning by scoring somewhere else first, that's still where I should have focused and not on Europe, accepting that my Eurowin was consequently never going to happen: on this theory, I'd have to parry his attempt at an early 20 point autowin, and so not be able to take advantage of a forced score to autowin Europe, after which I'd never see that score card again anyway with only two Turns remaining. Whereas if he didn't have the Euroscore yet, I might still be able to set that autowin up in one of the last two Turns but only if I survived parrying his 20point autowin attempt(s) this Turn.

It's possible that by the time I realized he was going for major scoring in Africa and SAmerica, I couldn't have stopped him from autowinning on points anyway. But I could have tried, and I didn't. And more importantly, I should have stopped trying to focus back on Europe a long time previously until when-if-ever I DEFINITELY saw a clear Eurowin opportunity.

Going after / back to Europe was a fatal miscalculation both on overall strategy for the game, and more tactically for Turn 8 after pulling out a 6 point (total) reduction of his lead through region scoring (plus and minus a few other Victory Point adjustments after the Blue Death Hand of Turn 6.)

nelmsm

Nice wtite up. Just picked this on my tablet and really helped my understanding of how to play it.

JasonPratt

Thanks for the compliment! I'm currently learning how to play Fire in the Lake by game-mastering it for the forum, although things are moving a bit slow right now. (Link's in my sig.) It's, superficially, like a more complex Twilight Struggle, between four players, strategically fighting the Vietnam War.

We still have two slots open, for playing North Vietnam or South Vietnam, if you'd be interested!