Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Yeah, Battletech originally stole designs from several places including from whoever owned the Macross series (later incorporated into Robotech). That was ironed out years ago, but the influence can still be seen in some of the Mechs (slightly) even now.

The closest I ever came to playing the mini/RPG system was the Crescent Hawk duology, which my brother and I really loved. I did get Mechcommander 1 and 2 eventually (on sale in a collection somewhere), but somehow just couldn't get into it. Not enough detail compared to the Mechwarrior tactical FPS series I suppose.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Jason I was under the impression that battletech PAID for the designs from a japanese company and then was later denied them because said japanese company was not authorised to sell them?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on May 12, 2017, 09:35:43 PM
Jason I was under the impression that battletech PAID for the designs from a japanese company and then was later denied them because said japanese company was not authorised to sell them?

Here's info about the unseen
http://www.qqmercs.com/now-you-see-me-and-now-you-dont-a-brief-history-of-the-unseen/

Tpek

TBH, I haven't tried Battletech (itself, not its derivatives) in many years.
So, is it still about 100 foot tall anthropoid robots hitting each other with maces over the "head"? :P

acctingman

Quote from: Tpek on May 13, 2017, 11:22:07 AM
So, is it still about 100 foot tall anthropoid robots hitting each other with maces over the "head"? :P

Think it's more like 100 missiles shot up your arse than a mace over the head.

jamus34

I prefer the point blank particle projection cannon to the face myself
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Jump jets and Death From Above is where it's at  :bd:
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tpek

Quote from: acctingman on May 13, 2017, 02:32:56 PM

So they've made it more Anime style over the years?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on May 14, 2017, 08:11:53 AM

;D

I thought the "anime style" was big robots hitting each other over the head with swords & wotnot.  Perhaps you're thinking of the Japanese stuff (such as Robotech?).

Not really a thing in Battletech.  Ever.  Well, not since I started playing the tabletop game back in the late 80s anyway.  All about the Pew Pew and hex-based squad (and up) tactics.

jomni

They stole images of Anime robots to begin with. Hahahaha!

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on May 14, 2017, 06:58:45 PM

;D

I thought the "anime style" was big robots hitting each other over the head with swords & wotnot.  Perhaps you're thinking of the Japanese stuff (such as Robotech?).

Not really a thing in Battletech.  Ever.  Well, not since I started playing the tabletop game back in the late 80s anyway.  All about the Pew Pew and hex-based squad (and up) tactics.

I remember the game (tabletop Battletech) in the 90's.
And going over the books&manuals, it had a lot of stuff about medieval melee weapons, and rules for melee combat.

Japanese style mechs are often far more agile and fast, and tend to shoot lasers and missile swarms, and once in a while resort to giant laser swords.
They also tend to be able to turn into planes :P

HoodedHorseJoe

Went hands-on with this over the weekend. Was pretty cool. We're not allowed to talk more about it until June 1st so you'll probably see a lot of coverage on it that day.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

JasonPratt

The most recent iteration (Mechwarrior Online) still features the ability to put on articulated hands on the arms, even though they serve no useful function I've ever been able to discover. A vestigal holdover from melee weapons would make sense. But I've never once seen melee weapons used (or even separate "guns" to be "hand held"), in any computer iteration, and not that I recall in any schematics and the last I saw of those were back in the 90s. (Though to be fair, I've slept fitfully since then. ;) )

Quote from: MetalDog on May 13, 2017, 03:25:01 PM
Jump jets and Death From Above is where it's at  :bd:

Indeed; I'm upset that MO doesn't feature a down-pointing camera for this purpose (previously available in earlier versions of Mechwarrior, whenever a model had jumpjets).

However, I prefer ludicrous numbers of small caliber long distance sniping cannons, pumping out 24+ points of damage as fast as I can pull the trigger.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rybon66

I backed it during kickstarter.   I can't wait.   I still own 2 pistol guns cases of the miniatures.   I play a game a while back I still love it.   

jomni

I prefer Battleforce scale though where each unit is a lance (similar to a tank platoon).  Would love to see a computer remake.  This is a scale not tackled before.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3616/battleforce

And also The Succession Wars.  Strategic level where one unit is a division and you try to conquer the galaxy.  Would be good for a 4x title.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/succession-wars