Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

I got a little excited about DCS when I saw some of those videos.  I downloaded World and tried it out.  I am getting 10 fps even with every option set to lowest in the training missions.  I get 30-40 in Rise of Flight and BOS.  I don't think DCS looks that much better than RoF or BoS.  Am I missing something?

Asid

Quote from: RyanE on September 12, 2014, 06:01:25 AM
I got a little excited about DCS when I saw some of those videos.  I downloaded World and tried it out.  I am getting 10 fps even with every option set to lowest in the training missions.  I get 30-40 in Rise of Flight and BOS.  I don't think DCS looks that much better than RoF or BoS.  Am I missing something?

I agree with the above. Even FSX with addons (orbx) works a lot better  :o
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

PanzersEast

A couple of notes about DCS... the engine is not optimized and can run poorly, even on a high end machine like mine so some tweaking is needed.... but yea, it is unexpected for something that looks just ok.  For Air to Air it is not a great sim presently, however the Close Air support aspect of it is very well done and why I only fly the SU-25 and A-10.  Currently Falcon BMS is still my go to game, but with CAS I have been leaning back to DCS.

PE

MengJiao

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 12, 2014, 09:01:41 AM

A couple of notes about DCS... the engine is not optimized and can run poorly, even on a high end machine like mine so some tweaking is needed.... but yea, it is unexpected for something that looks just ok.  For Air to Air it is not a great sim presently, however the Close Air support aspect of it is very well done and why I only fly the SU-25 and A-10.  Currently Falcon BMS is still my go to game, but with CAS I have been leaning back to DCS.

PE

DCS is a mysterious thing.  Some parts of it are pretty neat and other things are just plain puzzling.  I started getting into it because I wanted to see the MiG21bis, but there were other fun moments.  I think a jet simulator along the lines of RoF/BoS would be fantastic, but for the moment (or the next few decades?) DCS is the jet simulator I use, though these days I just play in BoS.

And the MIG21bis is about to arrive (and the trailer is hilariously excessive):

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4008824/1

RyanE

How are the graphics of BMS compared to DCS.  I used to think Falcon looked really poor down low.

Toonces

I don't think any reasonable person could conclude the terrain graphics in Falcon are better than the graphics in DCS.

Having said that, contributors have really come a long way to improve the Falcon graphics.  They're not great by modern standards, but they are better.

Ideally you're too busy to notice the poor graphics!

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

70% off Flaming Cliffs 3 and UH-1H Huey on Steam today.

RyanE

That really tempts me, but I see no point getting it when it runs so poorly on my machine.  I have a couple games like that.  I really want to like them, but performance sucks.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I don't know if you saw my post - Fishbed is up for pre-order and is available from the 18th September as a full release

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11219.0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Right. Like I said, one day until the Fishbed. The 18th is tomorrow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 17, 2014, 02:19:32 AM
70% off Flaming Cliffs 3 and UH-1H Huey on Steam today.

I don't regret buying FC3.  You get quite a few aircraft, some with improved cockpit and TrackIR support over FC2.  Along with DCS World integration.

It was more palatable because I don't need the extra functional cockpit button-pushing to enjoy simming.  Especially don't wanna spend the extra time on that when the environment is so dull.

PanzersEast

My only issue with DCS other than not fully optimized, is that the lack of any Dynamic Campaign.  I love flying the A-10, however it is limited by the number of missions I have for it.  Sure, you can quick build a mission, but there is no campaign or greater sense of fighting in a struggle, just target practice.

PE

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 17, 2014, 11:08:08 AM
My only issue with DCS other than not fully optimized, is that the lack of any Dynamic Campaign.  I love flying the A-10, however it is limited by the number of missions I have for it.  Sure, you can quick build a mission, but there is no campaign or greater sense of fighting in a struggle, just target practice.

PE

Not only that, but the game is also hurt by a blatant lack of theaters in which to operate in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Do any of these flight sims offer a chance to fly a true attack aircraft like an F-111 or a bomber like a B-1B? I used to have a sim of the latter for my C-64. I loved flying nuclear attacks on the Commies...*sigh*....things were so much simpler back then. 'Murica=good...Pinko commies=bad
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson