Outlaws of the Old West - MMORPG

Started by ArizonaTank, March 22, 2019, 12:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

My trigger finger is starting to twitch...

Anyone tried Outlaws of the Old West?  Thoughts?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/840800/Outlaws_of_the_Old_West/
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

Been keeping an eye on it, just not enough content for me at this point. I'd probably play mostly SP, so i'm not totally convinced yet. The building and crafting looks pretty well fleshed out, but i'm hoping for towns and stuff, maybe hostile natives. I almost pulled the trigger when it was on sale for $14 just a few days ago but held off. I'm a sucker for western themed stuff, just kind of waiting to see if it will be mostly MP over SP. There's a few EA survival games i'm keeping my eye but i still have a lot of play left in Emperion, Myst Survival and Subsistance. I'm keeping an eye on Green Hell, Survisland, and a couple that aren't strictly survival Heathen: Sons of the law and Generation Zero.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

Oh, please sweet baby raptor jesus, no more "Survival" multi-player RPGs!   :hide:

When I saw "Old West MMORPG" my interest was piqued.  In my pants.   Then I saw the dreaded survival tag, and screenshots of a player repeatedly swinging a hammer at a board.   

No more labor simulators!   :pullhair:

-budd-

bbmike

I don't mind 'survival'. It's the MMORPG part I have a problem with.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

ArizonaTank

I couldn't resist... I decided to try it out.

The game has a single player mode, and I am not a big MMO guy, so I decided to go that route.

The gameplay reminds me of ARK. You start out in your underwear in a really wonderful landscape. I was killed a few times early on by marauding bandits and a bear. But once I learned to run away from everything...I managed to progress.

It is grindy, after eight hours of gameplay however, I managed to be fully clothed, have plenty of food, have built a nice cabin, be armed with a Sharp's rifle and six shooter, and have a horse. 

During that time, I had to fend off occasional wild animal attacks, and three or four bandits.

One really nice thing, is that you can see really far away... I can use my Sharp's to pick off a bandit at a quarter mile. You can also go to high ground, pull out binoculars, and search for resources at great distance.

Combat with the "game environment" is not frantic. You do have to keep an eye out, but it isn't like 7 Days to die where you fend off a zombie attack every 2 or 3 minutes.

Up to this point, the game has been fun. Crafting, base building, hunting buffalo, the occasional adrenalin rush from taking out a bad guy.

But now I am at a plateau...gameplay wise... I ride around, I can defend myself, I have crafted pretty much everything I want... But now I need some purpose. I don't know if there is a town anywhere, and I have not run into NPCs. The landscape is so huge, that maybe all this stuff is there and I just need to run into it. Or maybe I just have to set the game aside while that stuff is put in.

It seems from the youtube vids that the big attraction is the MMO part. And that part of the gameplay revolves around the players establishing a functioning town. That is a great idea at first. But I have been around MMOs too long. Eventually the juveniles show up. No, I'd rather have a town built for me...with shops...NPCs...quests...  Maybe an Army fort...  A cattle ranch or two....

If you liked ARK, or even the less stressful aspects of 7 Days, the single player version of OOTOW has at least eight good hours of gameplay in it.

Is there more? 

I don't know...   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

-budd-

Yea kind of looks like the plataeu would come quick. We'll see if they embrace the SP mode, otherwise it will be limited. AT you look at Mist Survival? Or it might be Myst, not sure. I jumped in early on that one, maybe too early but it has possibilities. The map needs expanding.

Rayfer

Quote from: -budd- on March 25, 2019, 11:56:11 AM
Yea kind of looks like the plataeu would come quick. We'll see if they embrace the SP mode, otherwise it will be limited. AT you look at Mist Survival? Or it might be Myst, not sure. I jumped in early on that one, maybe too early but it has possibilities. The map needs expanding.

Is that Myst, as in the old point-and-click adventure game Myst?

al_infierno

Is this another Ark spinoff?  These days I'm not sure as there was that recent pirates-themed Ark spinoff that they tried to pass off as being a new project by a new company, and not a spinoff of the same crappy unfinished survival game...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on March 25, 2019, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: -budd- on March 25, 2019, 11:56:11 AM

Is that Myst, as in the old point-and-click adventure game Myst?

Naw, not the old Myst point and click. It is Mist with an "I"  just couldn't remember   https://store.steampowered.com/app/914620/Mist_Survival/

-budd-

Quote from: al_infierno on March 25, 2019, 03:45:38 PM
Is this another Ark spinoff?  These days I'm not sure as there was that recent pirates-themed Ark spinoff that they tried to pass off as being a new project by a new company, and not a spinoff of the same crappy unfinished survival game...

From what i read on the forums, the dev's of Outlaws of the old West did some work on Ark, some dino's the forums says, but there aren't associated with it anymore....according to the steam forums. The Dev's of Outlaws is also listed as a dev for another EA game Citadel: Forged in Fire, wonder how that will work out.