Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

I have it and have applied....was going to upgrade to 10 anyway after hearing positive comments about it. Though i am still happy with Win 7 I believe 10 has better graphics optimisation etc.

Martok

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 01, 2015, 04:31:23 PM
I still like to give 'em a year to work out the bugs. Past bad experiences and all that.
While I've not had bad experiences myself, I've certainly read about enough of them (including from some of you fine fellows) that I'm in no hurry either.  ;) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

It's a free upgrade, and you get to choose when it installs. Since the deal exists for a year, I figure there's no risk in signing up for the damn thing.  :)

mirth

Sign up leads to download...download leads to installation...installation leads to suffering.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Arctic Blast

Quote from: mirth on June 02, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
Sign up leads to download...download leads to installation...installation leads to suffering.

;D

Eh, it downloads and you install it when you want. You get up to a year to wait. So, no worries.

Nefaro

Heed the golden rule:

"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Grim.Reaper

I am in, always like new free shiny things:)  In all seriousness, I guess I have been just real lucky with computers...never have had any real computer related (besides normal wear and tear) or operating system issues from all the years I have been playing computer games to the best of my knowledge.  Hoping that trend continues with Windows 10.

Of course I probably just jinxed myself to future failures now....

Mr. Bigglesworth

Considering I hate win 8, i will try win 10, just to get the start menu back. What a profoundly stupid system 8 had. If you install an old program it's ok, it puts an icon on the desktop. Modern programs though were invisible. You had no way to start the damn things. At least 8.1 you could go to all apps, then if you were lucky your new install would show up.

I was seriously set to nuke all windows from my life. The main factor stopping me was Autodesk Revit, which I thought I needed. Given Autodesk cripples their software to break each year, needing a reinstall, i was done with them too.

Microsoft really needs to make 10 work or there will be OS revolution on computers everywhere. If I had to buy 10 after 8, it would not happen.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Sir Slash

I'm sitting squarely on the fence for now until more info comes in on 10. It does include Direct X 12, is that right? And is this a game changer? What about how older games play? And are all the new security additions real or just hype? I don't know either.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 08, 2015, 10:51:44 AMWhat about how older games play?
This is the single biggest question for me.  I can always play my *really* old games on the XP half of my hard drive, but what about those more recent titles that require Win7?  When will they suddenly no longer work on Win10?  That's my worry.  :-\ 

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 08, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
I'm sitting squarely on the fence for now until more info comes in on 10. It does include Direct X 12, is that right? And is this a game changer? What about how older games play? And are all the new security additions real or just hype? I don't know either.

DirectX 12 was supposed to be going into Win7, but the dickholes at MS evidently don't want us to stick with their best modern OS.

Instead, they want us to pick up their new micro-transaction OS with it's very own 'net store.

I've been happy with MS Windows for a long time, but recent developments are starting to push them into the negative category where Apple resides.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Martok on June 08, 2015, 02:22:17 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 08, 2015, 10:51:44 AMWhat about how older games play?
This is the single biggest question for me.  I can always play my *really* old games on the XP half of my hard drive, but what about those more recent titles that require Win7?  When will they suddenly no longer work on Win10?  That's my worry.  :-\

Not sure what it means for overall compatibility, but GOG did tweet that their entire catalog will be compatible. https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/605312987872808961

JasonPratt

^^ If it's good enough for DOSBOX then it's good enough for me!  O0

Incidentally, I got the icon on the toolbar for my new Surface (and registered for an upgrade), but have never seen it on The Presence, both of which are running 8.1 (with up to date updates, so far as I know). I'm not having any problems with 8.1 (since my OpenSource Start menu still works, on both computers ;) ), so I will definitely wait a while for kinks to be stomped, and then upgrade the Surface first as a test run before ever upgrading The Presence.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Your 'Presence' must be missing Windows update KB3035583 and/or KB2976978.

Run this batch file from a terminal as administrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip

It will tell you if you are missing the updates. It also has options to trigger the 'reserve win 10' icon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys