Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on December 02, 2017, 02:56:54 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 02, 2017, 12:52:54 PM
Vertical take off and landing today. The landing can be classed as successful though costly  :buck2:

When you successfully do... pics or it didn't happen!   :))

You should've seen my first two attempts at landing the MiG-21.  I had heard that it's need for a low & fast landing was troublesome to get used to.  They were right.  I've turned into a wingless flaming pencil barreling through the grass twice thus far.  More expected.  :uglystupid2:
lol - done it many a time.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2017, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 02, 2017, 12:52:54 PM
Vertical take off and landing today. The landing can be classed as successful though costly  :buck2:

Good job! I only tried VTOL once. Didn't end well. I'm going to stick to traditional flight for the time being.  :-[
The startup procedure (at least the cut down one I'm doing) is pretty spritely.

As for the take off - took me a while before I realised the stock cold start mission has you over weight. I was sitting there with full thrust and no movement. I started with a few rolling TOs and then today edited the stock mission to remove the weapons and reduce fuel. The take off was pretty easy though she does get very unstable. Transition to forward flight was pretty painless too. I don't know if I did it "by the book" but it worked.

Landing - that's a lot trickier. Bird is very unstable and you have to know which way the wind is coming (that goes for take off too apparently). I landed, smashing the front gear...like I said, successful but costly. I was in hover for some time which I was pleased about.

Practice will make perfect.
Alba gu' brath

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Well - it's not pretty - but I did take off. I need to map some controls so I'm not looking about because when you're taking off the bird is so unstable - especially transitioning from hover to forward flight - that you need to keep your eyes on the hud

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

This is a landing - though not strictly vertical in nature - more a rolling landing.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I don't know why this mentions the Hornet. Is Razbam doing the Hornet too?

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Where are the stock missions? I don't see any for the AV8B in missions or training? I can only create custom ones...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Holy $hit...one weekend playing with an AV8B and I've damn near forgotten everything I learned about the F16... :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Any of you guys try "combat air patrol 2"?  Early release but I know you fly the AV-8b and it's a mid level simulator
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on December 03, 2017, 09:56:36 PM
Any of you guys try "combat air patrol 2"?  Early release but I know you fly the AV-8b and it's a mid level simulator

Yes. Development is painfully slow and priorities have been a bit "odd" in my opinion. Nevertheless, it progresses. If it ever gets a dynamic campaign as promised, it could be a contender.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on December 03, 2017, 09:56:36 PM
I wasn't impressed with it. It just came across as souless is the best way I can describe it. I knew it was early access when I bought it - but there was nothing in it that clicked for me.

As JH said development is painfully slow. If they manage to inject some life into it (and I mean the flight model and the graphics as well as a dynamic campaign), then they might rescue it.

I should've mentioned I do still have it installed and fire it up on occasion to see what's what.
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

It's all i have. I'm simply not capable of playing the DCS games so it's FC3, strike fighters 3(ugh) or CAP2. Shame because the harrier is interesting and begging for a great amphibious CS campaign.

I wish someone would make an F-111 or A-6 simulation. Not sexy but sneaking into a target, dodging sams at night and taking out a target while flying NAP...mmmm
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 03, 2017, 05:36:36 PM
Holy $hit...one weekend playing with an AV8B and I've damn near forgotten everything I learned about the F16... :'(

That's the problem with these sims.