Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

I'm not familiar with DCS but saw the base game is free on Steam, appears to come with one plane and then you can purchase others as add-on modules.  Is it noob friendly at all, i.e. does it have realism levels, tutorials, etc.? And does it have single player or just MP?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on October 29, 2016, 07:47:20 AM
I'm not familiar with DCS but saw the base game is free on Steam, appears to come with one plane and then you can purchase others as add-on modules.  Is it noob friendly at all, i.e. does it have realism levels, tutorials, etc.? And does it have single player or just MP?

No expert, but I am noob/newbie at this series....it has various difficulty settings/assistance that allows me to play it without being an expert...of course pure flight simmers would say I am missing out on the best parts by not going full sim:)  And yes there are single player missions (and campaigns I believe for some), I never play MP.  Actually thinking about getting back into this, I only have a few items.  I always struggle whether go steam version or the company's direct version.....likely will go steam.

Tuna

The base game is free on and off Steam.  So if you don't like to use Steam you can go to their website and install a standalone version.
The free plane is a Ground Attack Plane Su-25T and it's a lot of fun to learn (takes some time to get a comfortable setup, mapping commands to your Joystick and all). When you start hitting stuff with Missiles and Bombs it's very rewarding.

MP is a lot of fun, Nef and I have been playing a lot on the Open Conflict Server (I guess Jomni has been on too). So it's easy to hop right in. There is also a lot of 'cheap' planes that you can buy, f-15c, Su-27, Mig 29, etc... If you want to spend some cash or wait for a sale, there is also pretty intense ones with totally clickable cockpits as well. The cheap ones are still a lot of fun and take some time to learn to fly, but they still have very nice graphics in the cockpit  too (Just can't click anything, it's all done by commands).

Tuna

Rayfer, if you do decide to give it a try, this Video Series Nef posted a link for earlier is very good!

Grim.Reaper

Can someone clear up Steam vs buying from the digital store?  If I buy from steam, can I also download from their store?  Thought there was something about this at one time....I know you can't do the other way, from their store to steam though.  Just trying to figure out best way to buy....also assuming that MP can happen between steam and non-steam users?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 29, 2016, 09:20:41 AM
If I buy from steam, can I also download from their store? 

When you buy from steam you get a key.

On the DCS site you go to your profile and verify that key (license check)
You can decide then to bind this key to your profile and the next time you start up DCS it will be available to download in the module manager.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/

What are the differences between the Standalone DCS World and the Steam version?

Steam Version:
- Auto-Update without launching the game (as long as steam is open)
- Faster Update Speed
- Steam In-Game Overlay
- Steam Friend List Notifications
- Quick Repair
- DLCs not present on Steam are unsupported

Standalone DCS World:
- Get all the modules as soon as they are released
- Does not require any extra program to be launched
- Has every single modules available

Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Note: from 06/07/2014, License Keys purchased from ED, Gamefly or other External Sources will no longer activate on Steam.

Can I activate my DCS World Module purchased on Steam on DCS World Standalone(Non-Steam)?

Yes, you will simply need to retrieve your serial key which can be found within your steam library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key" then use this serial key to authenticate your module on DCS World.
Another way to view your cd-key is by simply by clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library. [/i]

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the detail....kind of leaning towards steam, is that what most people do?

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 29, 2016, 11:11:38 AM
Thanks for the detail....kind of leaning towards steam, is that what most people do?

I'm going to go with Steam and try it out. And thanks to all the recent replies to my questions...they are a great help. I look forward to viewing the Nef's videos that Tuna posted.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on October 29, 2016, 12:41:42 PM

I'm going to go with Steam and try it out. And thanks to all the recent replies to my questions...they are a great help. I look forward to viewing the Nef's videos that Tuna posted.

Me too I think with FC3...with the decent current deal.

Hartford688

I'll do the same...also thanks to everyone for the pointers.

I also saw this series of videos - since I'd like to try the Su27 - I watched the first episode and I though it well done. I'll still no doubt be an expensive Russian lawndart though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwDt9SaoI4&list=PLhHVAPapYWCqAJlyMHYpBoelMm5EesHJs

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 29, 2016, 12:51:11 PM

Me too I think with FC3...with the decent current deal.

If anyone ends up enjoying the free aircraft, and want to pick up more DCS aircraft with similar levels of modelling (and fighter aircraft), I'd highly recommend spending a little extra on picking up the Flaming Cliffs 3 module, instead of the $10 F-15c or Su-27. 

FC3 is a better deal for all the aircraft you get, compared to buying separately.   Especially since it's on sale quite regularly.  Regularly $40, but you can often pick it up for ~$20 to $25.

You get:  F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A/G, MiG-29S, and Su-25 as flyables.  It includes the F-15C and Su-27 modules being sold separately, but you also get an A-10, the older version of the Su-25, three versions of the MiG-29, and the carrier-based Su-33 which can do carrier landings. 

The free Su-25T is a fun air-to-ground missile truck.  Good for blowing up some dirt.  But you're not going to be doing fancy high-G acrobatics or dogfighting in that heavy beast. 

Be aware that there is only a handful "canned" single-player missions in DCS, and generally a few extras in each module (except FC3?).  Most of my single-player time, which is little, has been spent in missions created by the random Mission Generator.  I imagine that would quickly become the single-player selection of choice after awhile.

The Mission Generator is so-so.  It has drop-downs for selecting parameters.  What, and how many, types of threats & friendlies will be included, weather, etc.  Although you'll probably see stuff like an enemy armored formation just sitting in a perfect 4 column by 4 row formation, which can be a bit immersion jarring for me but just a minor thing.

DCS is primarily just a toolkit for users to create their own missions/scenarios.  Without any career-style dynamic single player campaign, I just gravitate straight to multi-player after using single-player random missions to get basic familiarity with an a/c type.  Others may be happy enough with single-player missions, but I think it's a major weakness in DCS.

Hartford688

Hi Nefaro

Thanks for taking the time to post this, very helpful.

As you say, FC3 looks a more rounded deal than just (say) getting the SU27 module.

On the campaign front, indeed it can be a bit less engaging without a campaign to get involved in.

I saw this on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/316963/

Have you used, or heard commented on? The reviews on Steam seem OK.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Hartford688 on October 29, 2016, 03:11:26 PM
Hi Nefaro

Thanks for taking the time to post this, very helpful.

As you say, FC3 looks a more rounded deal than just (say) getting the SU27 module.

On the campaign front, indeed it can be a bit less engaging without a campaign to get involved in.

I saw this on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/316963/

Have you used, or heard commented on? The reviews on Steam seem OK.

It being only $6 and containing 20 missions, seems worth it at .30 a piece...even if not great:)

Hartford688

Haha yes, you're right.

FC3 plus that mission pack it is.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Hartford688 on October 29, 2016, 03:23:35 PM
Haha yes, you're right.

FC3 plus that mission pack it is.

Seems like that have the Warthog campaign pack as well:)