Hurricane Michael

Started by airboy, October 10, 2018, 07:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This one got big very late.  Hammered the air force base and Panama City.  I have a couple of fishing buddies with condos at Panama City.

Unlike Florence, Michael is racing inland at a fast pace.  It started raining in Auburn before 8:00am and we are scheduled to be out of the rain before Noon tomorrow.  Unusual for such a large storm.

Sir Slash

Very much like Hurricane Charlie here in 2004, about a 4-5 hour event which was a good thing as if he had been moving more slowly, damage would've been much worse.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

The footage I've seen today looked really, really bad.  I hope it's mostly hype.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

it isnt.
the landfall area got flooded deep and nuked from orbit.
the footage Ive seen is almost as bad as Mirths love life.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

the only thing good about that hurricane is that its moving fast and keeping the weather channel tight shirt pec-fest to a minimum.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Long day of Hurricane Michael dropping mildly annoying rain.

Almost Zero impact here.

Lots of nice refugees at my trip to the grocery today, all fleeing from FL.

Good luck to everyone south east of here.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Lot of refugees in Auburn.  But there is a home football game on Saturday so most will probably leave on Friday.

Power outages seem to be in a pretty concentrated area.  I hope they can get the lights back on quickly.

I go deep sea fishing out of Panama City.  I hope the marina survived.

Sir Slash

Even if the marina didn't survive, the good news is the Deep Sea part is much closer now. I'm sure there will be fatalities from this monster, hopefully very few. But I think there were way too many people who stayed behind for this to be likely.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

em2nought

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 11, 2018, 10:13:26 AM
I'm sure there will be fatalities from this monster, hopefully very few. But I think there were way too many people who stayed behind for this to be likely.

So far I've heard the mention of there being only six which would be amazingly lucky given the photos of the devastation being aired.
Stolen elections have consequences.

bayonetbrant

We actually got heavier rainfall and waaaaaay worse wind from this one than from Florence. 
It also only last about 6 hours vs 2-1/2 days.

Schools were closed yesterday so they didn't have busses on the road right when the worst of the storm was coming in, which was a good call since we hit 50mph wind gusts right at the time the elementary schools would've been releasing.

Schools are also closed today, as there's at least a dozen of them that still didn't have power at 11pm last night b/c of downed trees all over the area, including our son's high school.

No fatalities reported in our area, but a LOT of damage from trees down everywhere and a lot of power lines tangled in those trees, which means they have to coordinate city public services w/ the electric company to clean those up.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 12, 2018, 06:43:05 AM
We actually got heavier rainfall and waaaaaay worse wind from this one than from Florence. 

When we have a very heavy storm the wind reaches max 120 kmh.   I can't start to imagine what 240 kmh would be like.

Hopefully this was the last one of the season.

em2nought

I thought it was bad when New Orleans mayor left all those $chool buses to get trashed by Katrina, I guess the USAF brass felt they had to one up them by leaving $2 billion worth of F-22$ for Michael to trash.  L:-)
Stolen elections have consequences.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

https://www.thedailybeast.com/at-least-26-people-have-now-died-from-hurricane-michael?ref=home

At least 26 people are now confirmed to have died in the aftermath of Hurricane Michael.

Meanwhile, nearly 137,000 Florida customers remain without power, according to state emergency management officials.

Sir Slash

I feel for them. I had no power for 2 weeks after Charlie and a week and a half after Irma. The good news is you can sell anything with the word, 'Generator' on it for BIG bucks  :bd:   (just kidding, don't report me). It got so hot here after Irma without AC that I actually was peeing on fans for the relief.