Conan RPG (Modiphius) - Down to the wire

Started by Nefaro, July 08, 2016, 07:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Despite being impressed with what I've seen of the 2d20 system, I waffled about joining the RE Howard's Conan RPG Kickstarter while it was running.

But Modiphius has their own Pledge Manager on their site (also linked through the KS page), and their first wave was extended a bit.  So I broke down & ordered the hardback plus the massive amount of PDF source books on the way. 

Realized this would be far cheaper than purchasing the stuff later, both in hard copy and PDF format, so here I am.   :crazy2:  Hardback Core Book and all the expanded books (28?) in PDF for $80 US plus $13 shipping (not bad coming from UK). 

Anyway.. I'm not sure how much longer the plethora of package deals are going to be extended.  Judging by the KS updates, they're releasing some of the PDF versions this month and started locking in the extra Pledge Manager options (terrain tiles, etc) yesterday.

Nefaro

Arise, chicken!  Arise!

Looks like the RE Howard's Conan RPG is approaching print time.  But the extras Modiphius has been producing is the reason for this resurrection.

They posted an online Character Generator (beta) for it

http://conan.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

I think the mix of randomized & selective facets reflect the way the actual char-gen is in the game, but I haven't quite read through the pre-release core rulebook proof PDF to see yet.  Would much rather read from what will be a gorgeous hardback with all the wonderful artwork. 

Judging by past 2d20 games, I expect there to be a "lifepath" style character creation method.  Their upcoming Star Trek RPG will probably be a bit similar.

These little resources are nice.  I wish more RPG companies would produce some of these product specific extras on the web. 

Nefaro

The full-color Conan character sheet art......

:o   :o

:dreamer:

They weren't messing around.

screenshot bits:

Bison

Nice character sheet, but I think it would get annoyingly busy after awhile.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on February 06, 2017, 12:38:56 PM
Nice character sheet, but I think it would get annoyingly busy after awhile.

Yeah.  There are a few variations that are a bit less chaotic looking.  Was just struck by the inspired flair of the full treatment version.  :coolsmiley:

Dammit Carl!

Nefaro

Good lookin' book.

Smells similar to the old 2nd Edition AD&D hardbacks.  Booksniffer strikes again!   :arr:

Was surprised to see it is, "Printed In Latvia".  The spine/glue didn't crack and complain at all when opened.  Impressed with the quality of the construction.  O0

Modiphius =  :smitten:

bayonetbrant

is there a public SRD on the 2d20 system you can point me to?  I'm curious how it works
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 21, 2017, 09:24:24 AM
is there a public SRD on the 2d20 system you can point me to?  I'm curious how it works

They have Quick Starts for their 2d20 line, which come with some basics, pregen characters, and a small scenario.

I'm not sure if they have a quickstart for their upcoming Star Trek 2d20 rpg line yet.

RE Howard's Conan quick start:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

Mutant Chronicles 3rd qs:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/126929/Mutant-Chronicles-3rd-Edition-FREE-Quickstart

Infinity qs:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/159673/INFINITY-RPG-FREE-Quickstart

The 2d20 system has similarities with FFG's Star Wars; it was created by the same guy(s).  But it doesn't have the custom dice.  Uses a small d20 dice pool and d6 dice pools for damage/effects. 

It has similar concepts, such as "Momentum" - those extra successes that can be shared & spent by the whole group in order to do extra stuff.

It gives a lot of player leeway in that they have multiple point spending options to save their own biscuits, in a bad spot, or do something exceptional.  Even if they run out of these Fate-type points.  Although they build up future bad stuff the GM can do if they opt to push it beyond what they currently have, in the form of the GM's Doom pool.

Can help not only mitigated bad strings of dice rolls, but adds more group support & dynamic action mechanics to the conflicts.

They tend to have two core types of combat/damage.  Physical and Mental.  The Mental allows for morale-type attacks & intimidation, special effects (such as Stun effects from bellowing a threat or by wicked reputation), insanity/corruption, etc.  Kinda dig this extra side of it.

Nefaro

A video which describes the 2d20 system quite well. 

Especially the Momentum & Doom pools, and both Physical and Mental attacks and damage.   :bd:

Star Trek is probably very similar.  Although I doubt it has the "Display of Bravado" style mental attack options, and a few other minor bits which are setting-specific to Conan.  I'm sure ST has other unique thematic things, as does the other 2d20 titles.

Yskonyn

Holy hell, how did I miss this thread?  :bd:

Hyborea is my absolute favorite fantasy setting and once I found out about the 2d20 Conan game it really was a no-brainer, so I am in a similar position as you.
The hardback book is just gorgeous and well written too!

Over at the Fantasy Grounds forums I have started a thread to gather some people to start playing. I will be GM-ing. First time at that too.
If you can make the time zone work you're welcome to hitch a ride!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dammit Carl!

Gotta more specic thread title and location for your FG casting call?

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

BanzaiCat

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 09, 2018, 10:51:40 AM
Holy hell, how did I miss this thread?  :bd:

Hyborea is my absolute favorite fantasy setting and once I found out about the 2d20 Conan game it really was a no-brainer, so I am in a similar position as you.
The hardback book is just gorgeous and well written too!

Over at the Fantasy Grounds forums I have started a thread to gather some people to start playing. I will be GM-ing. First time at that too.
If you can make the time zone work you're welcome to hitch a ride!

:coolsmiley:

Sounds cool.  Although I don't plan on RPG'ing live on the net until later down the road. 

Would like to hear how it goes.