Weird night...

Started by SirAndrewD, January 13, 2019, 01:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

So sorry to hear the news, SirD. I lost my mom to pancreatic cancer while she was fairly young, it's a harsh thing. Peace and love, brother.

Gusington

Keeping you and your family in mind, D.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Thanks for letting me vent on here last night guys. 

It's lung cancer, don't know how far or how bad. 

Caught it early, but due to age can't be a great prognosis. 

We'll just have to hope and see. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DoctorQuest

Very bad news. I have been there.

You know you have friends here. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on January 13, 2019, 11:40:45 AM
Sorry to hear that, SirAndrewD.

Not sure what to say about the whole Facebook thing.  That seems like a hell of a way to break what is sure to be traumatizing news.

Learning that way was really rough.  My Dad's wife isn't known for her tact. 

To be fair to her, he was hiding it from me.  He'd been in the hospital for five days and wouldn't let me know.  He didn't want to tell me because he, firstly, didn't want me to go through it again, and secondly he doesn't have a lot of answers yet.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

I am so sorry to hear about your Father SirAndrew. And what an awful way to learn about it too. People often have a really hard time talking about death and especially to family about it. It could be your father
is angry, depressed, and or in denial about the issue and doesn't want to project that onto you. I remember Fate dictated that I be the one to tell my brother and sister that my Mother, and later my Father too, had died as well as being the one to tell my brother our father had terminal cancer and there's no easy way to handle it. In part you don't know what to say to someone nor how to say it and often they really don't want to hear it. Give your Dad some time to come to grip with the issue and maybe he'll be more forthcoming about it with you.

I remember NEVER being more proud of my Father when the doctor told him he had cancer and he responded with his trademark stoic strength, humor and fearless attitude-- a real example for us all, it helped keep the family together during the trying days ahead.

My thoughts and prayers are for you and your family in the days ahead.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Sorry to hear Andrew.

I can understand the way finding this type of information sucks but for the sake of whatever relationships you have with your father and his wife feel free to vent here vs blowing up at them.

Good luck to you and your family for the coming fight.
Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

Thanks for the thoughts guys. 

No really good new info.  Doctors sent Dad home today, told him he needed to work on his strength. 

No real info from them on extent, severity or prognosis.  They want him stronger for chemo, but they will only commit to saying there were "cancerous cells" detected".  No indication on how severe it is, but Dad has trouble breathing. 

He quit smoking at 58, got COPD in his early 70's, so it looks like it may have caught up with him.

A testament to the kind of man he is, his greatest horror is bringing me up in a house where my Mom and Dad smoked regularly, and that me, as a lifetime non-smoker might pay for that with them both having the same thing.

Sir Slash

My Dad also smoked all his life, more so after he retired, as well as working as a Roofer in his young days, and with asbestos to boot.  :hide:  Kind of a recipe of how to get cancer. BTW, I'm also a 'Cancer Survivor' myself. About 2 years ago I went in for blood work at Quest and the place on my right arm where she drew blood didn't heal totally. After about 6 months I asked my doctor, "Shouldn't this be better by now Doc"? He sent me to the Skin Doctor and sure enough, Basil Cell Carcenoma which they promptly removed. Guys, seriously, anything that looks weird or doesn't go away... HAVE IT CHECKED-OUT. Now twice a year I get to go down and take my clothes off in front of some young girls and watch them make faces at how I look naked. What's the point of being old if you can't aggravate young people?  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Well, my Dad died this morning in his sleep. 

Thanks to everyone that offered support.  Going to have to try to take the next step now.  His wife isn't making it easy on me. 

Barthheart

Sorry for your loss Sir AndrewD. Losing a parent is always hard.
:(

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 06, 2019, 10:59:57 AM
Well, my Dad died this morning in his sleep. 

Thanks to everyone that offered support.  Going to have to try to take the next step now.  His wife isn't making it easy on me.

Damn it. Sorry to hear that SirAndrewD. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Send me a PM if there is anything I can help you with.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

Sorry for the news, brother. Best of wishes for you and your family.

bbmike

Sorry to hear that, SirAndrewD. My thoughts are with you.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!