Best WWI or WWII wargames out there so far

Started by JudgeDredd, April 19, 2018, 04:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Bison on April 21, 2018, 11:46:08 AM
Combat Commander does not have armor in any of the core rules or expansions.  There was an experimental armor supplement published in C3I (I believe this was the publication), but the rules were never really well received and not implemented into the game in any other products

So if vehicles or heavier equipment beyond some artillery is what you want in a tactical combat system CC is not the game you want to look into for that option.

Combat Commander Expansion 5: Fall of the West included the experimental AFV rules and counters from C3i.  They did seem pretty bad.  I never used them because after reading, I was completely turned off.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Bison

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 21, 2018, 08:14:31 PM

Combat Commander Expansion 5: Fall of the West included the experimental AFV rules and counters from C3i.  They did seem pretty bad.  I never used them because after reading, I was completely turned off.

Cool.  I don't have that expansion yet and didn't realize they'd put the rules in it.  Learn something new every day. :)

JudgeDredd

Whenever I opened Combat Commander Europe I was always quite relieved there was no armour. It made a nice change to just have squads of infantry
Alba gu' brath

Bison

You could just stay with the CC system and go Mediterranean or Pacific.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 21, 2018, 08:06:41 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 21, 2018, 01:42:12 PM
Another fun WW2 tactical system is Jim Day's Panzer series.  The focus is individual tanks but also has rules for infantry squads and artillery.  A fun game that has a modular rules system so you can tailor the combat to your preferences.

+1

Panzer solo has worked well for me.

Just sold my old 1993 IDF that was the last in the original Panzer/MBT line. 

Great wargame system, but I have so many unplayed tabletop games it was time to start sending some to more attention-giving households.

BanzaiCat

Heroes of Normandie might be a good one - a bit cartoony perhaps but the playthrough vids I've seen are interesting. I haven't quite gotten up the motivation to buy it yet though.

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 23, 2018, 01:45:34 PM
Heroes of Normandie might be a good one - a bit cartoony perhaps but the playthrough vids I've seen are interesting. I haven't quite gotten up the motivation to buy it yet though.

I have the computer version and it is fun. On the light side but very action-story telling....

Bison

I traded HoN away.  It was just not for me but I can see the appeal of the game.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 23, 2018, 01:45:34 PM

I think it's best played as a tabletop skirmish game without the need for minis. The scenarios are kinda meh, but building up points armies and maps and throwing down is a lot of fun.