Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2017, 08:27:07 AM
Quote from: RyanE on October 28, 2017, 03:34:28 PM
I noticed some of the DLC says "Steam incompatible".  I am assuming that means that if I bought DCS on Steam, I can't use those DLCs with it...is that correct?

You are correct.

They don't usually release their Steam version of new modules until LONG after going public (i.e. "beta").

I forget, the ones you can use in both, do get in both, like Matrix?  I guess it wouldn't matter, you're usually only going to be using one module for the most part of a session.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 29, 2017, 08:28:35 AM
I noticed some of the DLC says "Steam incompatible".  I am assuming that means that if I bought DCS on Steam, I can't use those DLCs with it...is that correct?

You are correct.

They don't usually release their Steam version of new modules until LONG after going public (i.e. "beta").

I forget, the ones you can use in both, do get in both, like Matrix?  I guess it wouldn't matter, you're usually only going to be using one module for the most part of a session.

No.

The separate DCS clients have their own logins, keys, etc. 

Completely separate.  Just like Rise Of Flight.

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2017, 08:29:30 AM
Quote from: Tuna on October 29, 2017, 08:28:35 AM

You are correct.

No.

The separate DCS clients have their own logins, keys, etc. 

Completely separate.  Just like Rise Of Flight.

Roger, then stick with Non Steam I guess. Maybe 2nd will take over command of the ground forces some day.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 29, 2017, 08:36:09 AM

Roger, then stick with Non Steam I guess. Maybe 2nd will take over command of the ground forces some day.

Yeah, just get the direct version if you want all the options.

Multiple sales a year, so no big deal.

RyanE

I was real close to buying DCS on Steam and didn't even look at the company site.  I am glad I did.  I would have been a little put off not being to run everything.  There should be a big warning on Steam about the differences.

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2017, 10:20:27 AM
I was real close to buying DCS on Steam and didn't even look at the company site.  I am glad I did.  I would have been a little put off not being to run everything.  There should be a big warning on Steam about the differences.

It is mentioned a few times, but sometimes not in plain sight:

DCS Store : only activate on DCS
Older Steam modules : activate on Steam and DCS
Newer Steam modules : only activate on Steam

IMPORTANT! Change in copy protection

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/2741975115067023612/

Please note that the DCS: M-2000C, and all future DCS World DLC releases on Steam, will now use Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys. As such, these purchases cannot be activated on the DCS World e-Shop version. Previous purchases will not be affected.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/411892/DCS_M2000C/

Please note that this DLC uses Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys. As such, this purchase cannot be activated on the DCS World e-Shop version.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/411920/DCS_Spitfire_LF_Mk_IX/

**EFFECTIVE 05/12/2017, STARTING w/ DCS:M2000C and Newer, Modules will no Longer Use Starforce and Will Use Steam's DRM, There fore these Modules Cannot be Purchased and Used with the Eagle Dynamics Distribution**
(Easiest Way to tell is Modules that still use starforce will have the 3rd Party DRM Notice in the Features List on the Right Side when You are on Module's/DLCs Page).

Can I activate my DCS World Module purchased on steam on DCS World Standalone(Non-Steam)?

Yes, you will simply need to retrieve your serial key which can be found within your steam library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key" then use this serial key to authenticate your module on DCS World.

Another way to view your cd-key is by simply by clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library as SkateZilla mentioned

Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Note: from 06/07/2014, License Keys purchased from ED, Gamefly or other External Sources will no longer activate on Steam.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113587

RyanE

Does that mean that to own and play all planes and modules, you need to install Steam and standalone DCS?

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2017, 11:38:59 AM
Does that mean that to own and play all planes and modules, you need to install Steam and standalone DCS?

No,  but DCS will give you access to the most planes and modules (e.g. beta modules can't be found or activated on Steam)

You can have the 2 installs but best decide on only one.

What are the differences between the Standalone DCS World and the Steam version?

Steam Version :
- Auto-Update without launching the game (as long as steam is open)
- Faster Update Speed
- Steam In-Game Overlay
- Steam Friend List Notifications
- Quick Repair
- DLCs not present on steam are unsupported

Standalone DCS World :
- Get all the modules as soon as they are released
- Does not require any extra program to be launched
- Has every single modules available

If you are fine with waiting for most product to be available on steam and like most of the Steam feature, the Steam version might be for you.
If you own unsupported products such as Upgrades / FC3 or do not care about the Steam functionalities, Standalone DCS World might be for you.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113587

Nefaro

Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2017, 11:38:59 AM

To have all the stuff available, all you need is the standalone DCS client.

Right now, there are two separate DCS clients: 

1)  v1.5 =  the older one with the Black Sea map.

2)  v2.0 =  beta version of the improved game engine that has improved lighting and more optimized gfx, but only runs on the Nevada Range map right now.

They're currently working on v2.5, which will merge everything back into one unified version, using the newer engine, once the devs get the improvements & such finished. 

If you don't pick up the NTTR map module, then the v1.5 client is what you want to use right now. 

If you have the NTTR map, and want to try out the newer version of the game engine along with that map, you'll need to use the v2 client.

I currently have both versions installed since I picked up NTTR on a sale.  The prospect of using the new engine, along with having a new desert map with improved features to fly on, won out.  But I keep v1.5 installed because there are still a number of MP servers I want to fly on with that, too.  \m/

RyanE

Pete Dero

Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2017, 05:34:31 PM

If you don't pick up the NTTR map module, then the v1.5 client is what you want to use right now. 

If you have the NTTR map, and want to try out the newer version of the game engine along with that map, you'll need to use the v2 client.

The same goes for the WWII Normandy Map -> needs v2.

DCS World 2.5 Update (posted a year ago)    https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2948302&postcount=57

We have determined that the DCS World 2.5 update will not be available in 2016 as we had earlier hoped. This is mainly due to additional work needing to be done of the Caucasus map update, and we don't feel it can be accomplished within the next two months at a high level of quality. Before we can complete this map update, we first need to finalize and release both the Nevada map update and the Normandy map. Those, along with the Spitfire, are now our highest priorities. Once the Nevada update and the Normandy map tasks are complete, our map team can return to the Caucuses map and move the 2.5 closer to an Open Beta release.

Guess at this moment 2017 is also no longer achievable ... 

Yskonyn

They keep quiet these days, cause they have been burned by stating release timeframes and not making them on several occasions now.
Caucasus updated is their main priority at the moment as that is going to be the last hurdle before the 2.5 merge can happen. A recent video interview with Wags revealed that everyone at ED is eager to complete the 2.5 work, but he didn't dare to say when it will be released.
I have a bit of hope we might see it coming as a nice Christmas present, otherwise I'd say all bets are off. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

So I was going to learn the A-10C over the weekend - and then thought "What are you doing? You'll be wanting to learn the Harrier in a few weeks"...so I bailed.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 30, 2017, 05:29:47 AM
They keep quiet these days, cause they have been burned by stating release timeframes and not making them on several occasions now.
Caucasus updated is their main priority at the moment as that is going to be the last hurdle before the 2.5 merge can happen. A recent video interview with Wags revealed that everyone at ED is eager to complete the 2.5 work, but he didn't dare to say when it will be released.
I have a bit of hope we might see it coming as a nice Christmas present, otherwise I'd say all bets are off. :)

I'd be surprised to see v2.5 before middle of next year.  If they're doing internal testing on it, anyway.  Would be worried about running it if they didn't do much of it.  :-\

Yskonyn

How are you faring Jarhead?
One tip to enjoying any flightsim is to have a tight and intuitive TrackIR profile. I've often seen people 'fighting' the view controls and loosing tally of enemies and loosing situational awareness.
I created a baseline profile that is regarded as popular within the BMS and DCS scene. If you want it i can send it (to anyone whos interested ofc)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."