Mass shooting in Jax, FL at Madden 19 tournament

Started by bayonetbrant, August 26, 2018, 01:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

An interesting implication is that the shooter drove from Baltimore, Maryland, to Jacksonville, FL, carrying the weapon; which suggests he always intended to use it.

The Baltimore Sun noted that court records involving the divorce of the shooter's parents, show he had "significant medical problems and healthcare needs".
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

May not have planned it JP. I know people that carry when traveling,  especially if driving.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on August 26, 2018, 08:35:48 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2018, 02:15:29 PM
As a word of caution to anybody who may be so inclined, no political discussion whatsoever.

This is a peculiar experiment that we've embarked upon. I seriously wonder what would count as political discussion in this case? If the shooter had been Muslim, or black nationalist would mentioning the fact have counted as political? What if he'd been white supremacist?

I think I understand why RPF was closed. I'm guessing that it was threatening to tear the site apart. I'm just not sure how politics can be kept out of current events. I hope this works.

I think we all know "politics" when we see it. At the very least, its obvious when a comment is "politically" charged to the extent that it risks offense, or strong disagreement. The mod team is watching and will be sure to take the appropriate action when necessary.

I am not going to publicly get into our rationale for closing RPFW at this time, but suffice it to say, it certainly wasn't helping the site or bringing our members together in a positive way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Quote from: OJsDad on August 27, 2018, 01:11:50 PM
May not have planned it JP. I know people that carry when traveling,  especially if driving.

Granted, but it may also depend on the weapon.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Wait until he gets to Hell and finds out all you're allowed to play there is that creepy Shower With Your Dad game.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 27, 2018, 01:30:46 PM

Granted, but it may also depend on the weapon.

Okay, I've seen now that it was a handgun. So yep, that could just be considered normal self-protection. I gather he didn't bring it into the gun-free zone venue first -- he went out and came back (into the zone) shooting.

Attempts to find prior motive have not turned up anything specific that I've heard yet, but have turned up something of his politics (which I won't mention here, just to be safe).

jamus34

I would agree if this guy was a FL native as I knew a TON of people who carried when I lived there.

That said carrying a firearm across multiple state lines? I know in Jersey even with an out of state permit driving while carrying will get you arrested. I would have to say this guy probably had intent.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

In the South Eastern part of the USA, if you have a concealed carry permit for a handgun most of the other states have reciprocity.  And aside from that, in most of the SE of the USA you can carry whatever in your car.

The NRA website has details on gun laws by State.  I do know that when taking shotguns in my trunk across four different SE states I did not have any concerns and none of these States had an issue.