WitP:AE and or WitE PBEM

Started by OJsDad, April 13, 2017, 09:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 13, 2017, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on April 13, 2017, 10:48:48 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 13, 2017, 10:00:43 AM
I'm up for WITP:AE for a smaller scenario.

Sounds good SDR.  Do you want to set one up to start the middle of next week sometime.  It's going to be a busy weekend.

I'm good (or not god) for any time.  My schedule's pretty erratic, work wise.

Mine is too.  I'll PM you next week. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tuna

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 13, 2017, 11:21:03 AM
Quote from: Tuna on April 13, 2017, 11:13:54 AM

Hey!!!

I can do two!

I'm just kidding, I was really surprised when you surrendered before, because you were laying a beating on me.

Con

I have never played either as PBEM but I would be good fora WitE scenario (not the grand campaign). I can usually commit to a turn every night or two. Would love to do pbem suncr currently I keep trying to determine how to get the Germans across the Volga by turn three and it's making me OCD

Con

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Tuna on April 13, 2017, 11:49:22 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 13, 2017, 11:21:03 AM
Quote from: Tuna on April 13, 2017, 11:13:54 AM

Hey!!!

I can do two!

I'm just kidding, I was really surprised when you surrendered before, because you were laying a beating on me.

The naval battles were going in my favour but the land battle along the Kokoda track definitely wasn't.  Trying to learn the transport and amphib landings stuff just wasn't working.  I need to sit down and fiddle with it in a single player save/load setting until I get the hang of it, I think.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have a buddy here locally who'd like to get in on a PBEM game of WITP as well if anyone needs an opponent.

ArizonaTank

I managed to play about half a year of game time in WitP:AE PBEM a few years back and had a blast.  Took about a year.  A turn every day or every other day.  I got pretty good at turning them around quickly. 

I highly recommend it.  You might want to go with the three day turns.  Also sometimes its hard to find another player who will really stick with it, and who is at your skill level. 

I found that for me, playing a long game with a human opponent, really drove home the logistics nature, and vast distances of the Pacific War.  Truly, the best logistician wins.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 14, 2017, 09:42:07 AM
I managed to play about half a year of game time in WitP:AE PBEM a few years back and had a blast.  Took about a year.  A turn every day or every other day.  I got pretty good at turning them around quickly. 

I highly recommend it.  You might want to go with the three day turns.  Also sometimes its hard to find another player who will really stick with it, and who is at your skill level. 

I found that for me, playing a long game with a human opponent, really drove home the logistics nature, and vast distances of the Pacific War.  Truly, the best logistician wins.

I've only ever played it solo against the AI where the 3 day turn (which is optional) is really nothing more than 3 consecutively run 1 day turns...I never saw the purpose behind it? Is it the same in PBEM?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rayfer on April 14, 2017, 09:22:25 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 14, 2017, 09:42:07 AM

Yes the same.  The only purpose is you don't have to play as many turns to move down the calendar.  10 turns a month instead of 30.  The one day turns give you better fidelity, but games can take forever to complete.
I've only ever played it solo against the AI where the 3 day turn (which is optional) is really nothing more than 3 consecutively run 1 day turns...I never saw the purpose behind it? Is it the same in PBEM?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.