"WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH?!" -- Lindsey Ellis autopsies the Hobbit trilogy

Started by JasonPratt, March 28, 2018, 08:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

As the first film of the Hobbit trilogy approached release, Lindsey Ellis (aka the Nostalgia Chick) launched one of her most popular video series, a longform critical look at the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Six years later, the long-expected critical poke at the Hobbit trilogy begins.  :smitten:

(I should probably add that despite its several acknowledged problems, I much enjoy the Hobbit trilogy myself.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ubercat

I thought those movies were basically just the most expensive Saturday morning cartoons ever produced. After the original LotR trilogy, they were an enormous letdown. PJ squandered a great opportunity to continue the magic, IMO.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

They weren't bad. Just not great. The third one was the best of the lot.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 28, 2018, 12:27:40 PM
They weren't bad. Just not great. The third one was the best of the lot.

Also the shortest (of all 6 films) and most R-ratedest (in the director's cut)!

It also makes me sad that we'll probably never see another update/remake to the BATTLE FOR MIDDLE-EARTH rts game.  :'(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

I didn't see the Director's cut. What was in it 'R' rated? Elf boobies? Hopefully NOT Dwarf butt-crack.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 28, 2018, 10:53:47 PM
I didn't see the Director's cut. What was in it 'R' rated? Elf boobies? Hopefully NOT Dwarf butt-crack.  :hide:

Even worse. Orc crack
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 28, 2018, 10:53:47 PM

No, they had that (edited to clarify: dwarven butt-crack, not elf boobies) in the first movie without it being rated R. (Though maybe it was unrated, I don't recall. I'll check when I get home.)

The R-rating for the director's cut, is thanks to a new sequence added to the battle where the dwarf strike team needs to get across enemy lines to scale the tower-cliff where Bolg (or whatever his name was, the primary antagonist of the trilogy) is strategically directing his troops with semaphores. Balin (or Dwalin, I forgot which one was the older dwarf veteran with the white hair) finds a dwarven battlewagon, pulled by mountain goats, and ferries the team across about five miles of field through various threats. The scythes on the wheels make a bloody mess of enemies occasionally, including decapitating some giants, and red-blooded decapitations or similar head wounds are an automatic R-rating from the MPAA. (Compare with the orc decapitations elsewhere in the series starting with Fellowship, up through Desolation in the preceding film: no blood, or else black ichor.) Naturally, PJ and his crew were shooting for this rating as their little farewell wink to the series, since they had had fun pushing the ratings system to its limit on prior LotR/Hobbit films.

Hobbit 3 also has the only overt cursing, at least by American standards, in the series, courtesy of Dain Ironfoot. His director's cut "bastards" is missing from the theatrical cut, but the British curse "sod off" was included since Americans wouldn't know what that meant.

Sir Slash

I know what it means. It means the grass 'sod' you want for your yard has fallen 'off' the truck. Kind of a strange insult, but it is Kiwi Land after all.  ;D   Thanks for the info Jason.

Gusington

'Dwarf Strike Team'

I need to join that after I retire from Gus Team Seal.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

You're never retiring from Gus Team Seal.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

You'll need to clear that with the Groginati Security Council.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth