Desert War 1940-1942 Release date announced

Started by Slick Wilhelm, March 15, 2018, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludi1867

Great video JRP!  I do NOT often login, but I thought I would just to say Good Video!  Looking forward to the next one!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Thanks for the compliments, guys! -- I hope I'm being helpful!

I plan to go straight to Ep 1 with the next entry, since I can give practical examples from here out by actually starting the gameplay.

But I'm unlikely to post that up until something this weekend, partly due to Easter Weekend things (I have a lecture to set up on Athanasius and universal salvation), and partly because the final part of Telltale's Batman: Season Two is dropping this afternoon and I plan to spend my next 4 game hours, more or less, finishing out parts 4 and 5.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

Great job Jason! I think the developer should put you on their payroll.  :notworthy:

-budd-

Haven't watched the video yet, is DOOM involved ;)

I've had some technical problems with the game, windows popping up when i hover over buttons. After a few minutes it becomes unplayable. Narrowed it down to the orders button on the right, once i click that the windows start appearing. So far it appears to be just that one button, i'll test out the hotkeys soon. Played 5 turns without any problems when i didn't click that button.

I like what i've got to play so far hope its a success.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Johnnie

Jason:  Very good. Thanks. Please continue.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 26, 2018, 03:10:26 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on March 23, 2018, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 23, 2018, 06:31:49 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on March 23, 2018, 06:10:03 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on March 23, 2018, 05:28:42 PM
I am shocked at the luke-warm reception this game is getting with respect to its subject matter.  From AH's Afrika Korps on, the North African Campaigns have been among the most popular of consumer wargaming subjects.  The subject retains its appeal for me: WWII, mobile warfare, Germans v. Brits;  tanks, tanks and more tanks.  I guess tastes have changed.

I'm starting to think that grogheads is filled with former wargamers as opposed to active, enthusiast wargamers. Back in the day, we all would have gone apeshit for a title like Desert War. Now, we seem to find the tiniest detail warranting a pass. $40 for a wargame is too expensive? Really? Since when? I remember paying $50 for Operation Crusader back in 1994(?) and I thought it was a bargain.

I don't mean to call individuals out, and I am very much a "to each his own" kind of guy. But, geez, fellas. We're supposed to be supporting wargaming developers, are we not?

I probably wargame more in a month than you do in a year. And I spend plenty in support of devs. Sorry if an honest appraisal of a game doesn't sit well with you.

Mirth, have you played Desert War 1940-1942? I have, and I think it's a worthy title for anyone interested in the Western Desert theater of operations. If you're not interested, that's fine. But my beef is with people who wave off a game like this for something as trivial as how the counters look. The actual game play is very good! Sorry for sounding like an evangelist for Brian Kelly, but he is a really dedicated developer, and a nice guy. I wish him huge financial success with this game.
lol - I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say this was directed at me then  :buck2:

For your information, I would absolutely class myself as a "former wargamer". I still play them - but they probably get maybe at most 10% of my gaming time.

As for "waving off a game like for something as trivial as how the counters look"...sorry pal. That's me. I like nice looking games and that goes for my wargames too.

Yes, I'm afraid it was directed at you, JD. You know that I love you, mostly because we're fellow F1 enthusiasts. But I've invested so much time and effort in beta testing and creating the Player's guide for Desert War that I'm a wee bit sensitive to criticism. More than that, I hate to see you not give it a fair shake. I really believe in this game engine, after being skeptical at the beginning. I think it's as good as the Decisive Campaigns series. Sorry for ruffling feathers, everyone. I'm going to zip it and disappear for awhile to allow some healing.

JasonPratt

I'll be starting on a proper Ep 1 soon, but if anyone has the game and wants to take the Italian side on an exhibition mp (and would like to be included in video AARs of the mission), let me know!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BradS62

My word how refreshing is this compared to what I've been getting from a Youtuber who shall remain nameless :idiot2: Thank you, kind sir.

JasonPratt

The new ep is being uploaded and should be ready sometime after mid-morning, before noon!

Check here to see if it's done yet:

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

The Italians arrive near Sofafi, and my first overall strategic goal may be developing for 'tomorrow'...