Methamphenamine Use in World War II

Started by Labbug, June 25, 2019, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nazi-soldiers-used-super-drug-in-world-war-ii

I did not think the use of methamphenamine was as wide spread as this article makes it out to be.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Saw the show on PBS.  It did reveal many uses that I had not ever heard of.  The RAF issued Benzedrine to pilots during Battle of Britain to keep alert and tostay aggressive.
The Luftwaffe did much the same.
What surprised me is that they found a memo from Eighth Army's medical officer giving instructions on using amphetamines.  The show made it sound like the troops took it consistently to avoid the down effects after so many hours.  The rather well known destruction of 24th Armored Brigade, is suggested to be a result of the amphetamine high.

Had read that Station Hypo, the codebreakers in Hawaii, kept a fishbowl full of "Goofballs" to stay alert with the pressure of breaking thousands of IJN messages each day.

And in one of the James Bond novels, Godlfinger?, Bond takes a drink laced with Benzedrine to be fully alert for a hand of bridge that he's bet up to some incredible value.  The way Fleming describes the effect of the drug makes it seem likely he had used it.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

WallysWorld

The PBS show was very interesting. Well worth watching.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson