Game Controllers for the PC

Started by Con, June 19, 2015, 10:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I finally broke down and bought one since I have just been crap at playing a lot of action games (Batman, Witcher II etc) with the mouse keyboard combo. 
I got the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired Controller for Windows (Amazons best seller)

Anyone else use a console controller for PC gaming and if so does it make playing console type games better for you?

I have to admit I decided to do this based on wanting to finish Witcher II and buying Witcher III in the future (based on Angry Joes review) plus Fallout 4. 

Con

Nefaro

I have a 360 controller for mine.  Feels rather clumsy to me, even with console ports, but I'm probably just used to many years of precise mouse movement that this thing feels like an unbalanced club.  Cretin controller!  :P

Not sure I quite like the shape and placement of some of the buttons, either.  I don't use it unless the game in question almost demands it.

Jarhead0331

I have a 360 controller too and unlike Nefaro, I find it solid and indispensable for most console type action and or 3rd person combat games. If you were never a console gamer, it will take time to adapt to the controller, but play enough and you'll see the benefits over a mouse and keyboard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

i've been thinking about getting one also, some games just don't work that well with keyboard and mouse, hence i don't play them and avoid buying them.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bison

I used my Xbox 360 controller for Batman and a some light driving games like need for speed, burnout paradise, and grid 2.  I'm sure I've used it for other games too.  I found it to be useful once you get used to the controller.

Greybriar

I bought a Microsoft 52A-00004 Xbox 360 Controller for Windows in 2013 in anticipation of needing it for a console port. It's still in its unopened box.  :P
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Arctic Blast

I've also got a 360 controller. I consider it pretty much essential for attempting to play 3rd person action games, platformers and arcade driving games.

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2015, 10:48:22 AM
I have a 360 controller too and unlike Nefaro, I find it solid and indispensable for most console type action and or 3rd person combat games. If you were never a console gamer, it will take time to adapt to the controller, but play enough and you'll see the benefits over a mouse and keyboard.

+1 and QFT.

I use a wired 360 controller I picked up at Target for 25 bucks on my gaming rig.  Works great with games like Wolfenstein and War Thunder.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

gameleaper

the new steam controller will work with PC steam games, its much better than anything ive ever seen for a PC, it has a mouse touchpad like a laptop, its out in November, and works on normal PCs not just steam OS I think

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2015, 10:48:22 AM

Yeah, it's a good quality controller and seems rather sturdy & reliable.

My complaints about it were due to my own unfamiliarity.  I'm glad I have one, for the games that really need it.   I may have came across more harsh about it than I really intended, in my earlier post.

Another thing:
I'd recommend it because the drivers are already part of the Windows OS and therefore is always compatible with games that have such controller support, since it's the baseline devs use.  Don't generally have to worry about software issues with it.  There's much to be said for compatibility.

Staggerwing

There are also xbox controller drivers for OSX now that so many games are being released on Steam as multi-platform.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

i broke down after some time with Witcher III and got me the xbox one controller, the improved successor of the already high praised 360controller just last Tuesday.
(the 360 was recommended by a friend as the best controller at the time he purchased it, and some German game mags , put the xbox one controller one notch above the 360, so i was looking for that.... it also depend on the size of your hands) 
i was in the MediaMarkt store and the friendly clerk had let me handle both in comparison (the xbox one was sold out at that time, but he had both items beyond the counter for those try-on 'like buying gloves' demonstration purposes)
its still a version with a wire but the wireless module for that controller will be released soon. that was already announced by Microsoft this month, so no problem here if i want to have that option later

Yes, you have to adopt to use it, but after some time with it i found out that some situations in Witcher III are better to handled with the controller. i constantly switch between using KB+mouse and the xbox one controller.
(Witcher III sense which input device is actual used so i just have to grab it and Witcher III automatically switch control over to the devices which sends the input... its very convenient)

all kind of horse riding, and fights in open areas (where you can must 'roll'-evade a lot) and with a general larger group of weaker enemies i use the controller.
if there are lots of obstacles and if its just 1 but stronger enemy i (at this moment still) perfer the keyboard mouse then.
all other UI interaction with that game i do with KB and mouse.

the reason for getting the controller was that 'steering' the horse was a PITA with KB and i had 'a worsening problem' in fights with the evading

well, i am still in the adopting phase with the controller

Con

Ok I got the controller this weekend and tried a couple of hours with it.  My first impressions are

I suck and will never be able to play any type of console game.  I mean I am pathetic with these controllers.  Maybe its all muscle memory etc but I had to put it away.

I know I should continue trying to play/practice with it but right now I am doing much better with mouse and keyboard on witcher 2

Con

BanzaiCat

Okay, dumb question. These controllers are all USB, I assume? Any other particulars about requirements? My PC may be too old to handle a newer controller.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 22, 2015, 04:43:48 PM
Okay, dumb question. These controllers are all USB, I assume? Any other particulars about requirements? My PC may be too old to handle a newer controller.

360 controllers (and I assume Xbox 1 controllers) are USB. Plug them in, Windows downloads drivers, and you're ready to go in about 10 seconds.