Strategic Command Classic competition

Started by Boggit, May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 24, 2018, 01:50:27 PM
Certainly the original score must be posted. I just didn't know what we were supposed to do next.

...which, I guess I still don't know.  :-\
There are 6 rounds (3 mirror games). Just have a look at the last results to see where there are gaps in your matches, and who your next opponents are.

I hope that helps. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Um, doesn't Shell get 3 and I get 1 point? (or 0 points?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Yskonyn, it could be a few days before a start the fight (I've got the first turn so I have to start it; checked tonight on a test run to be sure.) I want to take some time to study my resources, map positioning, avenues of attack, etc.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Yskonyn

I am back from vacation. Expect the turns to be coming forth!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2018, 07:08:34 PM
Um, doesn't Shell get 3 and I get 1 point? (or 0 points?)

Yes you do. To be safe rather than sorry and have to remind me to check the posts, I recommend that you send me a confirmation PM alerting me to your result success or otherwise. It is easy to sometimes gloss over a result amongst the general banter. Sorry for the oversight.

I'll post Shell's victory as Soviet in the WW2 Eastern Front, and mark you up a point too. Meanwhile I hope you and Ysk have a fun game in your next round! :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Congrats to Iudi1867 (Still holding second place) and Shell (close behind in third). Meanwhile commiserations to JasonPratt and Nelmsm on the latest result!

Round 1
Weapons and Warfare - 1941-45 Battle for Russia

Millipede (Axis) = 3
Nelmsm (Soviet) =1
Cyrano (Axis) = 1
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 3
Ethel the Frog (Axis) = 0
Yskonyn (Soviet) = 0
Father Ted (Axis) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Axis) = 1
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 3

Round 2
Patton Drives East - Stalin Drives West

Millipede (Soviet) = 6
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 1
Father Ted (Soviet) = 0
Shelldrake (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 0
Yskonyn (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0

Round 3
Pacific Theater - 1944-45 Philippines

Shelldrake (Allies) = 5
Iudi1867 (Imperial Japan) = 1
Ethel the Frog (Allies) = 0
Father Ted (Imperial Japan) = 0
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
JasonPratt (Imperial Japan) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =0
Yskonyn (Imperial Japan) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 1
Millipede (Imperial Japan) = 5

Round 4

Shelldrake (Axis) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 0
Anguille (Axis) = 0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 0
Yskonyn (Axis) = 0
Cyrano (Soviet) = 0
Nelmsm (Axis) = 0
Father Ted  (Soviet) = 0
Iudi1867(Axis) = 1
Millipede (Soviet) = 3

Round 5

Yskonyn (Soviet) = 0
Millipede(Allies) = 0
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 0
Father Ted (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Soviet) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Allies) = 0
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Allies) = 0
Nelmsm (Soviet) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0

Round 6

JasonPratt (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Imperial Japan) = 0
Father Ted  (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Imperial Japan) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0
Shelldrake (Imperial Japan) = 0
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 5
Nelmsm (Imperial Japan) = 1
Yskonyn (Allies) = 0
Millipede (Imperial Japan) = 0

Overall Score

Millipede = 17
Iudi1867 = 11
Shelldrake = 8
Anguille = 1
Nelmsm =2
Cyrano = 1
Ethel the Frog = 0
Yskonyn = 0
Father Ted = 0
JasonPratt = 1

Scoring values

Round 1/4
Victory = 3 points
Draw=2 points
Loss=1 point

Round 2/5
Soviet Decisive Victory = 6 points
Soviet Major Victory = 5 points
Soviet Minor Victory = 4 points
Allied Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Minor Victory = 4 points
Draw = 2 points Soviet, 3 points Allied
Loss = 1 point

Round 3/6
Japanese Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Minor Victory = 4 points
Draw = 2 points Allied, 3 Points Japanese
Loss 1 point

Boggit

I hope the above is all correct now?

If it needs any further updates, either because I've accidentally misreported the score, or you have a game result not recorded please do let me know, and I can correct it.

I'd like to think I'm perfect, but sadly the truth is that I'm not. :'( ;)

JasonPratt

At last, my unfated match with Yskonyn... BEGINS! LIKE OKTOBERFEST IN JULY!

Boggit

In order to put some finality on the game, what is the consensus of me adding cut-off dates for completion of the remaining games? Clearly, some of the players who originally signed up have not played their games, which has had an impact on some other active players.

To start with, I propose putting a cut-off on each round - say a week - consecutively for each game in rounds 1-3? i.e. a three week window for outstanding games in rounds 1-3.

I also suggest that active players without an opponent contact me so we can get some re-matching going, so that everyone has a chance to play their games.

OK - over to you guys. Discuss it here, then PM me as to the way you want to go with this.

JasonPratt

I'd say forfeits are better than a flat cutoff rate. It took me and Shelldrake a while to play our round, and I doubt my round with Yskonyn will take less time since the map is larger! Admittedly, part of the reason it took us so long was because I kept forgetting he had sent in his turn (and part was due to my being distracted by other things -- none of the delay was Shell's fault), but while our turnaround was kind of spotty sometimes, especially at the beginning, we did keep at it.

In some scenarios, such as both mine vs Shelldrake, and mine vs Yskonyn, one player (me in both cases) must take many hexes in order to score a decisive win, and it may not be feasible for the player to do so until late in the game: it was conceivably possible that, had I won (I didn't), I wouldn't have been able to pick up my three victory hexes until the final two or three turns. Running out of real-time game time would handicap players in that position.

It would be better to check for voluntary forfeits after a protracted silence on turns; and then to call for incidental forfeits if there's no reply to that inquiry for a while. (With the match to be returned later if the missing player shows up again, perhaps.)

That's my opinion but I might consider another position more logically fair to all players involved.  O:-)

Boggit

@JasonPratt

That seems to me a better way forward. O0

Like you, I'd like to know what people think of it.

JasonPratt

Relatedly, I haven't heard from Yskonyn since I sent my first turn back on Sept 10th (now two full weeks ago).  :-\ I hope he's okay, but we may have to put our game on abeyance.

Yskonyn

I am sorry guys. All ok here, i keep intending to play the turns but other things get in the way. Frankly, I have to admit this is because I just dont like the game too much.
At first I thought it was because of the unknown factor so I played some singleplayer, but I just have to come clean and admit the game isnt for me and stop stalling.

So if you can find a replacement for me I'd be happy. Apologies!
Also, if you want to get some form of reimbursement from me for the game send me a PM!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

That's fine; I can play the Classic version but for mechanics I much prefer the new version.  O:-)

So, am I on to Round...... five vs Shelldrake again?!

(...I haven't played rounds 3 or 4 yet.)

Boggit

I've had a couple of PM's from players whose opponents have drifted away/lost interest leaving a slight conundrum as to what next?

So the issues are:

1. Who is currently active; and
2. How do we deal with the mismatches to be fair to everyone?

Therefore, if you're currently active post below so I can see who is left in contention and have an accurate picture of the situation.

As to the mismatches, I'm inclined to either:

a) Forfeit the inactive players giving the maximum win to their opponents; or
b) Rematch the remaining players as far as possible, providing people are in favour.

I know some of you have put in a lot of effort into the competition. I don't want to act arbitrarily without the general consensus being in favour out of respect for those who have fought so doggedly.

Please let me know your thoughts.