Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Thanks Yskonyn  O0

The fuel shut off lever is the big yellow and black striped lever left side behind the pilot isn't it? That was definitely down...and on at least one occasion, I restarted the process - so I guess it "failed" a second time.

But iirc none of those times did I notice the lever "popping" back up.

I'll have a read around though...see what I can do to "unstick" it.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

You should also check the DEC switch.
And there is a hard to see black lever next to the throttle. I can't remember is that is the actual DEC switch, but its the 'popping back' one I mentioned in my previous post.
Once you discover how it works and when it clicks back, starting the Harrier becomes easy.
Sorry I can't be more detailed, haven't started it up in a long while now, but if you require more info I can assist later.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2018, 12:53:29 AM
I'm really going to have to get another stick and unfortunately it'll probably be nothing fancy (not that I use all the controls on this stick).

I recently got this one and I'm pleased with it : https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS-System-Software/dp/B01H6KXGDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526286801&sr=8-1&keywords=thrustmaster+t16000m

Paid 105 € for a new one (Amazon Germany was the lowest price for me - Amazon UK sells it for around 140 €)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 14, 2018, 03:51:52 AM
I'm really going to have to get another stick and unfortunately it'll probably be nothing fancy (not that I use all the controls on this stick).

I recently got this one and I'm pleased with it : https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS-System-Software/dp/B01H6KXGDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526286801&sr=8-1&keywords=thrustmaster+t16000m

Paid 105 € for a new one (Amazon Germany was the lowest price for me - Amazon UK sells it for around 140 €)
Thanks Pete. Do they connect to each other or do they have individual USB connections?
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2018, 03:57:29 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 14, 2018, 03:51:52 AM

Thanks Pete. Do they connect to each other or do they have individual USB connections?

2 USB connections are required.

JudgeDredd

Someone mentioned (here and I've seen it elsewhere) that it could be drawing too much power from the USB system...so I'm buying an AC USB hub to start - see if that helps.

If it doesn't then it's driver/hardware related and I'll look to replace. I've already tried different drivers for it which didn't work.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I think I'm going to drop the Harrier for a bit.

The startup is really, really fickle. Whenever I start on the ramp, either the engine won't spool at all (I've left the throttle all the way back and don't touch it) or, like last night, the engines spooled but when I applied throttle, there was no increase in power (no noise, no movement, no RPM increase). It's hit and miss whether it'll start.

Admittedly, it might be down to joystick issues. I might try

I used to be able to start it everytime and I have the startup down pat though I do admit it might be the video I watched had the engine start as it was modeled back then and there may be something else now enabled as the model goes through beta that I'm missing.

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Two questions on DCS related to 2 different things...

1. Does anyone feel that landing the Harrier is like landing an elephant that's got butterfly wings? My experiences so far have resulted in ending up in the drink. My approach is superb. My velocity, thrust and height control is excellent. I'm approaching the landing craft and suddenly it starts to sway - first one way then another. In my vein attempt to push the landing, I often end up clicking the landing craft and ending up swimming home. But everything was going great. I was in full control until those last 20 seconds or so.

2. When bombing in any aircraft, I think it's CCIP mode that has a circle at the end of the vertical line (I don't know the terminology). More often than not that circle is not visible until the last minute when over the target or is not visible at all. My question is, how do you get that circle visible if you are - say - at angels 10? I want to keep myself out of harms way so I want to bomb the target from up high. It seems the only way I can do that (and get the bombing reticule in the HUD) is to dive. Is that right? Are you always having to dive?

I mean - in this guy's video, he's getting down very low to get that cross and putting himself in real danger from small arms or AA fire (skip to 8:10)

Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 24, 2018, 07:09:52 AM
Two questions on DCS related to 2 different things...

1. Does anyone feel that landing the Harrier is like landing an elephant that's got butterfly wings? My experiences so far have resulted in ending up in the drink. My approach is superb. My velocity, thrust and height control is excellent. I'm approaching the landing craft and suddenly it starts to sway - first one way then another. In my vein attempt to push the landing, I often end up clicking the landing craft and ending up swimming home. But everything was going great. I was in full control until those last 20 seconds or so.

2. When bombing in any aircraft, I think it's CCIP mode that has a circle at the end of the vertical line (I don't know the terminology). More often than not that circle is not visible until the last minute when over the target or is not visible at all. My question is, how do you get that circle visible if you are - say - at angels 10? I want to keep myself out of harms way so I want to bomb the target from up high. It seems the only way I can do that (and get the bombing reticule in the HUD) is to dive. Is that right? Are you always having to dive?

Maybe this can help :

Harrier landing :

CCIP :

JudgeDredd

Well - admittedly whilst I've watched a few, I haven't seen those Harrier ones.

All bookmarked - thx  O0
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 24, 2018, 07:09:52 AM

CCIP is always used for dive bombing.  For level bombing, use CCRP if your HUD has that mode.

Yskonyn

CCIP only works with high angles of dive. 45 degrees nose down is not uncommon.
It's a legacy system and not used very much IRL anymore. CCRP is a much more efficient and safe option, but it requires SPI (Sensor Point of Interest) which makes it a chore for moving targets.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Cool. Thanks both.  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^Already posted above.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 24, 2018, 10:48:13 AM
^Already posted above.

I was watching it now on their channel and noticed they used CCIP so I posted it without much thinking ...