Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Civilization VI!!?!
« Last post by Cheimison on Today at 02:39:36 PM »
Civ has always played much like a board game. If you keep that in mind I don't find the system odd at all.
I don't recall Risk having artillery running around detached from units. I mean, according to Civ a Legion is literally just the guys with the shields and swords - no artillery, no cavalry, no light infantry, no archers. That's just a weird. I think building 'armies' would make more sense than having tiny fractional support units treated as entire armies themselves.
EU4 is bad enough with its twenty-two thousand man artillery battalions.
Don't get me wrong, I like all of the Civ games (except maybe 4) but they're extremely bizarre. The AI has no purpose but to frustrate the player, it's totally irrational and ahistorical.
« Last post by Yskonyn on Today at 02:21:29 PM »
Civ has always played much like a board game. If you keep that in mind I don't find the system odd at all.
Field of Glory II, Pike and Shot and Singoku Jidai all use the same engine, are all excellent and make for a great start on the tactical side. 

Might be worth checking out Operational Art of War IV when it comes out as well.
I'm laughing because I actually have many of the games being recommended, I just wasn't sure where to start.

LOL, missed the post where you said you got it.   I'm even sober, so no excuse.
Ally/Opponent Finder / Re: Field of Glory 2 Grogheads Tournament
« Last post by mkivcs on Today at 01:51:54 PM »
Sounds fun. I'm in.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Decisions Decisions
« Last post by Cheimison on Today at 01:38:26 PM »
Very interesting...I'm at the FoG II/Bomber Crew decision-fork also.  I own P&S and think it's a good game, thus I know that FoGII will be be good.  However, isn't it essentially just P&S with different skins?

New shiny skins. But P&S doesnít cover the era so they arenít competitors. If you liked the P&S gameplay and ancient era, then itís a definite buy.
It plays quite a bit differently, too, especially since 80% of the units in P&S are shooty and have unlimited ammo. The cavalry in P&S is also quite a bit different. Only skirmishers and artillery are very shootey in FoG2, and they have 5 shots before they become very weak.
« Last post by Cheimison on Today at 01:34:27 PM »
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
Why is this new? I know Civilization is a much lighter/more casual/sandboxy game than most, but I don't understand why basic and obvious features like this took literally thirty years to be implemented. Why in God's name would a STRATEGIC LEVEL GAME have a Legion with no support take up an entire space the size of a God damn city? Civ5 just made it worse, because there's no stacking. Why in God's name would a STRATEGIC LEVEL GAME even allow you to deploy artillery without it being attached to a cavalry or infantry division? This makes no sense whatsoever. In fact, why isn't artillery INCLUDED in infantry from the moment you get the technology? Nobody has artillery running around loose with no army, and no regular troops from the late medieval period onward would arrive on the battlefield - much less at a siege - without artillery. In fact, simply having lower strength could easily represent lacking artillery given the high level of abstraction involved. Or how about 'machine gunners' being their own army, lol, WTF is that supposed to be? It's a grand strategy game that has more graininess than a tactical game, why?

That's the main thing that annoys me about Civ, it's a fun game but warfare is so tedious, slow and nonsensical. That and oil-powered battlecruisers that take several years to cross an ocean.
I know it's for #muhBalance #muhGameplay, but if your engine requires patent gibberish to be 'balanced' you should probably rework the entire combat modeling involved.

Also, units should upgrade and get bonuses from tech, instead of being replaced.
Field of Glory II, Pike and Shot and Singoku Jidai all use the same engine, are all excellent and make for a great start on the tactical side. 

Might be worth checking out Operational Art of War IV when it comes out as well.
I'm laughing because I actually have many of the games being recommended, I just wasn't sure where to start.
« Last post by Tactical Wargamer on Today at 01:14:57 PM »
I have it but not really any good at it. Love to play an MP game with a more seasoned veteran to learn more :)
Steam = Tactical Wargamer
Feel free to friend me
Still a little dated no? CIV V and VI a little modern UI/Graphics for sure :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10