Author Topic: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 4 Current  (Read 1023 times)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 4 Current
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
Not so much an AAR, yet, as a preliminary overview. Whether I'll get to an actual During Action Report remains to be seen. Multiplayer offers will be considered!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:41:00 AM by JasonPratt »
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Crossroads

• Man-at-Arms
  • Gott Mit Uns! - Breitenfeld 1631
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: introductory observations
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 02:05:50 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial, Jason! Top knotch stuff, I'd hope the Slitherine Twitch channel would take even half the effort to explain the details as you did here  :bd:

I have to agree, a very promising concept underneath.  am really looking forward seeing your gaming AARs though, and how you find the engine handling all the details underneath, and how realistic you find them.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
-------------------------
CS: Vietnam | CS: East Front 1939-1941 - In The Works
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 OUT NOW
-------------------------
CS:ME AARs: Draw it was: "High Water Mark" (Syria, 12 Oct 1973) Me vs Berto | "Riptide" (Libya; 6 Aug 1985) Me vs Berto | "The Crossroads" (West Bank; 5 June 1967)  Me vs Berto | "Into Africa!" (Egypt; 17 Oct 1973) Me vs Berto

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: introductory observations
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
I'm a few production-hours behind schedule this weekend, due to running across some evident bugs (and/or design kooks) in the setup phase, which took me time to suss out. That includes a(n apparent?) game-killing bug which randomly shows up, locking all pieces as though they are fixed: this wiped the results of several hours of fiddling around, during which I didn't save because I wasn't really expecting to continue anyway. I saved more often afterward. ;)

I've shot the video and audio, and I'm somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way through editing them together, but I'll be out of town for most of today on family Easter things. I MIGHT be finished editing it tonight, and if so I can upload it tomorrow while at work.
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 1 Current
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:30:14 AM »
I actually start playing "Operazione E" instead of just talking about it! Woo!  <:-)

The video should be finished uploading by mid-morning, or before noon anyway; check back to see if it's done.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 2 Current
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »
The 10th Italian Army arrives in earnest (I think) for Operation E, on Day 2!

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
Very interesting AAR Jason. Kind of reminds me of TOAW-- a little? Anyway, you're not having much trouble holding against the Italians it seems. Is the game fun to play for you?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
It's fun, but I've set up a particular mission where all I'm doing for a while is just sitting in place and assigning strategic abilities occasionally. I expect things to get more active once the Italians arrive at my southern positions and attempt to get around them. So I've chosen an ad hoc tutorial strategy.

Historically, the British didn't even try to defend the area west of Sidi Barrani, or strictly speaking even defend that area much, but withdrew the 7th Division back to the area of Mersah Matrah. From there they started launching retake operations in December (iirc). That's the earliest the North African action usually starts in other strategy games (if not much later), so I was pleased to see a mission option for Operation E.  O0 (Although I was surprised to see it rated as a balanced fight.)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 3 Current
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »

The Italians arrive near Sofafi, and my first overall strategic goal may be developing for 'tomorrow'...

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 4 Current
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:41:42 AM »

Go go British Rangers, you Ratty Desert British Rangerrrrrs!

Offline bob48

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
Re: DESERT WAR 1940-1942: "Operazione E" -- Ep 4 Current
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
Good stuff, JP. Keep 'em comin'  :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!