Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I don't have the time or patience to manage 3 concurrent DCS installs.  Wake me when they finalize something.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on November 30, 2015, 11:44:13 AM
Wake me when they finalize something.   ::)

Same.

The "alpha" designation convinces me to wait awhile longer.    But I hope those willing to test/break it will give it a good jostling & get it in order.  :)

JudgeDredd

Man - I have been round and round and round the houses trying to get the Nevada Terrain installed and I'm getting freakin' nowhere!

DCS World 2 is installed fine, but no terrain!!  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Its really annoying having three separate installs for DCS. I deleted the actual complete retail version, leaving only 1.5 beta and 2.0 alpha installed. The Nevada terrain requires two separate downloads, one 17GB and the other 24 GB. Its a beast, but it really looks great!

I was just flying an SU-25T around groom lake. Lots of fun!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I can't find a link to it...

The link in the Modules section on their e-Shop says I can only install it from the module manager - but it's not showing up in the download manager.

I have got my key - just can't find the download!

Found a link in a _download folder in DCS World 2 install folder so I'll see if that works.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 05, 2015, 06:04:05 PM
I can't find a link to it...

The link in the Modules section on their e-Shop says I can only install it from the module manager - but it's not showing up in the download manager.

I have got my key - just can't find the download!

Found a link in a _download folder in DCS World 2 install folder so I'll see if that works.

You download it from within the module manager in game. There is a separate tab for terrains.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Thanks JH but it wasn't showing up in the terrain tab. That was empty
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Got it installed. Used a torrent link from the DCS forums.

It looks stunning - though it runs like a dog on my system. In cockpit it's superb - it stutters a bit going over Las Vegas but going down to ground level anywhere near buildings drops me to sub 10fps.

Going external saw significant stutters.

I did have everything maxed up so I'll be turning a few options down.

There's also a horrible blur effect that I can't seem to shake. I thought it was HDR - but I didn't see that making any difference when I changed the setting of that. It could be heat haze actually which I have on it's max setting - but I wanted that for the haze when looking outside at the engines (I'm such a tart!). If it is that though, I'll be turning it off because I hate the blur effect on the landscape (and no - it was nothing to do with speed).

Looked great though - but I've got to find a decent set of settings to run it.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I'll have to try and see what option it is that's making the scenery blurry. It's horrible.

It seems to have been introduced in 1.5 because I loaded that and it's the same  BUT it's not in 1.2

Video below of what it looks like
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

These are the settings available for 1.2, 1.5 and 2.0

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Messing around with the settings, I think it was depth of field. Turned that off and it looked much crisper. Also - it's not an option on 1.2.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

is the lower Grand Canyon (till Grand Canyon Village for example) in the map?   

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Looks like a Haze effect.  Probably built in to one of the preset dropdowns, like "Scenes".  Which is unfortunate because it would also be grouped in with other effects you likely want to keep.

Maybe they'll provide it's own adjustment sometime?

Depth of Field setting is just the blurriness of very distant 3D terrain & such.  Shouldn't affect closer view.

JudgeDredd

It was terrain that was appearing blurry - along with the aircraft when F3 (flyby)...so it was depth of view. Turned it off and (thank god) it's gone. Not a good look imo.
Alba gu' brath