Main Menu

Doctor Who.

Started by bob48, September 20, 2018, 05:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

New series begins on 7th October. Its going to be interesting to see how Jodie Whttaker plays the part.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

I am really looking forward to it.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

Yeah. I guess I'm the jerk that's been watching Doctor Who since 1982 and will not be watching anymore.  At all. 

Say goodnight to the bad guy. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

It isn't that I don't want to watch, but my confidence in the writers has dropped below my threshold to try.

If I hear that the writing has picked back up, I'll be glad to rejoice and catch up later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 23, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
It isn't that I don't want to watch, but my confidence in the writers has dropped below my threshold to try.

If I hear that the writing has picked back up, I'll be glad to rejoice and catch up later.

This has mostly been my problem. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bob48

The writing has generally been first class, so its going to be interesting to see what the new writer comes up with. This, plus a new Doctor / companions, is going to be a test for the who crew, especially when they are to replace a very successful combination of writers / actors.

Lets hope they come up with something refreshingly new but without compromising the spirit of the Dr Who story line.

I'll definitely give it a viewing.

'Clip those corners'

JasonPratt

Well, the writers have said that the new Doctor will replace the quirkiness of prior Doctors with "energy" and "spark". ...which the prior Doctors lacked. Apparently.

So...  ::) Good luck writers. You show those unenergetic and blah Doctors we had to put up with before.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bob48

And yet............Capaldi was arguably one of the best Doctors ever!

'Clip those corners'

JasonPratt

::) But how can I dare question the new writers?! -- he must have lacked "energy" and "spark" compared to their new Doctor!  :2funny:  :-"

bob48

We shall see! Not long to wait now.

'Clip those corners'

DoctorQuest

I liked the premier. Decent "Dr Who" kind of story and I think Jodie Whittaker nailed it.

I will certainly watch more episodes at this point.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

I like her sort of slightly manic approach.

'Clip those corners'

DoctorQuest

I don't know how much of that was contrived as "post-regeneration stress syndrome." The last scenes seemed to have her settle down a bit once she got her memories squared away.

Now it's "Where did I park my Tardis, dude?"

bob48

Yep, you're quite right, so we'll just have to wait and see, although I did read an interview with her that would seem to indicate that that is how she will play the Dr - in a slightly manic, impulsive, solutions-on-the-spur-of-the-moment sorta way.

'Clip those corners'

DoctorQuest

It does sound like it was a popular premier for what that is worth. We will see how it stands up over time.

Of course, I'll need to get a replica of the new Sonic Screwdriver (or Sonic Swiss Army Knife without the knife) to add to my collection.  :nerd: