Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Lots of us sent sign up money for a new game called Dukes of Hell from some slicks with a NYC address. Took about a year for the diehards to admit there was no game, as I recall.

This the one?

https://www.abebooks.com/Dukes-PBM-Vincent-Manna-Play-Mail/10923261125/bd

Could be, but I never heard of anyone actually receiving anything at all from the company, much less ever playing a turn. This being pre-internet days, there were letters to Paper Mayhem and I think Flagship complaining that there was no game and that it was a scam. I know letters I sent to the company were never answered. If that's the same folks, they owe me a refund with twenty years interest  >:D
Lots of us sent sign up money for a new game called Dukes of Hell from some slicks with a NYC address. Took about a year for the diehards to admit there was no game, as I recall.

This the one?

https://www.abebooks.com/Dukes-PBM-Vincent-Manna-Play-Mail/10923261125/bd
Great article Avery! However, it sounds like the game is one of the weaker ones in the series.
I've used Steelgrave as my online persona for around twenty years now. I honestly don't remember what name I was using when PBMing. I think I wrote three or four reviews for Paper Mayhem and one for Flagship so I wasn't super prolific or anything as a writer. As a player however....looking at the list you provided, I probably played 70% of those games. I'm very surprised and even a little tempted to see some old favorites are still around, in particular Alamaze. Lots of fun memories there. PBM even had it's share of "vaporware" (or would that be "paperware"?). Lots of us sent sign up money for a new game called Dukes of Hell from some slicks with a NYC address. Took about a year for the diehards to admit there was no game, as I recall.
I wrote reviews for Flagship and Paper Mayhem (now there's an oldie for ya!). Your list brings back lots of memories. Hell, I don't think I've looked forward to checking the mail each day since 1996. Good times, man.

There are a few back issues of Flagship magazine available for download at: http://flagshipmagazine.co.uk/index.php?a=home&sa=lib&tid=11
Welcome, Charles! I was a big, big PBMer back in the day before a shiny new Commodore 64 stole my heart. I played countless games of Alamaze, Global Supremacy, Hyborian War, Flying Buffalo titles of course, Rolling Thunder had a massive space game and a WWII game I poured money into, and countless smaller titles I don't remember the names to anymore. I wrote reviews for Flagship and Paper Mayhem (now there's an oldie for ya!). Your list brings back lots of memories. Hell, I don't think I've looked forward to checking the mail each day since 1996. Good times, man.

Thanks, Steelgrave!

My first computer was a Commodore 128 that I purchased at Sears, kept for about two weeks, and I took it back. I was substantially disappointed in it. My next computer was an Emerson 386/SX-16 Mhz with 1 Meg of RAM. The difference was night and day!

What name did you write under for Paper Mayhem and Flagship, if you don't mind me asking?

You've got all those PBM memories that you're hoarding. We need to get you spilling the beans, Steelgrave. Your memories will prompt memories in others.
Welcome, Charles! I was a big, big PBMer back in the day before a shiny new Commodore 64 stole my heart. I played countless games of Alamaze, Global Supremacy, Hyborian War, Flying Buffalo titles of course, Rolling Thunder had a massive space game and a WWII game I poured money into, and countless smaller titles I don't remember the names to anymore. I wrote reviews for Flagship and Paper Mayhem (now there's an oldie for ya!). Your list brings back lots of memories. Hell, I don't think I've looked forward to checking the mail each day since 1996. Good times, man.
Welcome!

Thanks, Bob!

Welcome to Grogheads, Charles!  Good to have you with us!

Thanks, Martok, I appreciate the welcome!

Welcome, Charles!  Saw ads for PBM games in Dragon Magazine as I was growing up.  Looked like a neat way to game.  I just knew I wouldn't keep up with it, so I never started one.

Thanks, MetalDog. I believe that I got started playing PBM games by responding to an ad for Hyborian War, which used to appear on the back cover of the black and white Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga magazines. I had no idea what to expect, really.

Welcome to the Grogs Charles. Careful about using the word, "dongle" around this crowd. It sets them off.  ;D

Understood, Sir Slash. I'll try to not mention it - unless circumstances dictate it, of course.

Moistens the loins.

Honestly, Mirth, I didn't come here with any hidden agenda to moisten loins. That said, if others are here for that purpose, then carry on, gentlemen. As you were.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10