Tabletop AARs / Re: WWII City Battle PT 2
« Last post by bob48 on Today at 12:49:55 PM »
Top notch, as ever!
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: NEWBIE FOG2 AAR
« Last post by JasonPratt on Today at 11:43:48 AM »
Lust to own.... rising!

...holding firm. ...holding firm.
NAS Keflavik 072145Z Aug 1975

The Anti-Submarine Warfare Operations Center (ASWOC) hummed with activity.   Tasked with conducting operations against Soviet submarines in the North Atlantic and Norwegian Sea, the facility had always been busy. There was now a change in the atmosphere.  Since the sinking of the HMS Ashanti,  the routine flow of business had been replaced by an electricity, as well as an undercurrent of dread.  During peacetime, the  slack the ASWOC periods had been filled with joking, with discussions about plans for the next liberty or last night’s football game on AFN.  Now, there was no such small talk.  Now it was different.  For fifteen years, the predecessors of those now on the watch had daily practiced three of the four phases of ASW: detecting, localizing and tracking Soviet submarines.  But now, every man on the watch floor knew that they could be ordered to execute the fourth and final phase:  to destroy.

Men squeezed past each other, moving quietly between the analysis, mission control, communications  center and the operations room.  These four locations in this 13,000 square foot building formed the locus the NATO ASW effort in the North Atlantic.  This is where the strategy and intentions  of the  Admirals in Norfolk and Brussels and England began to become a reality.  In the Operations room, the petty officer added the latest contact and stepped away from the plot.   It showed five likely sub contacts.  Analysis was definitive on one.  It was a VICTOR II,  located right between two of STANFORLANT’s task units.  Two other contacts, a probable NOVEMBER SSN and a SS were somewhere north of Jan Mayen.  Analysis was working hard to determine exactly where.  And there was a sniff of something north of that VICTOR.  It could be a whale, but the crew reading the ‘grams in the analysis room thought it was something more.

A sailor knocked on the duty officer’s door  “Sir, I have some FLASH Traffic  ” he announced.  “We’re at war!”  LCDR Mulvane, the duty officer quickly scanned the message.  The message was only forty-six words long, but announced world altering events:

1.   ALL UNITS ASSUME A WAR FOOTING.
2.   ONE HOUR AGO A NATO P-3C WAS SHOT DOWN IN THE VICINITY OF BANAK BY SOVIET MIG-23 FLOGGER.
3.   ANY SOVIET AIR / SURFACE / SUB-SURFACE UNIT IS NOW CONSIDERED HOSTILE.
4.   THE USE OF NUCLEAR DEPTH CHARGES, SURFACE TO AIR MISSILES IS AUTHORISED

Digital Gaming AARs / NEWBIE FOG2 AAR
« Last post by -budd- on Today at 12:29:39 AM »
Picked up FOG2 a few days ago, my first venture into wargaming with ancients. This is a well put together game, it's really easy to get up and running. The UI makes it easy to get around and there's helpful tool tips, all the info you need is available and once through the tutorials you'll be up and running. I've played the tutorials and one quick battle and i'm in battle 5 of a 5 battle campaign as the Romans. This AAR is from the 4th battle of the campaign. I'll finish this campaign, bump up the difficulty and play another short campaign and then get some PBEM going.

Troop dispositions

The enemy folded before turn 14 started.
-O-  072100Z AUG 75
FM   COMSTANAVFORLANT
      TG 603.01
TO   TU 603.01.01
     TU 603.01.02
     TU 603.01.03
     TU 603.01.04
     333 SQN
     VP 26
     201 SQN
INFO NAS KEFLAVIK
     ANDOYA AB
     RAF KINLOSS
SIC UAJ/IAA
BT
NATO UNCLASSIFIED  //N03120//
OP/NORTHERN INFERNO/
MSGID/ GENADMIN /CTG 603.01/001/AUG75/
SUBJ/ COMSTANAVFORLANT INTENTIONS  FOR 062359ZAUG75- 072359ZAUG75
REF/A/ OPGEN/CTG 603.01/001/AUG75/
B/OPTASK AAW/CTG 603.01/001/AUG75/
C/ OPTASK ASW/CTG 603.01/001/AUG75/
D/ THREAT ORBAT/CTG 603.01/001/AUG75/
AMPN/NA //
RMKS/NA//
1.   (U) MISSION: Prior to the initiation of hostilities, STANAVFORLANT will move into the Norwegian Sea and conduct ASW operations to prevent the Soviet submarines from entering the North Atlantic area via the Greenland, Iceland United Kingdom Gap (GIUK Gap).  In the event of hostilities, STANAVFORLANT will detect, localize and destroy all Soviet submarines in the AOR before they transit through the GIUK gap.
A. (U) INTENTIONS:
STANAVFORLANT and supporting MPA from NAS Keflavik and Andoya AB will conduct aggressive ASW operations directed at detecting and localizing  Soviet subsurface units in the AOR.  In the event of war, STANAVFORLANT and supporting MPA will rapidly destroy all Soviet subsurface units in the AOR before they can enter the GIUK gap. ASW Operations will be conducted to minimize risk to NATO surface units by conducting ASW operations beyond the effective weapons range of Soviet submarines to the maximum extent practical consistent with mission.
B.   (U)FOCUS OF EFFORT:
STANAVFORLANT and supporting MPA will focus efforts on detecting and localizing the Soviet SSGN and SSG located in the AOR.  Secondary efforts will be directed at locating SSN and SS operating in the AOR.  In the event of war, Soviet units will be engaged and destroyed as they are encountered with priority given to SSGN/SSG and SSN.
2. (U) OPS SUMMARY LAST 24 HRS:
STANAVFORLANT continue transit to war patrol stations.
3.  (U)OPS SCHEDULED NEXT 24-HRS:
ASW detection and localization missions

