New game from original X-Com creator: Phoenix Point

Started by IronX, March 18, 2016, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Tpek

I've downloaded the backer build some days ago, but have yet to actually try it out :P

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

salazarus

You can buy it from their site:

https://buy.phoenixpoint.info

I don't think it's worth paying 20$ more for access to backer build. There isn't lot of game there yet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: salazarus on May 06, 2018, 10:21:17 AM
You can buy it from their site:

https://buy.phoenixpoint.info

I don't think it's worth paying 20$ more for access to backer build. There isn't lot of game there yet.

I guess it's worth it if you want to support development.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

was supposed to be released in june, now pushed back to september

Pete Dero

https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/phoenix-point-epic-store-exclusive/

It seems when Phoenix Point releases in September this year, it will be exclusively on the Epic Games store for the first year. That means the planned GOG and Steam releases will be scrapped until September 2020 at the earliest, as this is a timed exclusive.

JasonPratt

Eh, by then maybe I'll have finished one of the modern XCOM campaigns. ;)

Plus any bugs will have had reasonable post-release time to be worked out, and probably any DLC will have been released for a while.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I'm getting really sick of these Epic exclusives. it has to be hurting developers...at least in the short term.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

FlickJax

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2019, 09:54:05 AM
I'm getting really sick of these Epic exclusives. it has to be hurting developers...at least in the short term.

Pity I will stick with Steam, don't need another platform here..Steam and GOG are enough for me.

HoodedHorseJoe

If it IS hurting devs, it's not in a way that they seem to be aware of - otherwise they simply wouldn't do it. I don't think it's as simple as keeping more of the money - Steam being everywhere and on everyone's (almost) machine at this point can't be ignored, but then Fortnite player numbers are equally as ridiculous so I'm told.

So there's a lot of people Epic can push towards the store and find these games. I'd say that's theoretically as likely as people finding it on Steam at this point, given how crowded Steam's marketplace is.

Epic must have good enough numbers and a good enough speech to convince devs the Short term is fine and dandy - I see this as being more of a long-term gamble.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WargamerJoe on March 13, 2019, 10:14:59 AM

If it IS hurting devs, it's not in a way that they seem to be aware of - otherwise they simply wouldn't do it. I don't think it's as simple as keeping more of the money - Steam being everywhere and on everyone's (almost) machine at this point can't be ignored, but then Fortnite player numbers are equally as ridiculous so I'm told.

So there's a lot of people Epic can push towards the store and find these games. I'd say that's theoretically as likely as people finding it on Steam at this point, given how crowded Steam's marketplace is.

Epic must have good enough numbers and a good enough speech to convince devs the Short term is fine and dandy - I see this as being more of a long-term gamble.

Its questionable to me how diverse of a gaming crowd Fortnite players may actually be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2019, 10:34:09 AM
Its questionable to me how diverse of a gaming crowd Fortnite players may actually be.

Well, quite, and I imagine that's where most of the risk lies.

It's possible of course that Epic are somewhat 'buying' these exclusives by swallowing the risk themselves- and devs are going along with it because there does seem to be some undercurrent of resentment as to how Valve handles things and operators (and whether or not they earn that 30%).

So perhaps the Fortnite base isn't as reliable as Steam's, but one thing's for sure - they're giving Epic enough money to throw around to try these kinds of things in the first place.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

PanzersEast

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WargamerJoe on March 13, 2019, 10:41:54 AM

So perhaps the Fortnite base isn't as reliable as Steam's, but one thing's for sure - they're giving Epic enough money to throw around to try these kinds of things in the first place.

After all, there would be no steam if it wasn't for Half-Life...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog