Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

So no impressions so far?

150$ is a lot for a SP game (I've only spent similar and more amounts on MMORPGs).

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was going to say you're nuts but then I remembered that I dropped $100 on alpha access to IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and I don't play it much at all so instead I say we should form a support group with electroshock therapy.  We can even get a hunch for Gus.

Gusington

A hunch?

295.00 is a lot of dough. That better be one big sprawling universe lined with aromatic vaginas.

Or similar.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

What would be interesting to hear is how they are different (similar) to Eve online?

Con
PS I am tempted but it does seem to steep plus all the other games I have going right now...just couldnt justify the price to playing time

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on April 11, 2014, 04:39:07 PM
A hunch?

295.00 is a lot of dough. That better be one big sprawling universe lined with aromatic vaginas.

Or similar.

Sure.  All quality asylums need a hunchback in a lab coat.  It's simply de rigueur

Nefaro

It looks pretty amazing, from the gameplay video I watched a few days ago.  The atmosphere is, anyway.  The sounds, motion, etc looked pretty awesome.  Hopefully the rest of the content will be similarly immersive when it's finished.

I recall playing the original oh so long ago but I don't remember having the manual.  If I did, it must've been pretty confusing or not much help because most of my memories were long stretches of figuring out how to play the thing as I went.  Only partially succeeding at a slow pace.

mikeck

Ide be pretty upset if I dumped $250 on the alpha last week only to find that it's now down to $100

Anyway, is this MMO or is there a single player sandbox?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

I hope it is a lot more playable and enjoyable then the $100+ I put into World in Flames.....although cost a factor for me, if it is playable and fun, then certainly can be worth it.

Jarhead0331

Well, it's been a real rough go getting it to run properly on my main PC. There is something it just doesn't like. Installed it on my back-up machine which is an inferior system and it runs perfect. The main difference in the two systems is the back-up PC is windows 7 with an ATI Radeon 5700 series and the main pc is windows 8 with a GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

I spent so much time struggling with it I didn't play too much on my back up rig before turning in to bed. What I saw did seem extremely impressive though. The ship and space "feel" right.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2014, 10:43:42 PM
Well, it's been a real rough go getting it to run properly on my main PC. There is something it just doesn't like. Installed it on my back-up machine which is an inferior system and it runs perfect. The main difference in the two systems is the back-up PC is windows 7 with an ATI Radeon 5700 series and the main pc is windows 8 with a GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

I spent so much time struggling with it I didn't play too much on my back up rig before turning in to bed. What I saw did seem extremely impressive though. The ship and space "feel" right.

Problem solved. That was a real bugger. Oh well...will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to play so I can post some impressions.  However, from what I have seen so far...I'm impressed. $150 impressed, dunno really, but the physics put any other space game before it to shame.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Con

$150 bucks can buy a lot of baby shoes....those buggers can be expensive.  If I dropped that amount of dough on a game it would have to come from my weasel stash of cash so I wouldn't have to have the talk with the wife on why the twins need new summer shoes but will have to wait while I fire up my new space sim :>

Con

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2014, 11:20:41 PM

Problem solved. That was a real bugger. Oh well...will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to play so I can post some impressions.  However, from what I have seen so far...I'm impressed. $150 impressed, dunno really, but the physics put any other space game before it to shame.

What do you mean by the physics put other games to shame? Are they Newtonian? Similar to evochron?  Does the ship "feel heavy"?  also, is the full single player game in yet with trading and such or is it just combat?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2014, 03:42:28 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on April 11, 2014, 03:34:07 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 11, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Hmm, I wonder if that means you are the current leader here on who spent the most money on a single PC game. We really should track that kind of stuff.  ;D

I spent 199 euro's for a Collector's Edition last year... In dollars that would be 276 dollars at the current rate.  :-X ::)

Wait a second...you HAVE it and haven't even made a peep over here!?!? Start talking, dude...I'm very disappointed in you.

Haha don't worry! It was a different game. You are the King of Elite!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 11, 2014, 11:40:49 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2014, 11:20:41 PM

What do you mean by the physics put other games to shame? Are they Newtonian? Similar to evochron?  Does the ship "feel heavy"?  also, is the full single player game in yet with trading and such or is it just combat?

It has a flight assistant that can be shut off so you can utilize Newtonian physics.  The ship feels real as it moves and the first mission has you in the middle of an asteroid field. The asteroids look heavy as you weave through them and the lighting and shadows are spectacular.

Presently the alpha that was provided to premium backers  contains single player combat based missions only. He beta goes active in May which will add multiplayer and trade, I believe.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Wonder what the price will be when it goes Beta.