Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2016, 02:38:04 PM

According to the article, the Su-27 most certainly possesses fly-by-wire technology. In fact, it was the cause of several fatal crashes of a few of the early prototypes. Apparently, the Su-27 was the Soviet Union's first operational use of a fly-by-wire system.

Yes, it uses some computer assistance, to keep it stable.  But it doesn't automate much else, such as trim.  More of a minimalist approach I guess.

jomni

I'm going to definitely fly DCS this weekend. Fingers crossed.  Will try out the Su27 then decide if I will stick to it or go back to the F15.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 20, 2016, 09:40:22 PM
I'm going to definitely fly DCS this weekend. Fingers crossed.  Will try out the Su27 then decide if I will stick to it or go back to the F15.

The F-15 is easier to get air-to-air kills with.  Due to their AIM-120s and good radar.  I'd suggest starting with that one for a bit before switching, as the Su-27 takes a bit more getting used to.  They're all fun, though, so do whatever you feel like!

If you haven't, watch Ralfidude's YouTube vid I posted a couple pages back in this thread.  The one about setting up your buttons & such.  It tells you what you need to know.  I should've watched it before jumping in, would've saved time if I had done that & taken some notes on the essential bindings needed.

jomni

Yup F-15 is easy and I'm already mapped. Had some Red Flag missions under my belt too.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 20, 2016, 09:48:03 PM
Yup F-15 is easy and I'm already mapped. Had some Red Flag missions under my belt too.

Easy to learn, anyway.  I still get killed in it regularly, by enemy players.  Occasionally a nasty SAM concentration. 

I usually try to play on Open Conflict server, since it has both PvP and PvE of all kinds.  Fighters & bombers & helos, all.   No historical situation, but it keeps things relatively equal on both sides.  But it's not always up or, during the evening, packed to the player limit.  So others like 104th Phoenix (pure PvP air IIRC), 16th AGR (base capture, no AIM120 or R27ER - basically late 80s weapons), and some others are enjoyable substitutes.

Edit:  I usually drop into Asid's DOW server when I'm flying DCS online.  Tuna does too, when he's doin it (think he's playing His Majesty's new Light Cruisers in WoWS right now).  We play it loose and extremely casual.  ^-^

Just remember to make sure you're not committing friendly fire.  Don't shoot radar circles!  >:D

It'll happen... just the nature of learning different planes quickly.  I had 2 accidental player fratricides the other night, within an hour of each other, while still getting familiar with how the Su-27 changes radar/eo sensor when switching to Dogfight Modes.  Only the radar gives IFF info, and the thing automatically switches to EO (no IFF) in Vertical Scan or Helmet-Mounted Sight modes (for example).    Sucks when a friendly wanders right into your hairy 1v2 dogfight;  locking him and jamming that FIRE button because I'm positive it's the guy I'm in a knife fight with.  Surprise!  Welcome to the party, bro! :-\

jomni

Are the sides of the servers well defined or both sides can have F-15s for example?

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 20, 2016, 10:11:06 PM
Are the sides of the servers well defined or both sides can have F-15s for example?

Depends on the server mission they're running.

For example, Open Conflict has all types on both sides.  They're mirrored.  The only difference being the paint scheme. e.g. Red side has F-15s with Aggressor skins.

As another example the 16AGR server, with the more 80s-style weapon setup, has Soviet fighters on one side and NATO fighters on the other.  But it still has some platforms doing double duty if the category has slim options (attack helos?) or it was a type with a variety of export nations.

Many of them have all types available to both sides, so it is easier to keep the player numbers balanced while still being able to fly what you want.

Nefaro

Another Sale.

50% Off Weekend Sale on these modules:

Nevada Test and Training Range Map
    DCS: Combined Arms
    DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3
    DCS: L-39 Albatros
    DCS: P-51D Mustang

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/index.php?PAGEN_1=2

Of note:   

Flaming Cliffs 3 is only $20.

QuoteFC3 features the F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S, Su-25T, and Su-25

The F-15, Su-27, and some of the MiG-29 have had more recent updates.  It's a good package.  Plus, the saved keybinds are largely interchangeable between all those aircraft, with some small adjustments.  O0

You don't need to own LOMAC anymore, either.  It recently passed the 10 year mark of that oldie, so I guess whatever terms they had with Ubisoft must've ended then.  ;)

Nefaro

Good Su-25T tutorial series on YouTube.

The typical Flaming Cliffs keybinds are pretty much the same in the 25T.  But you'll want to watch all the weapon employment stuff to know how to use each.  They're easy to use, in this bird, but there are a few different types. 

The Su-25T is also reportedly the only current aircraft in DCS that can do dedicated SEAD missions.  :coolsmiley:

I'm sure there is a similar set on the A-10A (another FC3 plane), but it runs mostly "dumb" bombs/weapons.  Except the Maverick, where you use it's seeker head, via cockpit tv link to each, for lock and fire.  Easier way to get into some daylight A-10 action, before tackling the A-10C's targeting pod programming stuff.

jomni

Open Conflict. How do you if enemy if both sides have same equipment in BVR?

Tuna

I really haven't been on World of Warships since that first day.. DCS for bits and pieces and playing a CIV V game too.. I had already started watching those SU videos, they seem pretty good.. but I haven't gotten to the 'good' stuff yet.. Most of the basics is just like the f-15.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 21, 2016, 05:48:13 PM
Open Conflict. How do you if enemy if both sides have same equipment in BVR?

On the F-15, friendlies show as circles with a velocity vector line coming out of them,  AKA "tadpoles". 

Enemies are rectangles with the line. 

"We don't shoot circles!"  :))

On Russian radar contacts, which are displayed on the HUD in the MiG-29 and Su-27/33, a single line of dots is enemy.  While a friendly contact has a double row of lined dots.

Just remember that if your Radar is not ON, in these aircraft, the IFF will not check or differentiate between them. 

The F-15 will also show a big 'X' over a friendly plane's Lock Box symbology, in the HUD, when your radar is locked on.  Just be aware that you can still fire missiles while the target box is outside the HUD, so when in doubt bring your target into it for double checking.

But the Russkie planes don't do that and, to make it worse, they often change to the Optical sight, by default, when switched to a dogfight mode for <10nm auto-acquisition.  So you must remember to check the left of the Russkie HUD to make sure your radar is on (not just EO) AND you will still probably need to switch back to Regular Scan Mode to check his Radar symbol just to be sure.  It's a pain in the ass, and I've accidentally shot down a couple friendlies in the heat of the moment before, with these. 

Luckily the Su-27 has an AWACS data link display on the right side of the 'pit.  While I still don't think it shows a difference for a locked target, it is better because you can differentiate friendlies from enemies on non-locked contacts.  Friendlies are the circular "tadpole" and enemies have a triangular base on this screen.  When you have AWACS in the mission, anyway.

Hartford688

Quote from: Nefaro on October 21, 2016, 03:03:39 PM
Another Sale.

Of note:   

[

Thanks for this.

Does anyone know if when you buy FC3 direct from DCS you get a Steam key?

Just would rather keep the game in same place as most of my other games; lost games at Matrix due to their less user friendly setup. Would rather not add DCS as well.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Hartford688 on October 22, 2016, 02:50:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 21, 2016, 03:03:39 PM
Another Sale.

Of note:   

[

Thanks for this.

Does anyone know if when you buy FC3 direct from DCS you get a Steam key?

Just would rather keep the game in same place as most of my other games; lost games at Matrix due to their less user friendly setup. Would rather not add DCS as well.

When you hit the buy button and while in cart, it says "NOT FOR STEAM"

Hartford688

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 22, 2016, 03:06:57 AM

When you hit the buy button and while in cart, it says "NOT FOR STEAM"

D'oh!

Thank you. I'll pass then.