Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 17, 2018, 05:12:08 PM
Think I am done for now....

A neighboring faction in each of it's 6 systems along our border has 9 defense platforms per system.  As well as, 2 25K+ fleets, 3 citadels, and various defense stations sprinkled out.  They only have 16 systems under their control and I have 4X that and cannot afford what they are paying for..... sorry, but that is total BS, no way I can invade as their defense platforms weaken my fleets and then their fleets swoop in to finish them off... I mean their platforms are like 7~8K in power.  On Normal btw.....

I've experienced the same issue. Very frustrating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: OJsDad on March 17, 2018, 05:46:16 PM
Just out of curiosity PE, are you using the beta patch.

I am not running the beta patch.... however looking at the upcoming patch this is not addressed in the AI

###################
# AI
###################
* AI now activates some of its anti-crisis logic when under threat from a mid-game crisis like the Great Khan
* AI no longer picks shared destiny unless it has at least one vassal
* Added separate definitions for mid-game and end-game crisis factions, with slightly different AI logic to respond to them
* Fixed another cause of AI endlessly inviting player to the same war

Overall I am disappointed in the way the AI handles their empires...... I've watched several emerge and expand at a uncharacteristic rate in terms of balance and budget.  I almost think it is better to start with pre-defined borders and then branch out and explore with space from there - ala EUIV.

Kushan

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 17, 2018, 07:38:09 PM
Overall I am disappointed in the way the AI handles their empires...... I've watched several emerge and expand at a uncharacteristic rate in terms of balance and budget.  I almost think it is better to start with pre-defined borders and then branch out and explore with space from there - ala EUIV.

That option would be nice.

I think the game needs to steal some additional ideas from EUIV. Trade lanes being one of them. I would give light ships something useful to do other then sit in orbit around your capital starbase in between wars and  hunting pirates. It would also further take away from wanting to concentrate all your forces into a death stack.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

FarAway Sooner

So, I hadn't played this game in about a year, and I'm really liking the changes so far (not playing with the patch yet).  I'd grown to an Empire of 6 or 7 systems, and had intentionally gone for a "wide" versus "deep" build on the theory that I just needed to be able to last long enough to survive.

I found myself bounded by two Slaver empires (I was a radical Egalitarian) who didn't like me from the get-go, and while I had a couple allies, they were on the other side of the bad guys.  I'd pried away a few systems in my first war with them (triggered by their aggression, of course), and was enjoying the respite to expand in the other direction.

The slower warp movement makes it a real priority to upgrade both hyperdrives and sublight engines, and while I'd been doing the best I could there, it wasn't quite good enough.  I could field two big fleets but had a huge empire to cover.  A big-ass pirate fleet spawned in my hinterlands and started rampaging through my frontier sectors, so I had to dispatch one of my two main battle fleets to beat it.  Just as that fleet made it 2/3 of the way across my space, another war broke out!

This time I was caught with my pants down, and they had enough numerical advantage to grind my Starbase down before my relief fleet got there.  At that point, the writing was on the wall and I retired.  The tactical combat is still relatively hands-off, but I'm enjoying the ability to tweak different systems and ship design to get the right weapons mix.  I just wish my Fleet admirals didn't get negative traits every time they lost a battle, or even sometimes when they won one!

CJReich46

I found a cool mod on Steam - It has Venus and Mars terraformed! So I might give it a go with it in my next play through.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Stryker07

I am pretty happy with 2.0 myself. Once I set hyperlanes to x0.75 it made the game play as I think was intended. Resource management seems harder now, especially energy credits as I seem to always be running like +5 midgame, and end up having to either use an edict costing influence, or use the commerce enclaves to trade minerals for energy at a loss to me. I have only done runs as Democracy and Imperial government types, and in the latter influence can be hard to come by.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

OJsDad

Stryker, I also use the .75 setting for the hyperlanes.  Anything else just seems like too many connections.  Though there are times with the .75 setting that it seems like it could use a few more. 

In my current game I'm using several mods along with the beta patch.  The mods are;

The lates New Ship Classes (NSC2 Season 1 Episode 3)
UI Overhaul 1080p Plus.  (Need this for the NSC2 mod so some of the ship modules will show even though my monitor isn't 1080p)
Glavius Ultimate AI Megamod
EG - Larger Galaxy Sizes (I'm using a 4 arm 2000 star galaxy setting)
Extra Leaders (Could never figure out in a space empire you would have so few leaders)
Just Star Names
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Finished my campaign with a domination victory by colonizing or capturing 96 planets.  I'd never actually completed a campaign before (patches always ruined my saves in the past). Pretty underwhelming victory display!  Oh well.  I had a lot of fun with it in the early stages but post-crisis was a bit of a grind.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

FarAway Sooner

So, I've been playing a while longer (still at the Regular difficulty level), and after a little more play, I'm finding myself in a familiar space somewhere in the mid-game.

I've expanded my empire to 30 or 40 systems, I've got 7 or 8 inhabited worlds (all in my Core Sector, as I took the Expansion Perk), and I've now got 100+ monthly mineral production, 60-85 of each research type, 10-20 Energy Surplus, and 15-25 food production.  My politics is limiting the number of new Starbases/systems I can build, and my Energy is putting a cap on deepening my existing planets or terraforming new ones.  There are some really bad guys in the galaxy, but none of them neighbor me and I'm fairly cozy with my allies.

I have another dozen or so systems I've sealed off from Rival empires, but I can only expand into them slowly.  Manually upgrading my planetary facilities and shifting Pops around for maximum benefit optimizes things a little, but only on the margins.  Do I just spend the next 20-50 years grinding on Political points, technology and Energy production before embarking on my next wave of expansion?  That sounds dreadful...

OJsDad

Nefaro

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 28, 2018, 11:51:44 AM
Do I just spend the next 20-50 years grinding on Political points, technology and Energy production before embarking on my next wave of expansion?  That sounds dreadful...

Definitely sounds like a Paradox game campaign, starting as a small power!  :))

Barthheart

2.02 patch released today. Very long patch notes can be found here:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-official-2-0-2-patch-released-checksum-5e2f.1084988/

Quote* Afterburners can no longer be installed on defense platforms, as lovely as it was to uselessly vent fuel in to space as a gesture of contempt to environmentalists
;D

spelk

A good beginners guide for anyone considering starting up in Stellaris...

CJReich46

Some news-ish. It seems they are hinting at "Mapping starlanes."

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose