Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

DCS has a great base, but in the end it feel like Endless Space to me... just no soul to the game.  On the other hand, Falcon BMS is just the opposite, I can play A/A or A/G in different theaters... there is active land and air battles going on.... lines move back and forth and if I fail at my SEAD job it can seriously effect the mission overall.  All of that is lost in DCS where it is just a large practice range.  The A-10 is fun to fly, but in the end it is a king fish in a dry pound.

PE

Skoop

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 17, 2014, 11:08:08 AM
My only issue with DCS other than not fully optimized, is that the lack of any Dynamic Campaign.  I love flying the A-10, however it is limited by the number of missions I have for it.  Sure, you can quick build a mission, but there is no campaign or greater sense of fighting in a struggle, just target practice.

PE
There's some pretty immersive MP missions out there for Dcs.  I've played some pretty good living battlefield scenarios that work off dynamic triggers that are a blast.  For Dcs to move forward we need the edge optimization so the missions I mentioned don't bog down from all the units on the map.  It's same story with Dcs so much potential if it's ever finished.  If we ever get the f18 and an apache, I probably would not play anything else for years.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 17, 2014, 07:11:40 AM
Right. Like I said, one day until the Fishbed. The 18th is tomorrow.
Got you. I thought you meant "One day" as in one day it will come...
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 17, 2014, 12:58:17 PM
DCS has a great base, but in the end it feel like Endless Space to me... just no soul to the game.  On the other hand, Falcon BMS is just the opposite, I can play A/A or A/G in different theaters... there is active land and air battles going on.... lines move back and forth and if I fail at my SEAD job it can seriously effect the mission overall.  All of that is lost in DCS where it is just a large practice range.  The A-10 is fun to fly, but in the end it is a king fish in a dry pound.

PE
I wish to god I could've got Falcon 4 Allied Force to work. I agree it was very immersive - much more so I think than DCS is, but it just refused to work on my system. I had graphics tearing everywhere. I tried various fixes suggested but none ever worked.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 17, 2014, 01:35:08 PM

LoL! Nope...now its like in half a day!!!!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 17, 2014, 03:03:19 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 17, 2014, 01:35:08 PM

LoL! Nope...now its like in half a day!!!!
I'm off tomorrow  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Got a newsletter with this...

DCS: MiG-21bis by Leatherneck Simulations is Now Available for Download  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

My only issue with DCS other than not fully optimized, is that the lack of any Dynamic Campaign.  I love flying the A-10, however it is limited by the number of missions I have for it.  Sure, you can quick build a mission, but there is no campaign or greater sense of fighting in a struggle, just target practice.

PE

The Quick Missions are also rather lifeless and too fabricated.   I shook my head when I first saw huge lines of enemy tanks advancing in perfect lines & rows across the map on a randomly created mission.  I expect some oddities with any randomly generated setting, but the sight was disappointing.  The poor video optimization of the terrain became rather annoying after awhile too. 

DCS' environment feels like a demo for something that could be so much better.

Slick Wilhelm

I watched a few videos on Youtube for UH-1 Huey, so I think I'm going to pick that title up. I want to learn how to fly a chopper!

JudgeDredd

Good luck with that Slick...that is one hard bastage to fly!
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 18, 2014, 04:13:09 AM

Flying that thing reminds me of my 15 month old trying to walk. She is on her feet and moving, but is totally out of control. Making it to the other side of the room in one piece is truly a miracle. You know what they say...baby steps.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

You could always get Black Shark 2 and blow stuff up as an added bonus.  ;)

Then you'd have to get used to the weird Russkie trim system that's always on by default instead of being a simple on/off toggle.  :idiot2:

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2014, 05:57:43 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 18, 2014, 04:13:09 AM

Flying that thing reminds me of my 15 month old trying to walk. She is on her feet and moving, but is totally out of control. Making it to the other side of the room in one piece is truly a miracle. You know what they say...baby steps.
lol - superb analogy!  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on September 17, 2014, 05:08:26 PM

PE

The Quick Missions are also rather lifeless and too fabricated.   I shook my head when I first saw huge lines of enemy tanks advancing in perfect lines & rows across the map on a randomly created mission.  I expect some oddities with any randomly generated setting, but the sight was disappointing.  The poor video optimization of the terrain became rather annoying after awhile too. 

The mission editor works well, I find.  I have some elderly scenarios full of missiles and tanks that I use as background to intercepting some SEADs on both sides.  The F4E has a pretty easy time shooting down the F86F, but the MIG21bis can get some hits on the F4s occasionally.
I haven't tried shooting down the F86F with the MIG21 (which did happen in 1972 when an Indian Mig shot down a Pakistani F86).

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 24, 2014, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 17, 2014, 05:08:26 PM

PE

The mission editor works well, I find.  I have some elderly scenarios full of missiles and tanks that I use as background to intercepting some SEADs on both sides.  The F4E has a pretty easy time shooting down the F86F, but the MIG21bis can get some hits on the F4s occasionally.
I haven't tried shooting down the F86F with the MIG21 (which did happen in 1972 when an Indian Mig shot down a Pakistani F86).

Having now flown the DCS Mig21bis, I have to say I'm very impressed with anyone who ever shot down anything with this aircraft, much less a small fighter like the F86.  I'd rather fight F4s than those early jets at this point.  I have shot down some AI helicopters with the 23mm gun, but the missiles are not easy for me.  On the other hand I have avoided being shot down by AI Helicopters, F4s, f86 and Mig15s.  AI Phantoms have gotten me twice.  It's a big boom when the AIM7 hits.  BUT I know how to drop chaff and flares and fire missiles and sooner or later I'll hit another AI jet fighter with the appropriate ordinance.