Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Quote from: Asid on May 08, 2016, 05:40:33 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 08, 2016, 03:47:57 PM
Maybe pedals are the thing I should be looking at...though that does put paid to me getting a TrackIR with Pro clip.

It felt a whole lot more natural too!
Pedals for helos make a big difference.

The pro clip for the TrackIR is not a requirement. The standard hat clip works just as well. The pro clip is flimsy and the cables are annoying.

Regards

Agree hat clip is fine.

Asid

My experience with the TrackIR 4

The pro clip is very flimsy
The wire is cumbersome.

I was going to modify the pro clip to make it wireless. Simple job but I did not do it. I switched to the hat-clip and it was easier to live with. Not perfect but easier.

The issue with accuracy can be improved by making sure the lighting in the room does not affect the sensor. Make sure the sensor does not face a window. Make sure a light bulb does not reflect off the sensor. Etc. Also setting the "priority" in task manager can improve the resolution of the tracking. There are buttons to "freeze" the position and to slow down the movement "accuracy".

One of the biggest helps is to take your time and set the proper curves for the game. This can take a bit of trial and error.

I have used the TrackIR for years in games like FSX. It is a great device and brings so much to the experience. For helos it is very effective.

Just my 2pence (hey I'm in the UK :p )

Regards
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jarhead0331

I agree with Asid in that the wire on the pro clip is a pain in the butt. Also most modern gaming headsets are too thick to accommodate the clip.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Ambient lighting in the room where my computer is can be strong and I thought I read the Pro clip helped with ambient lighting issues which is why I was looking at that. If that's the case, then it's what I have to go for - regardless of the wire.

I have had the hat clip and it was not great for me. I suppose I could get the Pro clip later if the 5 and hat clip aren't working out.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 09, 2016, 07:15:01 AM
I agree with Asid in that the wire on the pro clip is a pain in the butt. Also most modern gaming headsets are too thick to accommodate the clip.

I stand by my point in that you guys are doing yourselves a disservice here.
While the trackclip pro might be of a flimsy construction (it has gotten better with an update several years back) and it might be a pain to attach to a headset properly, those are all just minor issues.
I mean, come on guys, we can build our own pc's, but find a way to properly attach a piece of plastic to a headset is a problem? I don't buy that.

Fact is that it isn't expensive, the trackclip pro has IR emitters as opposed to just a simple reflector on the stock hat clip.
It's more accurate, less prone to interference from other light sources (because you can lower the TIR's light sensitivity). How would this not be better than an annoying hat clip which makes you wear a (warm) hat in the house all the time on top of having to wear an headset anyway.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

^ I use it...I just think its a bit inconvenient. That's all. It works great otherwise.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 09, 2016, 09:23:41 AM
^ I use it...I just think its a bit inconvenient. That's all. It works great otherwise.

Ah, misread you there then. Sorry. :)

All the 'let's put something on your head' is annoying IMO. That's why I have absolutely no interest in v2.0 of it -> VR. And it even makes me sick as opposed to using a TIR as well. No really! ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Quote from: Asid on May 09, 2016, 06:50:52 AM

The wire is cumbersome.

Curious, Asid, do you normally play with speakers instead of a headset?
I can very well understand the issue then.

I always use a headset though, so my wires are tied together effectively making it the one wire the headset already had anyway.

FYI I detest wireless headsets. ;) Battery trouble, Connection interference and added radiation are enough points to put me off.

magnus

I bought the steel Delan Clip. I think it was around $30 with the shipping from England.

I had loads of trouble with the standard programs for using it.

I then stumbled upon "Trackhats" website, they also sell clips etc..

The amazing thing about them, is that they allow you to download their trackhat program for $ 0.

It is pretty much plug and play, no more fiddling with all the curves etc..

JudgeDredd

TrackIR 5 with Pro clip is bought and being delivered this week.

Third time's a charm

Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

//shameless plug

You might find this profile to your liking. I also have a BMS version and both a quite popular according to the feedback I received. :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1369580&postcount=59

//shameless plug

JudgeDredd

I'll give it a try thank you.  O0

Obviously profiles are dependent on individuals setup, location, seat position etc, etc, but I'll give it a try.

I did watch a video today of setting up the TrackIR5 with Pro clip and it was that which swung the decision for me. It showed me things I had tweaked with but didn't fully understand when I had the 4.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

There is no harm in trying many different profiles. They're easily swapped.  O0

Asid

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 09, 2016, 09:53:50 AM
Curious, Asid, do you normally play with speakers instead of a headset?
I can very well understand the issue then.

I always use a headset though, so my wires are tied together effectively making it the one wire the headset already had anyway.

FYI I detest wireless headsets. ;) Battery trouble, Connection interference and added radiation are enough points to put me off.
Hi Yassy

I always play with speakers. However i usually have a headset on for MP. I think NaturalPoint could have done a lot better with the Pro clip. Profiles do make a huge difference.

Let us know how you get on JD.

Regards
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JudgeDredd

Ok - I got the TrackIR 5 and Pro clip. It's on ma heed right now.

I've set it up (used Yassy's too...thank you) and tweaked slightly. Everything in the software seems great. A reasonable head turn to get 90 degrees and pushing it for 180. Up and down are fine and zoom seem great.

However....(you knew it)...

In DCS, I'm hardly turning my head at all before I'm hitting 90 degrees and when I'm looking behind me (180 degrees), my head is at the position where (in the TrackIR software) I was at 90 degrees! Also, when I zoom in, I only get so far in the cockpit before it just stops dead. I can't zoom into the control panels like other people do in their videos.

So - it seems setup fine in the TrackIR software, but in game, not so. Should I be modifying something in game? Or go back to TrackIR?
Alba gu' brath