Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

^^ Rich comparing Discovery to Farscape. Kind of legit? Except darker.

Rich: "How does it feel to live long enough to see your favorite franchises go down in flames?"

Mike: "...it feels great."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Heh. They nailed the evil Admiral trope.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

This reminds me that it has been a few years since I watched Farscape through.

I've been getting awfully nostalgic for completed series that no one can/has yet ruined. I should go revist that again.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Pike has been cast for season 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-enlists-anson-mount-as-captain-kirks-predecessor-1100848

Whether or not they include Spock in the show, he would be on Enterprise as Pike's science officer during the timeline Discovery is set.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Considering that Meyer also wrote ST2, and 4 and 6 (and was probably involved with the best parts of 3, iirc), I wouldn't be too worried about him being the chief creative force behind a relaunch.

bbmike

^You assume he would be given full control.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

(In Clancy Brown's voice) I assume too much! One day, I will go too far.

:bd:

{/JLUref}

BanzaiCat

I had one of these as a kid. Wish I still had it, it's worth a small fortune. :(

bbmike

And....done. I've watched the entire season. Not-easy-to-do. It was said way up thread that the show taken outside of the Star Trek universe isn't bad. I agree with that. However, it IS IN NO WAY Star Trek. Not even close. I could write almost as much as Trumps tweets about what is wrong with the show.

And all of this talk about season 2 making everything fall in line with classic Star Trek? BS. The only way they could do that is if Michael Burnham wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette and realizes it was all a BAD dream.

Sigh. I'll say it again. Star Trek died June 2, 1999.

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I'm impressed you watched it. Trek died well before 99.

bbmike

That's the thing. It's actually watchable. It's just not Trek.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

I still don't get why they stubbornly insist that the show is in the prime timeline. 

I'd actually like and accept it a lot more if they just straight admitted it was a reboot.  Because it is. 

I do like that season two is bringing back the branch of service uniforms though.  And the casting of Anson Mount as Pike was inspired. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth