My Life Sucks - Not Really

Started by airboy, July 12, 2018, 05:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I painted for a few months.  I would dig ditches in the Florida sun before I did that again.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I enjoy it and I'm pretty good at it. I probably would not mind doing it for a living.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

As opposed to your current job here running the asylum?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Windigo

Quote from: airboy on August 04, 2018, 03:00:39 PM
My washer might get fixed on the ninth. 

I can paint really well.  I painted as a job during college.

Nice skill to have.

I hate painting so bad that I buy the best quality paint that I can and do it right the first time - so I don't have to do it again for a long long time.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bobarossa

I once had a girlfriend who asked me to help paint her bedroom.  After about 5 minutes she asked me to stop helping (and not for the preferred reason).  Also, I made 3 attempts to work on my own car when I got out of college; they all ended badly.  However, I can build and repair PC's.  But I'm an Electrical Engineer and would be laughed out of the profession if I couldn't. 

Windigo

Quote from: bobarossa on August 08, 2018, 09:58:58 PM
I once had a girlfriend who asked me to help paint her bedroom.  After about 5 minutes she asked me to stop helping (and not for the preferred reason).  Also, I made 3 attempts to work on my own car when I got out of college; they all ended badly.  However, I can build and repair PC's.  But I'm an Electrical Engineer and would be laughed out of the profession if I couldn't.

I never knew an engineer, of any type, who didn't think they could put together a deck package, or build a fence......    :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD      L:-) L:-)

airboy

Repair guy came and replaced the pump in my washing machine.

Life is excellent once more!   :bd:

Barthheart

Windigo

Got some relatives from the spouses side staying for a day or two..... picked the hottests days of the year.... so it's deck and beer time  :bd:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Growing up in the backwoods of BC kind of forces you to become at least somewhat handy.  Even so, I was considered to be the flailing, spastic, incompetent with tools amongst my friends and not without reason.  Being a left-hander doesn't help matters, especially with things like grinders.  Anyway, my father hated doing such work and would be in a pissy mood whenever he was forced to try to build, install, or repair something.  My mother would send me out to "help" and within 10 minutes I'd be sent to fetch beer, look for a tool that didn't exist or "go bother your sister" so I never learned much from my dad.  I took various shop classes in junior high and high school and I enjoyed wood working and electronics even though my wood projects always came out looking like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree and my electrical ones usually caught fire (I did have a habit of overpowering capacitors to make them explode...)  Didn't care for metal working that much and I got kicked out of auto mechanics in the 1st week when the teacher wandered into the line of fire of the staple gun just as I was unloading on my friend's butt.

I learned bit by bit through various jobs such as land surveying, utility work in a lead refinery, enlisting as a combat engineer, and owning a shitbox car in the middle of nowhere.

I'm think still pretty crap with tools and DIY fix-it stuff but compared to friends who grew up in the city and the millennials we hire as summer co-ops where I work, I'm like freaking Schneider from One Day at a Time. 

Just replaced the kitchen faucet in my place this morning.  The old one cracked along the spout arm and was leaking fairly significantly a few days ago.  I informed my Chinese landlady and said I'd just pick a new one up, install it, and take the cost off the rent next month.  Next thing I know, two Chinese handymen are in my place wanting to install a tiny bathroom sink faucet in my kitchen and wouldn't take no for an answer.  (they also thought using teflon tape on the threads was a decadent waste of cash).  I let them get on with it and then just installed a proper one today.  Only sliced myself open on sharp metal edges twice and it's nearly straight!  I'm awesome!!!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: airboy on August 09, 2018, 03:10:06 PM
Repair guy came and replaced the pump in my washing machine.

Life is excellent once more!   :bd:

It's all about small victories and simple pleasures.

Glad to hear you're back in business, Airboy.  O0
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Windigo

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 09, 2018, 04:32:59 PM
Growing up in the backwoods of BC kind of forces you to become at least somewhat handy.  Even so, I was considered to be the flailing, spastic, incompetent with tools amongst my friends and not without reason.  Being a left-hander doesn't help matters, especially with things like grinders.  Anyway, my father hated doing such work and would be in a pissy mood whenever he was forced to try to build, install, or repair something.  My mother would send me out to "help" and within 10 minutes I'd be sent to fetch beer, look for a tool that didn't exist or "go bother your sister" so I never learned much from my dad.  I took various shop classes in junior high and high school and I enjoyed wood working and electronics even though my wood projects always came out looking like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree and my electrical ones usually caught fire (I did have a habit of overpowering capacitors to make them explode...)  Didn't care for metal working that much and I got kicked out of auto mechanics in the 1st week when the teacher wandered into the line of fire of the staple gun just as I was unloading on my friend's butt.

I learned bit by bit through various jobs such as land surveying, utility work in a lead refinery, enlisting as a combat engineer, and owning a shitbox car in the middle of nowhere.

I'm think still pretty crap with tools and DIY fix-it stuff but compared to friends who grew up in the city and the millennials we hire as summer co-ops where I work, I'm like freaking Schneider from One Day at a Time. 

Just replaced the kitchen faucet in my place this morning.  The old one cracked along the spout arm and was leaking fairly significantly a few days ago.  I informed my Chinese landlady and said I'd just pick a new one up, install it, and take the cost off the rent next month.  Next thing I know, two Chinese handymen are in my place wanting to install a tiny bathroom sink faucet in my kitchen and wouldn't take no for an answer.  (they also thought using teflon tape on the threads was a decadent waste of cash).  I let them get on with it and then just installed a proper one today.  Only sliced myself open on sharp metal edges twice and it's nearly straight!  I'm awesome!!!

sounds to me like you're a Kootenay/Selkirk Mountains Hillbilly.... awesome!!!!     :smitten: :smitten:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 09, 2018, 04:32:59 PM
....Only sliced myself open on sharp metal edges twice and it's nearly straight!  I'm awesome!!!

Had an old shop teacher that used to say
"If yer not bleedin, then yer not workin hard enough!"
:bd: