Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Did a few mulitplayer sorties in various servers.  Not a bad experience though no real engagements.  Just ran into AI targets who hardly fight back.
The servers with a shield icon, what does it mean? 

Yskonyn

That means the server runs an integrity check on files. If it turns red you can click it to see which files and mods didn't pass.
Its part of the anti-cheat feature.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 23, 2016, 06:37:28 PM
Did a few mulitplayer sorties in various servers.  Not a bad experience though no real engagements.  Just ran into AI targets who hardly fight back.
The servers with a shield icon, what does it mean?

Be careful.  Some AI do fight back. 

Taking on a pair of "Elite" level AI F-16s armed with 120s isn't a cakewalk.  You'll be shot at & pursued for sure.   Taking out AI bombers, on the other hand, is cheese.

Not all servers have AI aircraft.  Just depends on the custom mission they made.  I suggested stuff like the Open Conflict server because it has a mix of AI and player pilots.  You can still get some action without seeking out players, or when there are few online or they're mostly doing ground attack.

Many servers have AI ground targets, however, and that usually includes air defenses.  Got my Frogfoot shot down, a few times, by AAA gunfire alone.  The SAMs also start ripple firing if you get too far into their engagement zone.  A couple of the Russkie warship SAMs have been especially punishing for me, especially when my attention is already focused on enemy aircraft and I wander into their SAM envelope without paying much attention.

Nefaro

If you use Windows 10, the jagoffs at Microsoft keep installing some shitty Xbox App that can make your PC hardware inputs lag. Possibly even some games, too.

I was experiencing this with my CH Rudder Pedal input.  It would occasionally get sluggish, and I could see this happening in the software for it.  Would start happening after playing DCS for a time, making me over-compensate on the rudder when taking off or landing.

This doesn't only happen for DCS, judging by reports, either.

Easy to remove with just a single command line:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-the-xbox-app-in-windows-10/

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Hello there Nefaro. Almost shot you down but I chickened out.

Tuna

Fox 3! Shouldn't chicken out, he doesn't bite.. I've shot him down.. while on the same team!  >:D

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 24, 2016, 08:34:51 AM

Saw you on earlier. 

You guys were locking me up regularly.  My RWR was going nuts the whole time I was out there, on two runs.  Surprised nobody fired on me!

Cuz I'm in yer Oil Fieldz, bombin' yer tankaz!  :))

Nefaro

I may have to re-learn the Ka-50 before long, too.

Thought about doing the A-10C, but no hurry.  Since it's systems are very similar to the Viper, I will probably just learn the F-16 in Falcon BMS first.  May as well get more variety out of the first effort.  Then it should be a simple transition to the A-10C later on.  Besides, I've already been flying the A-10A in DCS.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on October 24, 2016, 11:09:00 AM

Saw you on earlier. 

You guys were locking me up regularly.  My RWR was going nuts the whole time I was out there, on two runs.  Surprised nobody fired on me!

Well all those bogeys with active jamming were spooking me out so I concentrated on avoiding or taking them down.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 24, 2016, 05:11:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 24, 2016, 11:09:00 AM

Saw you on earlier. 

Well all those bogeys with active jamming were spooking me out so I concentrated on avoiding or taking them down.

Was mine even working on your radar? 

I think the Su-25T's Jammer pods are meant more for jamming SAM radars than Air Intercept ones.  So it may not work very well, in-game, against those.

jomni

I think your jammers worked too at some distance.  But it's so hard to decide which jamming source to engage.

In the end I homed in on a low flying Mirage at close range but lost the head-on joust. :P

I'm having trouble shooting anything down with the AIM120 due to jamming.  I must practice to rely on AWACS directing me to targets next time.   Then see if Home On Jam works once range is optimal based on bogey dope reading.  But I still expect probability of kill (PK) to be low.

I think I'll stick to the F-15 until I get really good at shooting things down and staying alive.  I'm pretty confident with flying and systems operations now.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 24, 2016, 09:44:11 PM
I think your jammers worked too at some distance.  But it's so hard to decide which jamming source to engage.

In the end I homed in on a low flying Mirage at close range but lost the head-on joust. :P

I'm having trouble shooting anything down with the AIM120 due to jamming.  I must practice to rely on AWACS directing me to targets next time.   Then see if Home On Jam works once range is optimal based on bogey dope reading.  But I still expect probability of kill (PK) to be low.

I think I'll stick to the F-15 until I get really good at shooting things down and staying alive.  I'm pretty confident with flying and systems operations now.

Yeah, I'd recommend getting familiar with how everything else works, using the F-15 for awhile.  I did all my flying in it for a week or two straight, while getting learning it all. 

It's really the best at BVR, with it's AMRAAM and superior radar.   But you do need to call AWACS often and get a Bogey Dope because sometimes the AI AWACS will get lazy with your specific updates on nearby targets without doing so. 

The Su-27 has a data link tv, which shows this stuff, but it doesn't carry any active-homing missiles so it's outclassed in long-range head on shooting, since it has to guide it's radar missiles all the way.  Gotta get lots of practice dodging missiles, without turning away, to do that regularly.  And it's still a crap shoot.

Just spam the 'Bogey Dope' requests when they inform you of Bandits within 50nm.  F-15 should have the advantage for a long time, if you can get them on ID'd on radar, switch over to TWS Mode, and start locking them up.   You can lock up to 4 targets in TWS mode, and then you will fire an AMRAAM at each one, in order, for each pickle. 

Players usually dive and start beaming an F-15 that locks them, however, to get their lock to keep dropping.  So be ready to re-lock & launch your second missile when they turn back into you, or away from you if you're close enough for the missile to chase them down at that angle.

I'm still practicing getting all the muscle memory of it down.  Notably getting lock, firing, making missile defeating moves, and then knowing when I can briefly turn back in to re-engage.  Very timing intensive. 

Nefaro

Scuttlebutt says the F-18 is supposed to be released in a couple weeks™

Toonces

Is this server Black Sea only, or do I need Nevada also?

This chatter is making me want to install DCS again and woop up on you guys.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs