Wars Across the World - Kick Starter

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 24, 2015, 05:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I was quite appalled by their pricing scheme as well.

Learning that the Expanded Collection doesn't contain the "normal" 3 Scenarios, in contrast to what's described, only adds fuel to the flame.

I mean, 15$ for the base game and then an additional 10$ per Scenario I want to play? I know some wargames can get expensive, but this is plain silly.

The production costs of these scenarios is negligible, and they quite small. A single $ per scenario would have been more fair.

And I used to think Paradox got greedy.

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2017, 06:04:01 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 05, 2017, 06:00:58 AM
I just received the update that added the other three scenarios plus a tutorial. The developer says that the editor is coming within a week. Positive signs so far.

How about some gameplay impressions? My concern is the rule sets are too simple and limited making for a very shallow game.

Will post something today on it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

The tutorial is helpful but not all that great. In fact, the tutorial could use a tutorial for some parts. It could also use some major spell checking. I played a bit of the 1777 scenario and it was actually okay. This game feels light a light board game to me. There are cards and even die rolling (a 10 sided one). I haven't read the 116 page manual yet but I will since I don't quite understand a few things yet. An odd thing about the manual is you can only seem to access it in the game (under 'Options').

I'm hoping the editor will make this game a lot more attractive. It should be out soon and the developer indicated that there would be a manual for it as well. If you have any specific questions about it let me know and I'll try to answer.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

I guess one question would be does an 18th or 19th century scenario feel different from a 20th century one, or do they all sort of feel and play the same? In other words, is it very generic, or is there enough nuance and flavor in the settings, rules, details and options to make each scenario feel unique?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

It is a bit generic. From what I can tell there are differences in the rules. The cards have period images on them and the sound effects are different. Imagine playing Lock 'n Load Heroes of the Pacific and right after that playing a game of Lock 'n Load Heroes of the Revolutionary War (if it existed!). Same game but with different pieces and rules.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

I just found a YouTube video showing the Tutorial and gameplay (the gameplay begins about 5 minutes in):

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Cyrano

They clearly see that they screwed the pooch on pricing and have revamped it substantially.

Now, with the sale, you can get six scenarios for $16 which is a fair price.

I expected a whole lot of RISK and was pleased to discover more there.  The map and OOB for Austerlitz (yeah, you were expecting me to play what, exactly?) are quite nicely done, if simplified.  I also like the stacking limits and the way card play was bound up into movement.

The d10-based combat system is described as "semi-tactical" but the only real tactics I can discern are driven by card play and deciding which troops are either staggered or eliminated when these unfortunate things occur.

I agree that the tutorial could use some real love and, of course, the lack of MP other than hotseat is killing me.  Per their forums PBEM is due very soon with TCP/IP to follow thereafter (points to them for that).

There isn't a whole lot of "there" there and it won't do for my groggy moods, but I'm definitely going to give it some more plays.  It reminds me most, I guess, of the MB Gamemaster game series which, on most days, is a compliment.  With a lot of the reported playtimes coming in at less than an hour, there's not a lot of money or time being lost.  Also, given what Jomni's been able to do with P&S, I'm looking forward to the player-made scenarios for this one.  I'd particularly like some really big campaign boards...Jena maybe...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Tpek

I thought I might still give this a try after watching the LP, and got the expanded collection.

Bad move.
Game is unplayable due to buginess.

I've tried the Austerlitz scenario, and I can never finish a single battle, once I'm done allocating casualties, the game simply refuses to continue.
The death counter keeps flashing even though the number displayed is 0, and there's nothing clickable, nothing to do.

I've tried playing it 4-5 times by now and each time the same occurs.

For such prices, after a big KS campaign and a beta, I'd expect better (you know, like someone actually trying to play the game before releasing it).

Jarhead0331

Is there any connection to Ageod, either current or former? Some of the art looks very similar, and well, they are French too. The look of the art is half of the draw to this game for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

And now I turns out even the Korea scenario is too buggy and gets stuck at air battles.

So far only the Hastings scenario seems playable. And it's highly unbalanced.
Like in the video, the Viking player can quickly move one of his naval transports into the sea zone outside the only port the Normans have, and thereby
prevent the Normans from bringing any naval units into the sea and pretty much doing anything but sit and twiddle his thumbs.

bbmike

I've only played 1777. Please report these bugs to the developer. They seem to be listening and responding.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

IronX

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 07, 2017, 12:48:55 PM
Is there any connection to Ageod, either current or former? Some of the art looks very similar, and well, they are French too. The look of the art is half of the draw to this game for me.

The art also resembles an iPad game, which promised numerous campaigns throughout the ages and was also designed by a French team. They abandoned it after covering only two conflicts, which is a shame as it was actually pretty good. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a connection.