4.  (U)OPS SCHEDULED NEXT 48-HRS:

5.  (U)OPS SCHEDULED NEXT 72-HRS:
6.  POINTS OF CONTACT: CDR SMITH
7. (U) MESSAGES OF INTEREST: NA
8. (U) COMMANDER’S CRITICAL INFORMATION REQUIREMENTS:
a. Location of Soviet SSGN and SSG units
b. Location of Soviet SSN and SS units
9.(U) COMMANDER’S COMMENTS
EMCON A will be observed unless under attack or actively prosecuting a subsurface or air contact.
HMCS Algonquin, North Atlantic, 071600Z  August 1975

LT Roberts handed the IPB to Commodore Jenkins.  “Here’s the Norfolk’s estimate of the threat.” Commodore Jenkins glanced at the eight-page document.  “Summarize it for me.  I’ll read it later, but we need to get the OPS Intentions message out now.”

LT Roberts took a deep breath, and then began: “The Fleet Intelligence Center confirms there are eight boats out there.  They are mostly concerned with the two missile shooters.”   “As am I” Jenkins interjected. 

“Yes sir.  They are the biggest threat to us, since they can hit us beyond the range of even our helos.  The JULLIET can hit us from over 230 miles away.  If we can’t get MPA on top of her, I’m not sure what we can do to stop her from sinking someone.”

CDR Ramesh, the Operations Officer spoke. “It isn’t quiet that easy to target a moving ship from 230 miles away.  We have to be found first.  And the JULLIET has to surface to fire her missiles.  If there are any MPA near her, she’ll never get a shot off.”

“And I don’t intend to give her the opportunity.” Commodore Jenkins.  “The entire force will be at EMCON ALPHA.  No radars emitting.”

“What about a modified Alpha to allow for active sonar?”  CDR Ramesh asked.

“I’m not inclined to use the sonars, unless it is during a prosecution.  If the CHARLIE is nearby, he might be able to get sufficient targeting information for its missiles without needing to use the Bears for the targeting.”

“And the CHARLIE doesn’t need to surface to shoot.  We wouldn’t stand a chance.” LT Roberts interjected.

LCDR Fett, the assistant operations officer raised his hand “It not quiet that hopeless.  We have some limited anti-missile capability.  “The Macdonough has the SM-1, and the Iroquois has Sea Sparrow.” 

Lt Roberts snorted in derision “Sea Sparrow is a waste of top space.  Assuming it works, it might stop a missile.  It won’t stop a salvo of them.  And all it takes is one to sink a tin can.”

LCDR Fett added “There is also Sea Cat on the Leander and Van Speijk.  Not much better, but it does give some capability.”

“Sea Cat doesn’t have the rate of fire to stop a salvo.  Not unless we are really lucky.  Our best bet to avoid being shot is to avoid being targeted.  The force will be in EMCON ALPHA.  That includes sonars unless actually prosecuting an attack, or unless actually under attack.” Commodore Jenkins ordered.

CDR Smith spoke up.  “Sir, we may be losing a small opportunity here.  Only the Macdonough has enough range with the SM1 to possibly bag a Bear.  If one of them gets close enough to her to take a shot, can she radiate?” 

“Good point.” Jenkins said.  “SAM units can radiate if Bears come within range.  But only the SAM shooters.  Anything else?”

“Yes, sir.” CDR Smith said  “The staff agrees that this is going to be mostly a MPA operation.  We can use our helos to prosecute diesel boats, but against an SSN we run the risk of them sprinting to within torpedo range of us.  The staff opinion is that we need to avoid sub contacts inside of the first CZ, and rely on our helos and MPA to prosecute everything outside of that.  That minimizes the risk, while maximizing our advantages over the threat.”

“I agree.  Get to OPS Intention message drafted for my review.  I want it to go out by 2000 tonight.”  Jenkins ordered.

Discussion
A short Intelligence Preparation of the Battlespace (IPB) is attached to this post.
Tabletop AARs / WWII City Battle PT 2
« Last post by nevermore on Yesterday at 01:24:39 AM »
WWII City Battle PT 2

Great game as always, 12ft by 6 ft table, plenty of action going on all over the table, still not come to a concusion
as of yet, but it keeps swinging back and forth, lots of more photos on the website in the gallery around 70 in total
at http://www.victorian-steel.com

http://www.victorian-steel.com
Tabletop AARs / Re: SDR vs Barthheart in Wing Leader Supremacy
« Last post by Silent Disapproval Robot on October 18, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
My flak gunners are in for some punishment detail.  I wonder if there's some way to send them further east on the eastern front.  Worthless buggers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10