Weird night...

Started by SirAndrewD, January 13, 2019, 01:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

So sorry for your loss SirAndrew. The days ahead will be hard and stressful for you and your family but the way to defeat this tragedy is not let it remain a tragedy. Find the strength and courage to do something, even if it's a very small thing, somewhere to make the world BETTER because of it, despite the pain. People around you will take note and be themselves encouraged and thus stronger because of it. If some small gain comes because of it then your loss will not have been meaningless.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

Sorry to hear about your loss SirAndrew.

My father was a life long smoker and also developed COPD and lost his battle with both a couple years ago. He was 74 but his quality of life started to decline in his early 60's.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Please accept my condolences on your loss.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

SirAndrewD

Thanks guys. 

It looks like we'll have to arrange for my Dad's wife and her family to have one funeral, and my Dad's family and my extended family to have our own. 

I really wish I didn't have to deal with the first things his wife told me on the phone call this morning being "You're paying for this right?"

After all the pressure gets off of me from family members, I might have a moment to grieve. 

Thanks for your support though.  Grogs stay united. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 06, 2019, 03:27:21 PM
"You're paying for this right?"

Oh man.  Dealt with this issue (both the passing of my Father and his twat wife pawning his funeral off on me and my Aunt) myself this past Christmas.

So, so very sorry as this sort of thing is the veritable icing on the shit-cake that is dealing with unexpected deaths and none-too-friendly families.

>:(

em2nought

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 06, 2019, 10:59:57 AM
Well, my Dad died this morning in his sleep. 

Thanks to everyone that offered support.  Going to have to try to take the next step now.  His wife isn't making it easy on me.

I'm sorry for your loss.  We lost my brother just that quickly to testicular cancer way back.  My dad died in his sleep the next decade.  My mom still sleeps in the same bed, and I hope one day that's the same peaceful way she goes too.  My sister and niece visited mom recently.  Mom told me she thinks they didn't think they'll ever see her again because they hugged her so tight saying goodbye.  I'm sorry your dad's wife is making it hard on you, I worry that my "other" sister will do the same to me someday.  If it's any consolation you're not alone in the boat.
Stolen elections have consequences.

RommelFox

Thanks guys. 

It looks like we'll have to arrange for my Dad's wife and her family to have one funeral, and my Dad's family and my extended family to have our own. 

I really wish I didn't have to deal with the first things his wife told me on the phone call this morning being "You're paying for this right?"

After all the pressure gets off of me from family members, I might have a moment to grieve. 

Thanks for your support though.  Grogs stay united.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, and I'm also sorry to hear about his wife.  There's always a troublemaker in every family.

Hang in there, and you'll get through it.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

bbmike

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on February 06, 2019, 04:04:59 PM
"You're paying for this right?"

Oh man.  Dealt with this issue (both the passing of my Father and his twat wife pawning his funeral off on me and my Aunt) myself this past Christmas.

So, so very sorry as this sort of thing is the veritable icing on the shit-cake that is dealing with unexpected deaths and none-too-friendly families.

>:(

My condolences to you too, Dammit Carl!. That sucks.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

besilarius

So very sorry to hear about this personal loss.  Hang in there.  We're always her if you need to vent, or would like support.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Toonces

Damn, man, that sucks all around.  Hang in there, bro.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

My deepest sympathies SirAndrewD. As well to those that you hold dear who also mourn.

I hope you get through this funeral experience and out the other side as soon as possible. Afterwards you can leave that 'wife' of his far back in your rear view mirror and peaceably grieve your father's passing at your own pace and in your own way.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

You could always tell the 'Wife', "I'll pay if you go with him". JUST KIDDING. I predict that she will probably want as much control of the arraignments as possible in which case you can tell her, politely, "If I'm paying, then it goes my way". The more say so she wants, the more financial responsibility she has. But don't let her be an example for the rest of your family. You guys do what you all think your Father would really want so that afterward like you say, you can grieve and then put this behind you. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2019, 11:06:02 AM
You could always tell the 'Wife', "I'll pay if you go with him". JUST KIDDING. I predict that she will probably want as much control of the arraignments as possible in which case you can tell her, politely, "If I'm paying, then it goes my way". The more say so she wants, the more financial responsibility she has. But don't let her be an example for the rest of your family. You guys do what you all think your Father would really want so that afterward like you say, you can grieve and then put this behind you. My 2 cents.

Sadly, our interactions with her ceased to be rational.  When my wife called her today she essentially kept her voice at a scream and informed us that we weren't invited to anything that she's going to arrange on her own because we're "ungrateful" and "Worthless" and a myriad of other pretty rough things. 

I guess with the leash requiring her to be polite to me and my wife that existed when my Dad was alive has expired.   I always had an inkling that she didn't like us because of his connection to my late mother, I just never imagined it was this dark. 

So, yeah, things are being made harder than it should be.  It's sadly not what my Dad would've wanted, but I get a sneaky suspicion that a few of his late in life conversations with me he was sideways warning me this might happen.  He knew who he was married to.

It's pretty much as you say, it looks like she can do her own thing, and then my family will do mine.  When she drove my wife to tears she pretty much ended any sympathy or desire to provide her with any sharing of the finances.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bayonetbrant

So sorry to hear about your father, and it sounds like his wife is a real piece of work that's going to just make this even harder.

Prayers sent, and hoping there can be some sort of resolution
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers