Main Menu

Recent posts

Current Events / Re: Baltimore Bridge Collapse
Last post by Windigo - Yesterday at 11:07:49 AM
Am disappointed, came here for the conspiracy theories...

RIP, the bridge work crew.
Last post by Tripoli - Yesterday at 10:01:49 AM
There is a suggestion that it may have been contaminated fuel that caused the power loss. I'm not sure I agree that is a likely reason.  My reason for this opinion is that the presence of contaminated fuel should have been detected both by the port (if the contaminated fuel was brought onboard) or by the crew before ever departing port.  At least in the USN, we did fuel quality checks (going off of memory here) every 12 hours underway, and it was part of the checklist before any restricted maneuvering situation (such as entering/leaving port).  The checks are not that difficult, and I'm sure that doing the checks would be part of the regulations for merchants.   https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/baltimore-container-ship-crisis
Last post by Redwolf - Yesterday at 07:30:44 AM

Here is (in German) a report on the bridge with comments from one English and one German structural engineers. Basically they echo what was said above. You wouldn't build the bridge like this anymore, but in 1977 that was OK.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/baltimore-warum-ist-die-bruecke-eingestuerzt-und-was-weiss-man-ueber-das-containerschiff-a-a9b0409f-b823-48cc-830e-f1a3c34d265d
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: More Pix For A Laugh
Last post by Staggerwing - Yesterday at 05:34:28 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 26, 2024, 05:35:32 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 26, 2024, 03:17:43 PMInteresting.  Surprised to see NYC is not listed.

thats the whole point of the meme.  no NYC, no Chicago  :buck2:

No New Haven...
Last post by Tripoli - March 26, 2024, 09:00:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 26, 2024, 08:49:22 PMHow many crew are on a ship like that now?
I recall hearing that there were 22 onboard the M/V DALI.  Regarding the piers: Apparently, the FS Key bridge was completed in 1977, before these large containerships were in use, so it didn't have the bumpers that are now state of the art.  The question as to why they weren't retrofitted will be fascinating, I'm sure.
Regarding the dropping of the metal structure: some commentators say that the pier that was hit was one of the major structural support piers.  I'm not a bridge expert, but it seems that having a major structural support near the shipping channel is one of those things you would try to avoid, if possible.  From a design standpoint, it may not have been possible in this case.  For a bit of historical analogy, in 2002, the I-40 bridge in Oklahoma was dropped by a barge hitting it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-40_bridge_disaster
Last post by Gusington - March 26, 2024, 08:49:22 PM
How many crew are on a ship like that now?
Last post by GDS_Starfury - March 26, 2024, 08:27:21 PM
pretty sure its concrete, the main problem with the bridge was that it didnt have bumpers.
Last post by Redwolf - March 26, 2024, 08:13:08 PM
Aren't the bottoms of such bridge pillars/posts normally made of concrete?

I don't think I have seen another bridge where the metal structure goes down into the water.
Last post by Tripoli - March 26, 2024, 08:09:55 PM
Here is a comparison of the GPS track compared to the video.  Interesting.  Looks like the DALI lost power at pretty much the worst possible time.  My read of this is that the crew didn't have time to take adequate action to stop the collision.