Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Thanks...might be too much stick for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

Eagle Dynamics just announced that their long time, heavy handed, immature forum moderator, SithSpawn has been promoted to community manager.

He also changed his name to NineLine.

New name. Same rules. He is one of the reasons I avoid the official ED forums. Unfortunately, they have also infiltrated r/Hoggit and bans are handed out like candy now too.

Pete Dero

JudgeDredd

oh sweet baby Jesus  :notworthy:

I hope they release this sooner rather than later
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 06, 2018, 09:59:14 AM

Ya know.. it will probably require another year of patching after first releasing in the "public beta" stage, right?

I'm just wondering which parts won't be working properly when it first arrives.  Still on the fence about getting it sooner rather than waiting out all the updates.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on March 06, 2018, 04:29:41 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 06, 2018, 09:59:14 AM

Ya know.. it will probably require another year of patching after first releasing in the "public beta" stage, right?

I'm just wondering which parts won't be working properly when it first arrives.  Still on the fence about getting it sooner rather than waiting out all the updates.

Do you seriously give a rats behind if the God damn AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR targeting pod isn't 100% functional at the time of EARLY ACCESS release? I mean seriously...the thing looks beautiful and appears to fly really well too. If you demand exacting fidelity upon early access release, that's ok, but I don't see any reason to knock it at this point. The module is looking like it is shaping up to be one of the best to date.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 06, 2018, 04:35:22 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 06, 2018, 04:29:41 PM

Do you seriously give a rats behind if the God damn AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR targeting pod isn't 100% functional at the time of EARLY ACCESS release? 

Yes.

I mean seriously...the thing looks beautiful and appears to fly really well too. If you demand exacting fidelity upon early access release, that's ok, but I don't see any reason to knock it at this point. The module is looking like it is shaping up to be one of the best to date.

I'll get it at some point.   Sexayy. 

I don't need exacting fidelity.  Actually, I've mentioned that I'm quite happy with FC3 levels of detail in DCS.  However, if I'm going to spend the time learning all this stuff, I'd prefer to do it when it's all finalized and I don't have to adjust old habits in tandem with updates. 

I'm also less excited about doing early access these days.  I think it's a great way for developers to get a wide range of testers to find & break stuff so it can be fixed.  Just not as excited to do it myself, nowadays.   Despite the temptation.   :)

Jarhead0331

^Well, that actually makes sense when you put it that way. The Harrier was released with a bunch of systems non-functional, or implemented in temporary fashion. i find myself holding off on really delving into it. The higher fidelity study modules definitely take dedication to learn, so I do understand not wanting to learn...and relearn...and relearn...etc. etc.

However, I don't think that ED or some of the 3rd party devs should be knocked for releasing early...so long as they continue with steady progress. Personally, I'd prefer to at least explore the module and play around leisurely sooner, rather than later. Especially, with something that looks as outstanding as the Hornet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 06, 2018, 04:48:08 PM
^Well, that actually makes sense when you put it that way. The Harrier was released with a bunch of systems non-functional, or implemented in temporary fashion. i find myself holding off on really delving into it. The higher fidelity study modules definitely take dedication to learn, so I do understand not wanting to learn...and relearn...and relearn...etc. etc. 

I noticed my tendency to wait until a newly released game was patched up and fully functional before playing, fairly recently. 

Every time I purchase a newly released game, and notably Early Access/Beta titles, I just end up waiting until all the bugs and features have been implemented.  Continually putting it off until the updates start slowing down.

Realized I should probably just hang on to the money for awhile longer and just get them later.  Because, aside from satisfying some excited curiosity, those games just end up getting little attention until later anyway.

I'm thankful to have realized this habit of mine.  It took awhile to reduce my release day purchasing, and progress is good.  O0

However, I don't think that ED or some of the 3rd party devs should be knocked for releasing early...so long as they continue with steady progress. Personally, I'd prefer to at least explore the module and play around leisurely sooner, rather than later. Especially, with something that looks as outstanding as the Hornet.

I didn't intend to blast them for releasing an early access public beta.  As mentioned, I think it's a great way to help them find the bugs and put the community's feedback to use. 

Just wanted to reiterate that it's an early access beta, and we should keep that in mind when purchasing it anytime soon.  Some people don't mind, but others do. Hell, some new games or DLC should've had such warnings placed on them, at release, when pushed out the door too early but receiving further post-release development (TW Rome 2 being a good example).  They would've been given less grief, and likely more support, with such an admittance.

RyanE

How long do these planes typically stay in early access?

Jarhead0331

Yeah...I do this with guns. When a new model I'm interested in is released, I almost never rush out to get it. Invariably, there are several quirks or issues that get engineered out of the initial runs in subsequent generations. For some reason, this ethic has not transitioned for me  into games, as well... :D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on March 06, 2018, 07:17:31 PM
How long do these planes typically stay in early access?

its different for all of them because there are several different 3rd party developers releasing modules. However, I'd say most modules are in some state of beta at this point.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

RyanE

I'm just curious if its three months, six months, a year.  Is the scale weeks, months, or years?  Typically, I mean. 

Is what you're saying that none have gotten out of beta?